Troubleshoot I have to press every time F12 to boot correctly my laptop

VladDracul

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
after the Acer logo,all i get is a black screen and a blinking cursor on the upper left corner
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I tried troubleshooting and startup problems with a bootable Windows 10 stick,troubleshooting with the Macrium Tecnician recovery boot ISO and with the Boot Repair Disk.
Hi guys and thanks in advance for your patience and if you are reading this.I really dont know what happened,but after i restored a backup image,i realized that my laptop after recovery wont boot anymore correctly.What i mean is that after the Acer logo,all i get is a black screen and a blinking cursor on the upper left corner.I didn't do and didn't change anything on my laptop...i only deleted and merge with my C Drive 2 little recovery partitions remained after windows update to version 1809,and i really dont think that would be a cause....I tried troubleshooting and startup problems with a bootable Windows 10 stick,troubleshooting with the Macrium Tecnician recovery boot ISO and with the Boot Repair Disk....nothing...tried these too - Use SFC /SCANNOW to Repair System Files ,Run CHKDSK to Repair Boot Drive...and when i thought that reinstalling Windows 10 will end this,wrong....after copying files and restart....the black screen is still there...so,as the title of this post is showing...i press the power button to start my laptop,and immediately i have to press F12 to choose manually every time to boot Windows 10 Home installed from a WD 240 Gigs SSD as C Drive.
Any help would be much much appreciated,thank you.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Just burn the original windows ISO to a dvd.choose the partiton as DVD/Usb in the menu.

Insert the disk it auto boots via DVD.
Format the entire hard disk including dual os and install fresh copy in C partition.

The issue is DUAL Boot..you/ someone might have installed two OS on 2 separate partition in a single hard disk

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Hi guys and thanks in advance for your patience and if you are reading this.I really dont know what happened,but after i restored a backup image,i realized that my laptop after recovery wont boot anymore correctly.What i mean is that after the Acer logo,all i get is a black screen and a blinking cursor on the upper left corner.I didn't do and didn't change anything on my laptop...i only deleted and merge with my C Drive 2 little recovery partitions remained after windows update to version 1809,and i really dont think that would be a cause....I tried troubleshooting and startup problems with a bootable Windows 10 stick,troubleshooting with the Macrium Tecnician recovery boot ISO and with the Boot Repair Disk....nothing...tried these too - Use SFC /SCANNOW to Repair System Files ,Run CHKDSK to Repair Boot Drive...and when i thought that reinstalling Windows 10 will end this,wrong....after copying files and restart....the black screen is still there...so,as the title of this post is showing...i press the power button to start my laptop,and immediately i have to press F12 to choose manually every time to boot Windows 10 Home installed from a WD 240 Gigs SSD as C Drive.
Any help would be much much appreciated,thank you.
I think there is a problem with keyboard that is triggering hardware errors during POST. Try cleaning the keyboard cable and touchpad cable, both are dependent on each other. The main symptoms you observe is laggy keyboard response or delayed typing speed.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You probably have to change the boot order. If pressing F12 and choosing your windows installation allows you to boot, that means everything is okay, you just need to set your windows installation as the first choice in the boot order.

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
You probably have to change the boot order. If pressing F12 and choosing your windows installation allows you to boot, that means everything is okay, you just need to set your windows installation as the first choice in the boot order.
Systems that use Insyde BIOS use this kind of method to alert the user. I was spending close to 6hrs to find the same issue on my uncle's laptop which exhibited similar symptoms.

Upvote 0

VladDracul

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
Thank you guys for the replies and sorry if i don't reply individually to each one of you.
Some details though....the boot order is fine,the SSD C Drive partition is already set first to boot-i even restored the defaults settings in BIOS,nothing changed...i don't have a dual boot system,just my Windows Home...
I will try to clean the cables,although the keyboard works super fine...i rarely using it(almost at all in fact),as i have my laptop connected to TV
I will try to boot from a Windows DVD installation as mentioned to see if i succeed to reinstall the OS.

Systems that use Insyde BIOS use this kind of method to alert the user. I was spending close to 6hrs to find the same issue on my uncle's laptop which exhibited similar symptoms.
Any luck with that?

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Thank you guys for the replies and sorry if i don't reply individually to each one of you.
Some details though....the boot order is fine,the SSD C Drive partition is already set first to boot-i even restored the defaults settings in BIOS,nothing changed...i don't have a dual boot system,just my Windows Home...
I will try to clean the cables,although the keyboard works super fine...i rarely using it(almost at all in fact),as i have my laptop connected to TV
I will try to boot from a Windows DVD installation as mentioned to see if i succeed to reinstall the OS.

Any luck with that?
It was keyboard and mouse having dirt but I diagnosed it via Teamviewer and he said let's leave it and my cousin accidentally pressed on Fn Lock key on the affected laptop which was Thinkpad and problem was solved mysteriously but came back again!

Upvote 0

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Very old post but just saying, setting the boot order correctly is the way to go like many suggested. Nowadays we have secure boot and if you enable that your boot order will never automatically change again and it will always boot Windows boot manager unless changed manually. So, enabling secure boot is not only improves security but also comes handy in situation like this.
Some BIOS may have CSM enabled by default for legacy support so CSM needs to be disabled for secure boot to be enabled.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.