Identify if a Website Is Malicious or Not, before clicking?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
URLvoid.com

A malicious URL won't immediately infect your PC upon visiting, with exceptions, for example, exploitable Browser, Plugins, out-dated OS, and if you run the downloaded software.

Interesting username.

Edit: You may also use Browser Extensions, or Sandboxed browsers.

Last edited:

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
i'm using this extension/add-on (from VirusTotal) to check URL's and files: VTzilla: Mozilla Firefox Browser Extension

VTzilla: Mozilla Firefox Browser Extension
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.

The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.

___EDIT:____

here is a POST with several/various URL Link scanners that i found on www.bleepingcomputer.com:
URLVoid and Virustotal - POST#02 - General Security

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Hell naw, I don't check I just barge on in there like a Boss :p rofl
No seriously I would refer you to Spawn's post, and note that I do
use NetCraft, and if I am really unsure I need to rethink the types of
sites I'm visiting ;)
PS: I'm new to VPN'ing, so I forgot to add that AirVPN helps protect me from
malicious content as well.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Another option would be to hover-over the link (not click) and view it's linking address. If you are unsure or suspicious you can copy and paste (Copy link location/address) enter it on a site that scans web addresses.
Some people use, myWOT which is mostly community-based but does use a Trusted Sources list such as hpHosts etc. | Web of Trust

Example:
Which is Google?
  1. Google.com
  2. Google.com

The Security Guy

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2017
Another option would be to hover-over the link (not click) and view it's linking address. If you are unsure or suspicious you can copy and paste (Copy link location/address) enter it on a site that scans web addresses.
Some people use, myWOT which is mostly community-based but does use a Trusted Sources list such as hpHosts etc. | Web of Trust

Example:
Which is Google?
  1. Google.com
  2. Google.com
I usually scan some sites before visiting using VirusTotal. But it wasn't all that helpful. One day, I right-clicked a "Download Now" button and clicked on "Copy link address" and pasted it in VirusTotal and scanned it. None of the scanners said it was harmful. But after I clicked the button and scanned the URL in the address bar of the page that opened with VirusTotal two scanners said "Malware Site". And WOT is also an option I won't prefer as I had used it before but I wasn't satisfied with it.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
I already have Kaspersky Internet Security extension in all my browsers. Should I remove it and download Avira's extension?
Yes, ( if you want extra security ) Kaspersky blocks without the Extension.. so extra protection.

KetaKongen

Level 1
Sep 29, 2016
First off, have your privacy and security up-to-date.
and second off: install Web of Trust.
WOT (Web of Trust) is a company made for the safe net of surfing. The extension shows reputation of sites. Malicious sites and look-a-likes are blocked, and you don't enter the website in the first click. There you get a warning about the site.
Install it here: Web of Trust

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I am one of those Avast extension lovers. Might not be needed but in general a good product. :)

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Not exactly on topic, but somehow related:

You could also try to use a DNS service which filters malware websites, like OpenDNS. By this, you could diminish the chances to find out the hard way if a website is safe or not.
You could also add these DNS servers directly into your router's config (your router needs to support OpenDNS - it has to have a ddns client that lists OpenDNS as a supported server), so all your devices get this protection. It won't slow down your browsing (usually), on the contrary, it should speed it up. You could also use some other DNS service without the need of ddns client.

OpenDNS is powered by Cisco Umbrella, so pretty much trusted.
This is a very good first layer of protection you can consider using :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.