SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Why is my USB Flash Drive listed as a Drive 1 Partition 1?
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
Guys, I am seriously need help. Why is my UEFI GPT Bootable Windows 10 installation media USB listed on where do you want to install Windows? I try to install Windows 10 in UEFI. I download the Media Creation Tool and then choose ISO and then burn ISO to Rufus software to USB drive in UEFI that listed here: How to install Windows 10 from USB with UEFI support
USB Flash Drive was set to FAT32. Both Drive 0 and Drive 1 were GPT.
Drive 0 Unallocated Space : SSD
Drive 1 Partition 1: My UEFI USB Bootable Windows 10. Type is Primary as well.
HELP.jpg

Last edited:

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Let me ask some questions since now I'm getting confused with your idea behind this. Why do you really bothered if your USB listed on disk selection during setup? Why don't you just select the correct disk instead of keep selecting your USB?

Reactions: codswollip
Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Let me ask some questions since now I'm getting confused with your idea behind this. Why do you really bothered if your USB listed on disk selection during setup? Why don't you just select the correct disk instead of keep selecting your USB?
He is just interested why his USB is listed as it didn't happen before
:whistle:

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Do you have any USB drive of 8GB capacity? Because I think that Windows will show all the space where it can be installed, and your USB 32GB has 25GB of free space afterall.
It could be that 8GB USB drives are not going to be shown upon installation
I'm running out of thoughts on this as well. I utilize a 32gb flashdrive for my media creation tool, and have never had it show up during set up like that. I do this on two different systems.

In another thread, the OP had what appeared to be a corrupted MBR, he states he ran all fixes that should have cleared up the issue, but it was not resolved.

Without being hands on, to see what has been done, i can not assist any further.

Upvote 0

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
I'm running out of thoughts on this as well. I utilize a 32gb flashdrive for my media creation tool, and have never had it show up during set up like that. I do this on two different systems.
Because it's platform specific. Some BIOS would treat USB flash drive as HDD. And that's what makes it to be listed on Win setup. This is actually a non-issue and will not affect the installation progress in any way.
I've encountered this many times on vast different systems. In fact I've also had this happened on Win XP installations several times.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Do you have any USB drive of 8GB capacity? Because I think that Windows will show all the space where it can be installed, and your USB 32GB has 25GB of free space afterall.
It could be that 8GB USB drives are not going to be shown upon installation

My USB is 32GB. Plenty enough to install a game or two in it. I don't have any 8GB Capacity.

In another thread, the OP had what appeared to be a corrupted MBR, he states he ran all fixes that should have cleared up the issue, but it was not resolved.

Without being hands on, to see what has been done, i can not assist any further.

I am running out of thoughts as well as why the bloody hell my USB installation media showed up in Windows Setup when a lot of people had done this method never had their USB installation media show up in Windows Setup. My current Windows ran into a lot of problems, so I decided to reinstall Windows. I don't have a lot of applications on my C drive so just reinstall my motherboard and GPU drivers, Google Chrome, Privacy Eraser, antivirus, Steam, Origin, Ubisoft, and Battle.Net and then I am up to go. All my games were stored in HDD, so that is a good thing. With speed 100 download and upload, I shouldn't have any delay at all.

Because it's platform specific. Some BIOS would treat USB flash drive as HDD. And that's what makes it to be listed on Win setup. This is actually a non-issue and will not affect the installation progress in any way.
I've encountered this many times on vast different systems. In fact I've also had this happened on Win XP installations several times.

On my Acer laptop BIOS, it displays my USB as a HDD: my USB name in the Boot tab which is weird as well. It supposed to display UEFI: my USB name.

Reactions: Weebarra
Upvote 0
I

illumination

Is it a rarity with certain boards/bios, or is it the steps taken?

I agree, that it is a non issue as far as the clean install being concerned, it is why i was trying to get the OP to look past it and focus on the reformat.

On my Acer laptop BIOS, it displays my USB as a HDD: my USB name in the Boot tab which is weird as well. It supposed to display UEFI: my USB name.
So you have 2 different systems that your USB show up as internal?

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

I agree, that it is a non issue as far as the clean install being concerned, it is why i was trying to get the OP to look past it and focus on the reformat.

So you have 2 different systems that your USB show up as internal?

Well, it show up in Windows setup on " Where do you want to install Windows? " when I tested on my laptop. Here are the picture from my laptop booted into my USB installation media to tested. On my ACER laptop, I don't do any major changes at all beside changing Windows Privacy settings. Other than that, I do Netflix and watching video on this laptop.

At the " Where do you want to install Windows " windows in Windows Setup.
QHDd1aX.jpg

When I click show details.
2KOq6iM.jpg

Upvote 0

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017

Some BIOS have the option to choose if USB drive should be detected as floppy, HDD, etc. But I assure you, It could create another problem if you messing around with that. Best is to just left it as it is and let the BIOS auto identify the USB.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Some BIOS have the option to choose if USB drive should be detected as floppy, HDD, etc. But I assure you, It could create another problem if you messing around with that. Best is to just left it as it is and let the BIOS auto identify the USB.
My point, was that the OP, stated it did not do this before, and just started happening, if it were an adjustment in the BIOS or a way some BIOS would treat his USB, it would have been doing it the whole time. It is something in the steps he has taken to produce this.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
My point, was that the OP, stated it did not do this before, and just started happening, if it were an adjustment in the BIOS or a way some BIOS would treat his USB, it would have been doing it the whole time. It is something in the steps he has taken to produce this.

I turn off Launch CSM, Fast Boot and Secure Boot on my desktop motherboard. my desktop motherboard is Maximus VII Hero btw.

USB drive can be formatted in a way to be shown/presented as a HDD, so I am thinking that rufus formatted the USB in the wrong way.
Here is the picture of Rufus on my laptop used to put the ISO into my USB. I tried to created Media Installation through Microsoft Windows Media Creation > USB, it will showed up in Windows setup as well.
Screenshot_9.png

Upvote 0

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
I must've missed that.
@SumTingWong can you clarify this? Have this never happened before?

USB drive can be formatted in a way to be shown/presented as a HDD, so I am thinking that rufus formatted the USB in the wrong way.
I don't think that's the case. Because he already tried media creation tool from microsoft and still got the same result.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I must've missed that.
@SumTingWong can you clarify this? Have this never happened before?

I don't think that's the case. Because he already tried media creation tool from microsoft and still got the same result.

I don't know because this is why first time doing Windows 10 installation through USB. My previous OS is Windows 8.1, and I have the official Microsoft Windows 8.1 installation disc and license key.

Reactions: Weebarra
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
It doesn't matter, one is a file system and a second is a file table. You can have all the combinations you want.

You will need to destroy all the partitions
Here are the pictures of my secondary USB flash drive when I plugged it into my ACER laptop. Do you think this is a format problem on my installation media USB? My secondary USB flash drive FS is FAT32.
Screenshot_12.png

Screenshot_11.png

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.