I will never use bitdefender again

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I know I shouldn't but i just tested Avast for mac and i'm impressed. It's very light. It only has 1 single process. Its even lighter than eset (well at least on the mac). I wish i could pay a nominal fee and bee assured they were doing any tracking but even if you pay for it i don't think there is any type of guarantee. I know avast generally does pretty good in tests.
All the companies track you unless you use an endpoint product with rules / policy to avoid tracking

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I like Bitdefender on Android so much that I would consider it on Windows if I ever felt the need for something beyond MD + H_C. BD Free on Android is extremely fast and doesn't drain the battery. So far, my replacement phone has had no malware problems while I've been using BD.

gigi64

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 14, 2012
I tested almost a lot of antivirus(Kaspersky Total security ,Symantec End Point...) in these 2 months, but it Although more RAM(390 Ram usage),
But it feels more light and fluid with bitdefender total 2021.

hamada4

Jul 15, 2021
i use the total protection 2021on old pc with 6 gb ram and its cpu/ram usage is very low

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    44 KB · Views: 505
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I like Bitdefender on Android so much that I would consider it on Windows if I ever felt the need for something beyond MD + H_C. BD Free on Android is extremely fast and doesn't drain the battery. So far, my replacement phone has had no malware problems while I've been using BD.
AVs on Android canā€™t do much because of missing permissions so it would be very bad if it drain the battery ;)

with H_C you increase your security a lot, without any need to trust an AV (y)

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

klaken

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
Bitdefender is heavy. Avast is very light and almost not annoying, kasperky is heavier, but it does not reach the level of Bitdefender and generally kasperky feels agile.

- But I think you have already paid enough licenses, without forgetting that they are for several years. Why don't you try a free AV like Comodo (AV, firewall, ect) in a virtual machine for you to try, I know it has its complications, but in general it is very safe and if you consider it heavy, you leave only the firewall that uses the cloud for signatures. You can ask users about their experiences.

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

yashiscool

Level 2
Verified
Jan 10, 2013
Bitdefender is heavy. Avast is very light and almost not annoying, kasperky is heavier, but it does not reach the level of Bitdefender and generally kasperky feels agile.

- But I think you have already paid enough licenses, without forgetting that they are for several years. Why don't you try a free AV like Comodo (AV, firewall, ect) in a virtual machine for you to try, I know it has its complications, but in general it is very safe and if you consider it heavy, you leave only the firewall that uses the cloud for signatures. You can ask users about their experiences.
Comodo has an excellent firewall but Iā€™m not sure about itā€™s AV protection part. Having said that, I do love itā€™s Sandboxing feature.

Reactions: gigi64 and Nevi

yashiscool

Level 2
Verified
Jan 10, 2013
So i will never (well unless they change) use bitdefender again. I've been using bitdefender for years. While i'm happy with the protection what i'm not happy is the way it gobbles up memory. I'm actually quite surprised reviews don't every notice this. I've generally seen on reviews that bitdefender is not that heavy. In what terms memory or cpu? In the CPU camp i won't say its light but nothing i can complain about. I've used kaspersky too and i've heard its generally heavy. I haven't seen this both memory & cpu usage aren't that bad. I've eagerly updated to each new version of bitdefender hoping they would have worked on the memory issue. I actually think its progressively got worse. Other than that bitdefender has spammy tactics. Bugging me with their VPN & other features (even though i'm a paying customer). Unfortunately I bought a 5 year license about 7 months ago. Here is my proof:
Windows 10:
View attachment 255130

Mac (Big Sur):

View attachment 255129

As can see on my mac workstation its consuming about 2GB of memory. Crazy right? Right now i'm evaluating both Sophos Home Premium & Eset. I know Sophos Home Premium is not necessarily light in terms of memory but anything is compared to Bitdefender. My issue is i need lots of license. Bitdefender was really affordable for a large number of licenses because i have lots of VMs i use and bitdefender is consumer so much memory its lowering how many VMs i can safely run. So far, of course, eset is REALLY light on windows but not so light on Mac but not all that bad.
Did you by any chance make any changes in the Bitdefender configuration? Many a times, hardening certain configurations lead to memory hogging as well. I suggest you try running it on default settings and see first if thatā€™s the case.

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

klaken

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
Comodo has an excellent firewall but Iā€™m not sure about itā€™s AV protection part. Having said that, I do love itā€™s Sandboxing feature.
Its antivirus is not the best but it is not bad either, it detects threats, but the best of all is the auto sandbox which has been very effective with many new malware and that others have not been able to to day 0, its famous denial protection.
Besides the firewall includes antivirus protection by the cloud, therefore, you could use for example Microsoft's antivirus or another if it does not give you confidence.

But how I mentioned it all depends on your needs and how you feel using it.

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
I am currently using Bitdefender IS. Performance wise I have no issues with it. Fast start-up and shutdown. No delay with program start-ups. Good browser speed and no issue with browsers.

Protection is great according the AV-test organizations. I also tested it myself. It blocked 94.78% of all the malware samples. Web protection is also good. It blocked 92.82% of the malwarelinks and 90% of the phishinglinks.

The only problem I have is the firewall and the certification they use. The firewall is very basic, logs are terrible and the pop-up message only shows a part of the program path and name. It won't show what protocol/port is used. It also had a conflict the the Windows firewall service.

The certificate uses ECC (Elliptic Curve Cryptography) with 256 bits as public key. There are some security concerns about ECC. RSA 2048 is better to use.

I miss also the function to export the configuration. Very handy if you have to configure multiple devices.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I recall back in the day, the reason why BD used so much memory was because it allocated the definitions into the memory so once it loaded, it loaded the definitions into ram in order to accelerate the scans. I also found BD very heavy and haven't used it since 2017 which was the year I went nuts and decided to purchase like 8 different lic during the Black Friday sale. I had Norton, Kaspersky, BD, Avast, ESET, Emisisoft, Avira, and Fsecure. In the end I ended up with ESET IS. I also recall that the main reason I loved ESET was because I could install the lic on my VM's without an issue as long as I had all the VM's on the same PC. So basically I was using a single ESET lic and I ran experimental VM's with that lic while testing different environments.

I know that recently ESET has changed the lic system in order to lock down that loophole.
I wouldn't have recommended Bitdefender back in 2017. It greatly improved from 2018 on.

Farhad24

Level 1
Mar 24, 2021
I probably never use it again too.

here is an example how their customer service works.
my Bitdefender interface won't open up so i've sent a ticket.
I remember i had this exact behavior from Bitdefender customer service a year ago.
and back then when they get back to me ( of course again after spamming to every single contact i could find from them over the net for feedbacks etc..)
their excuse was exactly the same as it is not, i wonder how Bitdefender have not enough Agents to serve it's biggest business, Home users.
after a year company still use the old "higher number of requests" excuse.

Just leaving it here, so people see what kind of customer service they suppose to get with BD

-their last response to my ticket was September 8.
- and i think the reason they show up finally is that i write about this on their TrustPilot profile. so they had to do something and hope that i do Edit my review which i won't.

Attachments

• bd.PNG
    bd.PNG
    56.6 KB · Views: 321
F

ForgottenSeer 67480

I think it's better to avoid installing BD if you're gamer person, because BD has incredibly huge interest on your memory RAM. Maybe Avira is more better now than previously?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.