I will never use bitdefender again

Game Of Thrones

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2014
unused ram is a wasted ram. I can say 99 percent of people don't use their ram to the fullest. and actually there are ways to hide ram usage in programming unlike what people think the task manager is not the best way to see the ram usage, and ram usage is not slowing down a pc.many other vendors hide their ram usage and people think they are light. CPU usage and HDD SSD usage will make it slower which Bitdefender is light in that terms.

KonradPL

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
yesterday i've installed Bitdefender Total Security. I was suprised how light it is on my PC and smartphones. CPU and SSD usage is almost zero and ram aboout 200MB with vpn.

Ujęcie.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Software behaves differently in each machine. It depends on so many factors ranging from driver versions to software/hardware installed, possible Windows corruption, etc. It's hard to know how a specific solution will behave in a specific configuration. It won't be heavy in all possible configurations neither will it run great in all configurations. That's one of the reasons all of them have a trial period.

poopdookie

Level 2
Feb 11, 2021
One machine is an alienware (16GB) desktop I use for gaming, at least 12GB is almost always allocated when gaming, when I did benchmark with bitdefender I definitely lost frames compared to the lighter ones. I go back and forth about having active protection on a gaming rig but that is a different convo. On an older mac, (24GB) there wasn't much performance difference with bitdefender vs others, though I will say that I had numerous bugs with that and have had to work with their support for really annoying problems. Their support was quick and gave me commands to run to fix the issues though. On my more modern mac laptop (16GB) I would get pushed closer to the limit when using too many browsers/tabs but not a huge deal. In the end, battery is most important to me on the laptops.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Since I updated to Windows 11 I have had the system process use 12% to 15% or more constant cpu . I uninstalled Bitdefender TS and installed Eset IS and the problem went away. Before Windows 11 BTS was always very lite. 😞
Bitdefender ran fine on my Windows 11, the same as Windows 10. No difference. It's very light with low CPU usage during any day-to-day activity. Ram usage is over 300 MB and even 400 rarely but I don't mind that as I have 16 GB and Bitdefender is smart enough to release ram if your system needs it.

poopdookie

Level 2
Feb 11, 2021
I had some problems with all major names including ESET and Kaspersky at some point in time. There's no such thing as a bug free software.
Agreed, I hate the Cylance false positives (or are they ;) ), and weird is it up to date game. I defintely would recommend bitdefender to the public at large, the product is amazing for that price.

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
How? Bitdefender has these much processors as Mcafee but it is lighter? Did you ran benchmark before and after?

The number of processes is not what makes software heavy. It's possible to have a software with only 2 or 3 processes that is heavier on system resources than one with a dozen. It's the processor/disk usage impact that actually matters. This is another legend that comes from the age when Windows had a terrible preemptive multitasking and CPUS didn't have multiple cores.

This applies to any software by the way not only security.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The number of processes is not what makes software heavy. It's possible to have a software with only 2 or 3 processes that is heavier on system resources than one with a dozen. It's the processor/disk usage impact that actually matters. This is another legend that comes from the age when Windows had a terrible preemptive multitasking and CPUS didn't have multiple cores.

This applies to any software by the way not only security.
A Google blog post as an example about multi-process architecture:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.