Solved IE 9 Can't change homepage

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rocky

Thread author
Normally I use Firefox but tried IE just to see if I could get used to it and the homepage can't be changed. The address is hxxp://us.yahoo.com/?fr=fp-comodo. Could use some ideas. Thanks

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
go to internet option...remove hxxp://us.yahoo.com/?fr=fp-comodo from homepage section in general tab.....

Upvote 0
R

rocky

Thread author
I tried to do that but it keeps reverting back. Even if I delete it out and try to use a blank page it comes back.

Upvote 0
R

rocky

Thread author
Good idea! Yahoo was under search providers which I disabled and when I changed the homepage to blank and hit the home button it came right back.

Upvote 0

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
hmm...go to internet options and under advanced tab click on reset internet explorer's settings to default condition....hope this works out....

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Have you recently installed any Comodo software?

http://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/yahoo-redirection-after-comodo-update-t88419.0.html

Upvote 0
R

rocky

Thread author
Earth said:
Have you recently installed any Comodo software?

http://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/yahoo-redirection-after-comodo-update-t88419.0.html

Yes, I had Comodo Internet Security, and Comodo Time Machine installed for quite some time. Seems to be the problem doesn't it. That and me not paying attention on install.

Upvote 0
R

rocky

Thread author
I tried reset and restore with restart and it is still Yahoo courtesy of Comodo. Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Upvote 0

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
I had solved my issue by deleting yahoo add-on.....but I don't know why it is not working in your case....

Upvote 0
R

rocky

Thread author
I wonder why it changed IE and not Firefox as Firefox was always the default browser (as much as it could be). At least it is nothing malicious. Thanks for all your time and help.

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
Can you do this:
Navigate to Registry and see/post a screenshot of this (if it exists)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes

I had a similar issue and deleting DefaultScope allowed me to be then able to start IE and set the homepage without a problem.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.