I have gone back to NOD 32.

Mar 10, 2024
But even in lab tests, Eset is always almost the absolute leader in terms of no false positives, isn't it? In my experience, it has never triggered any false positives at all. đź‘€
In your experience with Eset, did you configure the HIPS with custom rules? This is what @Shadowra is referring too. Out of the box Eset provides strong protection but it's balanced for security and usability like many products only Eset has the ability to add custom rules to its HIPS and depending on version, it's firewall as well.

Reactions: Nevi and Shadowra

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
In your experience with Eset, did you configure the HIPS with custom rules? This is what @Shadowra is referring too.
Then there was a misunderstanding. But, HIPS triggers in manual mode are just notifications rather than false positives. For a high level of security, you can simply put HIPS in learning mode for a week on a fully configured machine, and only then put it in manual mode. But I don't do that, in my opinion Smart Security out of the box is enough, I just increase detection levels a bit for machine learning and activate a couple more side settings.

Mar 10, 2024
Then there was a misunderstanding. But, HIPS triggers in manual mode are just notifications rather than false positives. For a high level of security, you can simply put HIPS in learning mode for a week on a fully configured machine, and only then put it in manual mode. But I don't do that, in my opinion Smart Security out of the box is enough, I just increase detection levels a bit for machine learning and activate a couple more side settings.
Adding custom rules is a bit different than just setting hips in manual mode. When creating custom rules you specifically designate an action of allow/block or ask.

Learning mode into smart mode is sufficient for most users wanting increased security measures.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Not that it really matters, maybe, but what I ran a trial of ESET back 8 months ago, I couldn't find a Quick Scan option, and found a link to their forum post mentioning that they don't include it, as the real time protection and on-access scanning take care of it. Is that correct, or didn't I know where to look in the app itself?

Reactions: Nevi and vtqhtr413
Mar 10, 2024
Not that it really matters, maybe, but what I ran a trial of ESET back 8 months ago, I couldn't find a Quick Scan option, and found a link to their forum post mentioning that they don't include it, as the real time protection and on-access scanning take care of it. Is that correct, or didn't I know where to look in the app itself?
It does not have a quick scan, you can use a smart scan or a custom scan, although the reason it does not have a quick scan is there is a automatic start up scan that already does a quick check in memory and autorun locations.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Man I haven’t used ESET in several years. I tweaked the HIPS for ransomware. Not sure if I’d bother doing that again, but it was kind of fun at the time. Just like Defender it has a good balance out of the box.

Mar 10, 2024
Does ESET NOD32 have a way to save your configuration ? Or do you have to re-do it every time you re-install it?

Also, does ESET NOD32 have an offline installer ? Or does the installer have to work online ?
Yes you can save/import/export the xml file

Offline installer:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.