I have decided to dump CF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
This is concerning to read, I am using Comodo as well and have been really happy with it until I just had a confidence shaker myself!

Just a few days ago I done the new update, and for some reason I had to disable the firewall to be able to access the network share on my misses PC. For a good 10 minutes I was arguing it with her that she must have done something to permissions or something like that before I got to the 'disabling the fire wall' check (coz of course I'm completely assuming the problem isn't on my end :p)... When sure enough, I disable my firewall, and that was it! ...Well, didn't I look like the proper computer jerk! :D

That's when I realized I hadn't tried accessing any network folders since before the update. Even after setting an exception in the config (again for some reason), it still won't allow access if the firewall is on, I have to deactivate it each time I want to access a file over the network. After a bit of snooping I can't work out where it went wrong. I think it was a botched update or something, but since it's messed with whatever and I couldn't seem to manage a quick solution , I'm just going ahead with a fresh full install tomorrow. It will end up being less of a headache I think.

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
@Umbra Polaris ..Can you really achieve the same with Windows firewall? Honestly, I haven't even looked at it since playing around with it in the early days of XP. That advice is not what I expected, I mean if I can get the same functionality out of OS native utilities, I'll happily take that any day. I have only every heard it spoken low of, so I've never invested my efforts on it.
I will look into it though, are recommendations where to look for decent guidance on getting the most out of Windows firewall?

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
@Umbra Polaris ..Can you really achieve the same with Windows firewall? Honestly, I haven't even looked at it since playing around with it in the early days of XP. That advice is not what I expected, I mean if I can get the same functionality out of OS native utilities, I'll happily take that any day. I have only every heard it spoken low of, so I've never invested my efforts on it.
I will look into it though, are recommendations where to look for decent guidance on getting the most out of Windows firewall?

Lots has changed since the crappy windows XP crap firewall.
Within Windows 7 and 8 the old firewall has been replaced by Windows Advanced Firewall, and even considering that it looks the same on the surface, under the hood there are LOTS of goodies and features that most people do not even know.

Windows Firewall Windows Firewall is substantially changed from the version in Windows XP. As in Windows Vista, it is a two-way firewall, monitoring outbound traffic as well as inbound, and it fully supports Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6). In Windows 7, Windows Firewall adds multiple access firewall profiles, a feature that provides appropriate protection for each connected network when you’re connected to more than one at a time—an increasingly common situation. With an advanced configuration console for Windows Firewall, administrators have granular control over firewall rules and other settings.

And in the latest tests it actually beats Comodo as a pure firewall, Sure Comodo HIPS and specific features might be better but as a firewall Comodo got smacked silly. (Its all over their forum and they are NOT happy about it and they did open up not ONE box of excuses, but a whole army of excuses and i personally enjoyed it very much to see some of their staff crawl like a snake trough hot sand when they explained that the report could be faulty afterall how could comodo ever being beaten by MS Firewall? that must hurt ALOT)
Now personally i am not a fan of the Windows firewall, but combined with Smartscreen, Windows Defender/ MS Antivirus + MS Updates you can achieve pretty much the same level of protection then any combi out there.
Also something to remember is that software firewalls go only so far, the real protection comes from your router build in HARDWARE firewall, which is so much better then 300 Comodo firewalls + 1000 Windows firewalls, that one could argue that having ANY software firewall is irrelevant because your build in router firewall will do a MUCH better job and it does not even use system resources.

But then again kids like to play with goodies and toys to give them a secure feeling and make them feel tough fact is that due to their browser habits NO firewall on earth can protect them from their stupidity.
Anyway that being said i share the idea that windows firewall is bad, but within Windows 7 and 8 it has become one of the best for the average home user and paired up with the available microsoft addons it can outperform big boys like Zonealarm and comodo.

So what can i say?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Many people seems to forget than a firewall is supposed to monitor and control outbound/inbound connections and nothing more. Some hardware routers just protect you from inbound ones but let outbound ones go wild.

Now if you dont need extra features likes HIPS and Co; WF will do the job perfecty.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Many people seems to forget than a firewall is supposed to monitor and control outbound/inbound connections and nothing more. Some hardware routers just protect you from inbound ones but let outbound ones go wild.

Now if you dont need extra features likes HIPS and Co; WF will do the job perfecty.

