Advice Request I need help deciding buying a new cpu that is compatible with my mb or buy a new mb and a cpu

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Plebman123

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
Like the title i need help deciding on a new cpu that is compatible with my current MB or buy a new MB and a new cpu.
k4XQ8OB.png
4qRbJWV.png
Ztxf5Mm.png

These are the highest ones compatible with my Motherboard, i just need help deciding
Forgot to add my CPU is i3 4170 Dual-core 3.7 Ghz
Workload: Games like PUBG or FF14 and Graphic art rendering,etc
Budget: Around 250-300

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

These days, you go for a Ryzen. So new MB and CPU.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler will set you back a mere $190 or so and it will kill almost anything out there anywhere near that price range. Toss in a well rated motherboard and DDR4 and you are set.

Reactions: brambedkar59

Plebman123

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
These days, you go for a Ryzen. So new MB and CPU.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler will set you back a mere $190 or so and it will kill almost anything out there anywhere near that price range. Toss in a well rated motherboard and DDR4 and you are set.
What do you think of
AMD A10-Series APU A10-7850K
since i was looking at tests on cpuboss and this was one of the tops i might go with this but ill look at your recommendation too :giggle:

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
These days, you go for a Ryzen.
Not me. And not a lot of other people either. Ryzens are good processors but they are not the answer for everyone.

Something else to consider is a new motherboard is considered a new computer in terms of software licensing. Not all software licenses are legally transferable to new computers. This is primarily true of OEM software - software that came pre-installed on computers, or was bought for a specific computer. This most commonly includes Windows licenses. If your current license is an OEM/System builder's license that came with or was purchased for that computer (and since it appears to be a HP computer, it most likely is an OEM license), you cannot legally use it with a new motherboard. Note this includes upgrades (like W10) that was authorized based on an OEM W7 or W8.1 license.

So if you do get a new motherboard, you will most likely need to buy a new Windows license too - unless you want to be using Windows illegally.

Also, you didn't post the board/computer specs so we can't be sure but there is a good chance your current motherboard supports DDR3 RAM. Most new boards support the newer and better type RAM, DDR4. So if you buy a new board, you likely need to buy new RAM too.

So while Intels tend to cost more, a new Intel will probably cost considerably less than a new motherboard, new RAM, new AMD processor, and a new Windows license too.

Since you are starting out now with a dual core i3, a nice quad i5 will provide a very significant and enjoyable performance boost without breaking the bank.

Reactions: AnonMan

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Workload: Games like PUBG or FF14 and Graphic art rendering,etc
Budget: Around 250-300
Go with i7 4790 (it's the best chip in this list), if you can find it at at decent price.
But if you want to future proof (with obviously higher budget), save some money, and go with ryzen 5 especially for rendering purposes.

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
save some money, and go with ryzen 5 especially for rendering purposes.
A new AMD based motherboard, new DDR4 RAM, new Windows license on top of the cost of a new Ryzen 5 will save money over just a new i7 4790???

Umm, I think not.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
A new AMD based motherboard, new DDR4 RAM, new Windows license on top of the cost of a new Ryzen 5 will save money over just a new i7 4790???

Umm, I think not.
I think it's pretty obvious from my post that it will cost more to go this route and OP will need to save some money for it.
Edit: And please don't quote a single line from a complete sentence, cause then it will not show its true meaning.

Last edited:

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
If it was obvious, I would not have questioned it. My quote did not take your comment out of context. But if it makes you feel better,
Go with i7 4790 (it's the best chip in this list), if you can find it at at decent price.
But if you want to future proof (with obviously higher budget), save some money, and go with ryzen 5 especially for rendering purposes.

Umm, I think not.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.