Advice Request I need some honest advice about which DNS server to pick in Portmaster Firewall.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Okay, the topic title already mentions it.

A short while ago, I started using Portmaster Firewall because I saw that I could finally use nextDNS in it.

Portmaster Firewall

Now Portmaster has filter lists as well, but I thought... hey, together with NextDNS it will be great. So I set NextDNS in Portmaster... checked if it was working in my NextDNS logs, and it was. :)

But I never really checked in Portmaster after that until about 3 days ago. At that moment, I saw quite a few blocked entries in Portmaster for NextDNS because it tried to bypass Portmaster? So the past 3 days I kept checking Portmaster, and it keeps showing the blocked entries for nextDNS. Then it dawned on me that Portmaster and NextDNS might work somewhat (Or a lot.) similar, so that could be the reason for Portmaster blocking the bypass attempts from NextDNS. So I have decided to pick a different DNS server in Portmaster for my Desktop PC.

I am comfortable doing so, because Portmaster does a lot, and combined with the rest of my security setup and my own Brain I feel safe. :) HOWEVER... I am not sure which DNS server I should pick inside Portmaster. It has the following that it can set up for me.

* Cloudflare (With Malware Filter.)
* Quad9
* Adguard
* Foundation of Applied Privacy

Now I have used Quad9 in the past, and it was too slow for my taste, but it is mentioned, so I still place it here. I am looking to find out which one you people advise me to use. Please also let me know why I might want to use the one you advise.:)

BTW: I will continue to use NextDNS on my Smartphone. (y)

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
It depends on your internet, try download this DNS Jumper then test speed and chose it yourself

Reactions: Morro

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Okay, the topic title already mentions it.

A short while ago, I started using Portmaster Firewall because I saw that I could finally use nextDNS in it.

Portmaster Firewall

Now Portmaster has filter lists as well, but I thought... hey, together with NextDNS it will be great. So I set NextDNS in Portmaster... checked if it was working in my NextDNS logs, and it was. :)

But I never really checked in Portmaster after that until about 3 days ago. At that moment, I saw quite a few blocked entries in Portmaster for NextDNS because it tried to bypass Portmaster? So the past 3 days I kept checking Portmaster, and it keeps showing the blocked entries for nextDNS. Then it dawned on me that Portmaster and NextDNS might work somewhat (Or a lot.) similar, so that could be the reason for Portmaster blocking the bypass attempts from NextDNS. So I have decided to pick a different DNS server in Portmaster for my Desktop PC.

I am comfortable doing so, because Portmaster does a lot, and combined with the rest of my security setup and my own Brain I feel safe. :) HOWEVER... I am not sure which DNS server I should pick inside Portmaster. It has the following that it can set up for me.

* Cloudflare (With Malware Filter.)
* Quad9
* Adguard
* Foundation of Applied Privacy

Now I have used Quad9 in the past, and it was too slow for my taste, but it is mentioned, so I still place it here. I am looking to find out which one you people advise me to use. Please also let me know why I might want to use the one you advise.:)

BTW: I will continue to use NextDNS on my Smartphone. (y)
Choosing the right DNS server for your Portmaster Firewall depends on your specific needs and preferences. Here's a breakdown of each option you mentioned:

1. Cloudflare (With Malware Filter): Cloudflare is a widely trusted DNS provider known for its speed and reliability. The added malware filter can help protect you from accessing malicious websites. If performance and security are your primary concerns, Cloudflare may be a good choice.

2. Quad9: Quad9 focuses on privacy and security by blocking access to known malicious websites and protecting against phishing. While you mentioned it being slow in the past, it's worth giving it another chance as they have likely improved their performance since then. If privacy and security are your top priorities, Quad9 could be a good fit.

3. Adguard: Adguard is primarily known for its ad-blocking capabilities. If you value ad-blocking and want a DNS server that filters out ads, Adguard may be a suitable option.

4. Foundation of Applied Privacy: This DNS server focuses on privacy and security and is maintained by the organization supporting the privacy-focused operating system, Tails. If you highly prioritize privacy, Foundation of Applied Privacy could be worth considering.

Consider your specific needs, such as speed, security, privacy, and ad-blocking, when making your decision. It may also help to test each DNS server individually and see which one provides the best performance and fits your requirements.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.