Open MalwareTips from your Home Screen or desktop. Follow discussions, find answers and pick up where you left off.
If you cannot find an install option, update your browser or use its bookmark option to keep MalwareTips close.
Installation is optional. Your notification settings stay under your control.
Dieselman said:Here is a helpful hint I discovered myself so I thought I share it with you.
After installing IE 9 and using it for about a week I went back to Firefox 3.5.6. then eventually to FF 4.0. So I never went back to IE ever again. But for some odd reason ielowutil.exe would magically appear. I didn't think much of it at first. So one day I was determined to get to the bottom of this mystery. I opened up my trusty Process Hacker and explored everything about ielowutil.exe. The parent program of course is IE. But the fact that I never opened IE made it even more odd. So I did some research for about an hour and came up with nothing.
So I went into Process Hackers settings and enabled all the system tray features which basically tells you who started who,when and where. I sat and watch my laptop for about an hour at idle. When ielowutil.exe started it was triggered by Feeds and Web Slices. I was like .............."What?". So I went into internet options\content\feeds and web slices\settings. In there I unchecked "automatically check feeds and web slices for updates". I also unchecked everything else in there.
Presto................Problem gone. So exactly what was going on? Well it turns out that ielowutil.exe is a prefetcher for feeds and web slices. That was about 2 weeks ago and ielowutil.exe has never mysteriously appeared on its own again. Hope this helps some members and also you can learn how Process Hacker can be used as a diagnostic tool.
Helpthehelpers said:please help MEEE![]()
... So I went into internet options\content\feeds and web slices\settings. In there I unchecked "automatically check feeds and web slices for updates". I also unchecked everything else in there.
Presto................Problem gone. So exactly what was going on? Well it turns out that ielowutil.exe is a prefetcher for feeds and web slices. ...
Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes
Continue exploring the conversation.