SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Why is my USB Flash Drive listed as a Drive 1 Partition 1?
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
Guys, I am seriously need help. Why is my UEFI GPT Bootable Windows 10 installation media USB listed on where do you want to install Windows? I try to install Windows 10 in UEFI. I download the Media Creation Tool and then choose ISO and then burn ISO to Rufus software to USB drive in UEFI that listed here: How to install Windows 10 from USB with UEFI support
USB Flash Drive was set to FAT32. Both Drive 0 and Drive 1 were GPT.
Drive 0 Unallocated Space : SSD
Drive 1 Partition 1: My UEFI USB Bootable Windows 10. Type is Primary as well.
HELP.jpg

Last edited:
I

illumination

@SumTingWong I had early on suspected Rufus, when i asked you to perform a full format of the USB. I messed up in not clarifying to use windows built tool. It appears you use Rufus to format all your USB's, the reason why you have more then one causing this.

You also had the issue with your MBR before this, and again, i thought then, it was Rufus, as Rufus will modify your MBR in order to be bootable, hence the very possible MBR corruption you had.

Because of communication, i was unsure though.

I would fully recommend not using rufus any more, and using windows built in ISO burning and formatting.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
It's maybe easier and safer to follow this tutorial. After it is done, try connecting your USB again and show us the result in diskpart

I followed the video tutorial and I picked GPT partition style, and here is the picture of the diskpart. It still shows as a Partition under Type.
video tutorial fat32.png

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Tend to use GPT nowadays if you want to boot in UEFI mode. It doesn't matter in this case as the boot files for both are in the .ISO file you are going to boot from. You can set the MBR on it when you are going to use the USB as a storage drive.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Tend to use GPT nowadays if you want to boot in UEFI mode. It doesn't matter in this case as the boot files for both are in the .ISO file you are going to boot from. You can set the MBR on it when you are going to use the USB as a storage drive.

So MBR Partition style?

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I've reproduced the procedure with all the same steps and using Rufus with GPT EFI style (Cluster size is different but I don't think that is connected to the problem), and still my USB is recognized as removable
2.PNG
3.PNG

Do you have this option scheme in Rufus to try?
22.PNG

Reactions: harlan4096
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

I just did this method and now my installation media is not show up in Windows Setup anymore. But how I can fix my 1st USB that has Partition in Type in diskpart?

I backup and then formatted my secondary USB 32GB that has Removable as a Type in diskpart > list volume. I then burned the ISO into my USB using Rufus. I then booted into my secondary USB installation media. When the Windows Setup landed into " Where do you want to install Windows", I don't see my secondary USB installation media listed at all.
Here are the pictures of it.
Screenshot_15.png

Reactions: harlan4096
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Do you have some data on that USB?

Glad that solved the problem.

I backup my private stuff onto my spare lay around backup Samsung 840 EVO using Samsung included USB cable. But how I can fix the problem on my 1st USB that has Partition in Type in diskpart result?

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I backup my private stuff onto my spare lay around backup Samsung 840 EVO using Samsung included USB cable. But how I can fix the problem on my 1st USB that has Partition in Type in diskpart result?
Two options, do everything you did in video tutorial just initialize it as MBR or using Rufus MBR for UEFI and BIOS method, just delete all the files manually on it afterwards

Reactions: SumTingWong
Upvote 0

SteveMills777

Level 1
Apr 29, 2018
Forget the drive letters. obviously it is listing the two drives that are connected, choose the larger one, windows will do all the work for you.

WHY choose iso, choose USB, the windows tool will make the distribution run from the USB, your just asking for trouble and making things complicated by using Rufus....

Relax and go with the flow. Stop making things difficult for yourself.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Two options, do everything you did in video tutorial just initialize it as MBR or using Rufus MBR for UEFI and BIOS method, just delete all the files manually on it afterwards

Hey, I am back. I did not tried the method you suggested today, but I think I have another problem. I installed Windows 8.1 onto my desktop to burn Windows 10.iso onto my DVD+RW disc. This time, I can't burn Windows 10.iso onto my DVD+RW disc. Here are the picture of it. Disk Management can't detect my blank DVD+RW and DVD-R disc. My optical drive is TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB. My optical drive can read Microsoft Windows 8.1 installation disc fine. I also get an error message when I use Microsoft built-in disc image and " windows was unable to complete the format" on my DVD.
Screenshot_1.png

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I can't format my blank DVD+RW disc in Disk Management, but I can do it in File Explorer. Quick format greyed out.

Wait a minute.....my optical drive is CD Rom?!

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.