Solved IE 9 Can't change homepage

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rocky

Thread author
Normally I use Firefox but tried IE just to see if I could get used to it and the homepage can't be changed. The address is hxxp://us.yahoo.com/?fr=fp-comodo. Could use some ideas. Thanks

R

rocky

Thread author
Biozfear said:
Can you do this:
Navigate to Registry and see/post a screenshot of this (if it exists)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes

I had a similar issue and deleting DefaultScope allowed me to be then able to start IE and set the homepage without a problem.

Still going to Yahoo no matter what I set as homepage. Thanks ,I thought that would work.

Upvote 0

whizkidraj

Level 8
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
1st thing u need to do is uninstall yahoo toolbar from control panel. Then see if any remnants are left in c program files folder. then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Yahoo!\Shared and rename the npYState.dll to anything like 2323 and remove its extension name also. So now both yahoo toolbar and its plugin are disabled/removed.
then try all steps mentioned here - http://forums.anvisoft.com/viewtopic-45-1165-4360.html
if still not solved then do a simple system restore in "safe mode" to the point before u installed the yahoo software.

and also u said its coming again and again so that might be related to startup or some services of it still present.
try installing CCleaner and then go to tools > startup and in there remove all yahoo entries if there from the windows, internet explorer, scheduled tasks section. And open services.msc (windows + r then type services.msc and enter). and scan there for any service named or related to yahoo and disable that and delete that service
and also to manually set google as homepage without going to internet options
try this link - http://www.google.com/intl/en/services/hp/index.html
Google > Yahoo (i.e google greater than yahoo) and more powerful so it should replace yahoo and set itself as new home page.

And in future if u want to install yahoo again then please always uncheck -make yahoo my default search engine,homepage and install yahoo toolbar.
Same for other softwares too. Always don't go on clicking next next next and install.
Try all the things I said & please don't skip any of them & always have a good approach that I will fix it and not like o this tutorial looks so long. wonder if all the tips mentioned are gonna work. lets try the simple ones.
Never ever do that. (Just suggesting atlast v can give all the suggestions but u would have to do and try them perfectly as mentioned)
Hope this helps. Good Luck mate :)

Upvote 0
R

rocky

Thread author
Well I tried all the suggestions and still have Yahoo for a homepage in Internet Explorer. I even installed IE 10 over the top. No Yahoo folder in program files or uninstall entry. What I find interesting is it changed IE which never gets used and the default browser Firefox wasn't changed. Kind of turns me off Yahoo and Comodo. I really think if I allowed it Firefox would have been changed. I'm not going to use IE till I reformat which probably isn't going to be soon. And I was looking forward to learning CIS6 which isn't going to happen for sure now. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me . There were enough good ideas that something should of worked.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Thread author
There has to be registry keys or folders for it to keep coming back after deletion, did you try program files "internet explorer" extensions?

Upvote 0

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    :filefind
    *yahoo*

:folderfind
    *yahoo*

:Regfind
    yahoo
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

Upvote 0
R

rocky

Thread author
Fiery said:
Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    :filefind
    *yahoo*

:folderfind
    *yahoo*

:Regfind
    yahoo
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

Thanks! It's going to take some time but I think it is going to work!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.