Advice Request I need some advice ; security meets gaming

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Smooth Protection without interference in gaming performance?

• Kaspersky AV

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • EMSISOFT IS

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • WD + Voodooshield

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • WD alone

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Other ; elaborate

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Durden

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
Greetings guys.. so today I'm supposed to have my new Asus rog gl502vm gaming laptop delivered.
My question is simple .. while I sense that I'm gonna have mcafee -:( - greeting me at the first start and that it's going bye bye..
What do you think I should install instead ?
Should I utilize that Kaspersky AV rog 1 year promotion if it's available
Or should I use Emsisoft IS (have a key w 6 months left in it)
Or I should just stick with windows defender +/- voodooshield ?
Or something else..

Plz take into consideration that I need something that won't affect my gaming experience while providing enough protection.

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
Avast Free, the very lightweight AV, it has game mode, your gaming performance wouldnt be screwed and it has lockdown protection (Hardened mode, that would be good choice, but if you want more lightweight protection, then use Comodo Firewall with CS' settings, you won't need AV,

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Comodo Firewall see @cruelsister's settings here:

Video Review - 2 Minute Video. Comodo Firewall Settings Only, by Cruel Sister.

You won't need anything else, but you can add AppCheck Anti-ransomware free if you want to. It's so light you won't even know it's running. With HIPs off, Comodo doesn't lose any security honestly. One other thing you can do is turn on all the protections here: Advanced Protection->Miscellaneous->Do command-line heuristics analysis->certain applications. Take a screenshot of the initial settings and roll back on this if it costs you too much in the resources dept.

CFW is light enough by far now that I would recommend a look for use on any gaming rig. Just be careful letting things out of the container. Only let them out if you are 100% sure. You should get good very good advice from CFW alerts with regards to that...iow if it gets contained, probably best to leave it there.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
If you find that your computer is often infected, you should go with something else. If it is not the case, and you have safe surfing habits then WD is pretty much enough. It has improved a lot and Microsoft does not lack resources to keep it getting better over time.
If you just want silence while gaming, then WD is your best pick. But as I already said, if you usually fail into running non reputable software or unknown executable; if you don't have a properly configured browser and you don't keep your software up to date, then you may be putting too much weight over WD's shoulders. If this is the case, and you do the proper excluding of all your gaming folders in your AV's settings, gaming shouldn't be affected. I recommend you that regardless of your final pick, take the time to check all your Antivirus settings and understand how it works, so you can get the best out of it ;).

Last edited:

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Avira is the lightest av ( test From avc )

The cloud offers great protection.

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
Avast free is very light, try it ! If you want a paid AV, try Eset IS , it won't affect the performance.:)

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
You can go with Kaspersky AV included as part of ROG promo. If you're running creators update, it includes Game mode, dunno if it actually improves gaming performance on high end CPUs, yet to be tested extensively. Besides, if you can get rid of bloatwares/trialwares included with ASUS ROG which will reduce CPU cycles being unnecessarily taken. Even getting rid of telemetry will certainly help. BTW, don't install NVidia Geforce experience because it contains telemetry and also newer drivers are tied with telemetry service called Nvidia Telemetry in services.msc. Disable those and you can have good setup. Optionally, if you're gaming offline you can activate flight mode and disable AV altogether and enjoy gaming with peak performance.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Very light AVs like webroot or Norton would be fine. If you want free, go for avast!, or if you have windows 10 I recommend you to give a try Windows Defender, Voodooshield is a good addition. If you have a KAV license, you can use it first.

Last edited:

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
I am currently using Windows Defender + Voodooshield Pro. Works great. No performance issues at all.

Depending on the specs of your laptop, you probably wont have a problem running either of the applications you listed. Emsisoft runs light and so does Kaspersky. Unless you configure Kaspersky for Maximum security then it might slow your system down a bit but no real need for that unless your paranoid.

Pretty much your choice in which you would feel more comfortable running. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Xsjs- No, it does not.
You deserve a medal for this!

Currently using Avast Premier (paid) and have not been interrupted whilst using Steam + Uplay + Origin.

Avast Free Antivirus also comes with Game Mode, but I have not tested or tried it.
  • Autodetect new games: automatically adds newly run games to a list of game entries. This setting enables Game Mode to launch the next time you run the game.
  • Pause Windows updates: temporarily prevents Windows from performing updates.
  • Trigger high performance (for laptop users): switches the power plan to the highest performance setting.
  • Set games to high priority: boosts the priority of the game process to ensure that the game runs smoothly even when background processes are running.
  • Hide intrusive applications pop-ups: temporarily disables pop-ups from applications on your PC.
  • No Avast interruptions: temporarily disables Avast pop-ups, notifications, and scheduled scans.
  • Disable Windows notifications: temporarily disables Windows notifications.
Learn more at Avast Antivirus: Game Mode

If you install Mods, then take extra steps to ensure they are safe to use (ie. download from trusted sources and read the reviews).

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
isn't that PC rocking a 7700K equivalent in notebook CPUs?
in that case, even a heavy AV won't make a difference once you're ingame.
Kaspersky has Gaming mode which halts every non-necessary operation. Idk about Avast, WD + Voodoo is good combo too, tho I have noticed performance drops while running some app that Voodoo is protecting (ie: Chrome)

Reactions: Durden and Parsh

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
You deserve a medal for this!

Currently using Avast Premier (paid) and have not been interrupted whilst using Steam + Uplay + Origin.

Avast Free Antivirus also comes with Game Mode, but I have not tested or tried it.
  • Autodetect new games: automatically adds newly run games to a list of game entries. This setting enables Game Mode to launch the next time you run the game.
  • Pause Windows updates: temporarily prevents Windows from performing updates.
  • Trigger high performance (for laptop users): switches the power plan to the highest performance setting.
  • Set games to high priority: boosts the priority of the game process to ensure that the game runs smoothly even when background processes are running.
  • Hide intrusive applications pop-ups: temporarily disables pop-ups from applications on your PC.
  • No Avast interruptions: temporarily disables Avast pop-ups, notifications, and scheduled scans.
  • Disable Windows notifications: temporarily disables Windows notifications.
Learn more at Avast Antivirus: Game Mode

If you install Mods, then take extra steps to ensure they are safe to use (ie. download from trusted sources and read the reviews).
Avira, Kaspersky Top Windows 10 Antivirus Tests

Top 5 Best Anti-virus Software for Gaming 2016- PC Tips Guide |

Avira Antivirus: Game Mode explained - Avira Blog

I think this is enough?

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
@E7_Durden You already have licenses of two nice protections, so look no further for now.
For your laptop or even otherwise, you can use the "Game mode" in Emsisoft or the Gaming mode equivalent in KAV as follows:
Emsisoft
Emsisoft.png
KAV
KIS.png
These won't have any noticeable effect on your gaming neither will they interrupt. Make your choice among the two based on your experience and the rest of features.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Reactions: Durden and mekelek

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
take those tests with a huge spoon of salt.
I do want to test Avira for malware hub, But on my laptop is terrible slow and i dont know how to protect my vm enough for my gaming pc...
If i find a way how to protect the vm i will start testing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.