True, thats why windows Fw will come in handy, however here in the netherlands if you get internet then your ISP is providing you with a router and it has a buildin and tuned SPI 2 way firewall with loads of options, these firewalls are based upon their simple costumer versions but they have been tuned to meet ISP standards which happen to be pretty high here in the Netherlands (At least in most cases)
If one is just browsing the net and just visit sensible sites that are clean and well maintained & Known and you use common sense in all other browser habbits then what are the odds that you are actually going to need a HIPS firewall with lots of agressive tools like found in Comodo?

Reactions: Venustus
D

Deleted member 178

exact, now HIPS became obsolete and are replaced by the more intelligent BB ( even Emsisoft ditched its HIPS on their next EIS)

Reactions: Nico@FMA

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
exact, now HIPS became obsolete and are replaced by the more intelligent BB ( even Emsisoft ditched its HIPS on their next EIS)

Also the N-Gen Firewalls are in most cases taking security to a whole new level, Not to mention that western nations within the EU and obviously US are adopting totally new standards to upgrade the very internet itself, so home users will see that their security products delivered by their ISP itself will become so much more simple, yet WAY more advanced and capable.
And hackers will still pose a serious risk but given the latest developments within the security industry it has become hard times for the average hacker as they just do not have the resources to keep up.

In the old days even a "kid" script kiddy could rain fire down on a network or pc and feel god for a few hours, but nowadays those kids found out that life has become difficult and the remaining risk posed by hackers comes from the bigger boys, but they do not have much interest in a EU or US based pc or network if they still can hack over 800 million computers found in south america or africa where the average nation still uses outdated software. Why going trough the hassle if you can get it just like that.

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

glasswitch

Level 2
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Are you happy running Windows 7 instead of 8.1? I have tolerated 8.1 for a few months and really really don't like it, even using Stardock Start 8. Want to install Windows 7, but a bit worried, I am fairly good with computers but worried that I might mess it up!

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
You can but it requires a lot more
I don't think so, i'm using it & quiet happy with that. it's not buggy like comodo.
Everybody against Comodo:mad::p
It's FREE and BUGGY what more could you ask for?:p

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
Thanks for the advice guys, very informative. Here in Australia, we are generally not offered ISP security services. They give you some copper wire to connect to the grid and it's pretty much fend for self. Personally, I use a gateway machine built on ClearOS (based on CentOS and Red Hat Enterprise Linux). It uses iptables for stateful firewall and includes SNORT for intrusion detection and prevention. But I do like to still have each node pretty well guarded, not just from external threats, but also anything that the family either brings into the network and to make sure nothing gets out that may have made it's way in.

I definitely don't feel secure that every threat can be easily detected, especially with methods like encrypting and appending network traffic to legitimate traffic and other more complex methods of traversal which I don't fully understand. It still doesn't give me confidence that I am secure, but at least I can know that I have done everything I can within my understanding to ensure my security.

I also weigh up practicality/feasibility over functionality/usability. I try to use the best balance as a standpoint to work from, so if investing my time in something to gain same or similar results as something else which costs little investment of time in comparison, I have a clear winner. Problem is, there is rarely a clear winner.

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
In exchange for what? :-0

Past week or so I've been searching for a firewall that will run in Oracle VM Virtualbox (on Windows 8.1 update), because Comodo can't do it. :-f && so far been unable to find a replacement that makes sense..

Most have application control coupled with the firewall and some *automatic* settings where we are supposed to TRUST Windows Services and applications - that have been arranged by the software vendor - which defeats the whole purpose of having a firewall (might as well be using the built-in one, rly!); or they don't have the simplest, of simple:

a prompt for application/protocol/port::allow/deny

(and ask for each new connection the program will solicit)

Every single program, that was any good in the past seems to have gone down the drain :-(
(Even ZoneAlarm has been 'modernized', pftt)

I am using Windows Firewall now without any problems. Any firewall which interferes with WU is a complete failure in my eyes (like it or not). Plus, there are way too many bugs like some of you guys have already mentioned above.

And last but not least, the Comodo community is full of stupid fan boys who wouldn't listen to you one bit and accept the shortcomings instead they deny and argue valiantly which also further eliminates the possibility of any improvement.

Last edited:

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
I never had that issue with CF but I do Windows Update manually. Have been down and out doing it automatically before the reason why I do it that way now. I also wait a while (a week mostly) so if there are glitches on some patches I'll not be affected directly. But I do agree that Comodo has had bugs that tend to surface and not be remedied effectively. Glad Sher sorted it out :)

Reactions: Terry Ganzi
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.