I will never use bitdefender again

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I was trying out BD Free on Windows and was disappointed with it because of very high RAM usage on my low-end laptop and lack of AMSI support for scanning scripts. My experience with their Android product has been much better than their Windows product.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I was trying out BD Free on Windows and was disappointed with it because of very high RAM usage on my low-end laptop and lack of AMSI support for scanning scripts. My experience with their Android product has been much better than their Windows product.
BD should release ram when your system needs it. Check the test done here.
Q&A - Bitdefender and RAM usage | Load test

Are you sure about the AMSI thing? BD free uses the same engine as the paid version so this is not expected. Can you tell me the method you used to check AMSI?
Edit: Looks like you're right. Apparently they had AMSI before but not anymore. WTH!!! I need to test if this is still true. This applies to even paid Bitdefender products.
Edit2: Well, things got interesting. Bitdefender paid versions have AMSI protection, but it's not enabled by default. Really weird. So yeah I guess BD free version don't have AMSI as there's no way to configure it to enable the feature.

Last edited:

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Are you sure about the AMSI thing? BD free uses the same engine as the paid version so this is not expected. Can you tell me the method you used to check AMSI?
Edit: Looks like you're right. Apparently they had AMSI before but not anymore. WTH!!! I need to test if this is still true. This applies to even paid Bitdefender products.
Edit2: Well, things got interesting. Bitdefender paid versions have AMSI protection, but it's not enabled by default. Really weird. So yeah I guess BD free version don't have AMSI as there's no way to configure it to enable the feature.
Thank you for looking into this further. I used the AMSI test string provided at Is This Thing On? - Black Hills Information Security, both in Powershell and by creating a vbs script containing the string and scanning it manually. Considering the increasing frequency of script-based attacks and fileless malware, I think the omission of script scanning renders BD Free almost useless.

Reactions: robboman

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.