SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Why is my USB Flash Drive listed as a Drive 1 Partition 1?
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
Guys, I am seriously need help. Why is my UEFI GPT Bootable Windows 10 installation media USB listed on where do you want to install Windows? I try to install Windows 10 in UEFI. I download the Media Creation Tool and then choose ISO and then burn ISO to Rufus software to USB drive in UEFI that listed here: How to install Windows 10 from USB with UEFI support
USB Flash Drive was set to FAT32. Both Drive 0 and Drive 1 were GPT.
Drive 0 Unallocated Space : SSD
Drive 1 Partition 1: My UEFI USB Bootable Windows 10. Type is Primary as well.
HELP.jpg

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I would advise you, to use the media creation tool, it will burn the ISO to your flash drive for you, you will need to delete the contents of the flash drive first by formatting the flash drive.

I manual set my USB flash drive to GPT, will that going to reset as well? Now I have to choose USB Flash Drive when Windows Installation Media asks me Choose Which Media To Use?

Upvote 0

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Forget how WinRe or WinPE manages the disk's letters and numbers. Just click to install Windows on unallocated space and Windows will partition automatically and create EFI System Partition (no letter, hidden, FAT32), Recovery Partition (OEM, NTFS) and C Partition

^This!

Well remove USB flash after installed it so that mean the drive (SSD) will be primary? see what happens?

Reactions: vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
When you attach that USB drive does Windows Explorer sees it as a removable drive or as an internal drive?

Yes. That is why it show up in " Where do you want to install Windows " windows along with my SSD. My SSD should be the only drive show up in " Where do you want to install Windows " windows.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Here is the screenshot of File Explorer on my laptop.
Remove the drive letter associated.

Press: Windows Key + X, click Disk Management, Right-Click on the Drive, click "Change Drive Letters and Paths", click "Remove" then click "ok" then Eject the flash drive from the system, and plug it back in again.

Reformat the flash drive, and use the media creation tool to burn the ISO to it.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Remove the drive letter associated.

Press: Windows Key + X, click Disk Management, Right-Click on the Drive, click "Change Drive Letters and Paths", click "Remove" then click "ok" then Eject the flash drive from the system, and plug it back in again.

Reformat the flash drive, and use the media creation tool to burn the ISO to it.

When I remove the drive letter on my 64Build1803 USB, File Explorer will not show my USB drive at all. I can see my USB drive in Disk Management, but not in File Explorer. I have two 32GB USB flash drive, and when I plugged both in, it will listed the same thing in screenshot_3.png. Here is the screenshot of my 2nd USB drive plugged into a different USB port.
Screenshot_6.png

Upvote 0
I

illumination

When I remove the drive letter on my 64Build1803 USB, File Explorer will not show my USB drive at all. I can see my USB drive in Disk Management, but not in File Explorer. I have two 32GB USB flash drive, and when I plugged both in, it will listed the same thing in screenshot_3.png. Here is the screenshot of my 2nd USB drive plugged into a different USB port.View attachment 187869
Format the flash drive now, and eject it when finished and plug it back in. It would be best to do a full format and not a quick one, choosing either NTFS or FAT32.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Format the flash drive now, and eject it when finished and plug it back in. It would be best to do a full format and not a quick one, choosing either NTFS or FAT32.

I am doing it right now and it is below 10%. I am doing a full format in Disk Management > right click on 64Build1803 USB > uncheck quick format.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

I am doing it right now and it is below 10%. I am doing a full format in Disk Management > right click on 64Build1803 USB > uncheck quick format.
WHen finished, eject it, then plug it back in, it should be recognized as a removable drive. Then use the media creation tool and burn the ISO directly from the media creation tool to the flash drive. Once finished, power down the system, boot into BIOS, adjust your boot order to boot from the flash drive first, and proceed with installing windows 10 cleanly.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I took this picture before formating 64Build1803 USB drive. I just installed Windows 8.1 from official Microsoft DVD that I got from Amazon and it is my Windows OS before upgraded to Windows 10. In Windows 8.1, its showed my USB flash drive under Devices and Drives showed in Screenshot_3.PNG in my post #27 . As matter of fact, In Windows 10 Build 1709 and upgraded to 1803 still show the same thing. All my removable drives listed under Devices and Drives in File Explorer. When I plugged in a removable drive, I get this notification that is showed in Screenshot_5.png attached in this post. Same thing with Windows 8.1 .

Now I need to figure out why the bloody hell my bootable USB flash drive showed itself in " Where do you want to Install Windows?" windows when it is not supposed to.
Screenshot_5.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Weebarra
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
My bootable USB flash drive still show up in Windows Setup at " Where do you want to install Windows" page. What the heck. I follow this video, and his/her USB flash drive doesn't show up in the Windows Setup. I tried Rufus, and Windows Media Creation Tool to USB.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

Yes I did all of them, every single one of them. It is still show up in Windows Setup > Where do you want to install Windows. I tried it on my laptop as well and here are the pictures of it. I can't delete, extend, format, and new my Windows 10 Installation Media USB. Literary nothing at all.
Here are some screenshots on my laptop.

gvB7M0Z.jpg

jcLoUdS.jpg

Here is the picture of diskpart CMD codes.
Um7lJ1r.png

I just installed Windows 8.1 on my Desktop from official Microsoft DVD that I got from Amazon and it is my Windows OS before upgraded to Windows 10. In Windows 8.1, its showed my USB flash drive under Devices and Drives showed in Screenshot_3.PNG in my post #27 . As matter of fact, In Windows 10 Build 1709 and upgraded to 1803 still show the same thing. All my removable drives listed under Devices and Drives in File Explorer. When I plugged in a removable drive, I get this notification that is showed in Screenshot_5.png attached in this post. Same thing with Windows 8.1 .

Here is a screenshot of File Explorer on my laptop.
hXhLh1X.png

Upvote 0

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Yes I did all of them, every single one of them. It is still show up in Windows Setup > Where do you want to install Windows. I tried it on my laptop as well and here are the pictures of it. I can't delete, extend, format, and new my Windows 10 Installation Media USB. Literary nothing at all.
Here are some screenshots on my laptop.

gvB7M0Z.jpg
LOL

Win10 must be installed in the ACER partition (drive 1 partition 3) , 118gb is the size of the SSD; select it, and install Win10 there.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
LOL

Win10 must be installed in the ACER partition (drive 1 partition 3) , 118gb is the size of the SSD; select it, and install Win10 there.

I tried to check if my USB show up in Windows Setup tested on my laptop and it does show up in Windows setup.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.