Question If the laptop is plugged in most of the time, is there any advantage to turning on the hybrid mode?

Hardware Discussions
10 Replies 916 Views
Help answer the author's question with clear explanations and useful steps.
I understand that a discrete GPU is superior to an integrated GPU, but is there a benefit to using an integrated GPU given that the laptop is usually plugged in?
MUX switch can be a toy for most but it provides great advantages.
There are a few cases where using only the discrete GPU is beneficial:
  • play competitive games where every frame matters
  • use an external monitor connected directly to the dGPU port
  • do heavy GPU workloads all day (Blender, AI training, rendering)
  • want slightly lower input latency

Technologies like NVIDIA Optimus or AMD’s dynamic switching add a tiny overhead in some games.

Even when the laptop is plugged in most of the time, enabling hybrid GPU (iGPU + dGPU switching) can still provide several real advantages. The benefit isn’t only about battery life; it’s also about efficiency, thermals, and long-term hardware behavior.
 
I understand that a discrete GPU is superior to an integrated GPU, but is there a benefit to using an integrated GPU given that the laptop is usually plugged in?
Less power, less heat, less noise, similar to using CPU instead of GPU, thus the reason I have disabled GPU acceleration in every browser and app.
 
But isn't it the CPU that causes the device to overheat more than the GPU, or am I misunderstanding something?
In the past, GPU acceleration was designed to deal with CPU bottleneck, just like soundcards, but these days their roles are reversed.
CPU is more optimized and while GPU is running at 100%, CPU is taking a break, so they incorporated iGPU to take advantage of it.
 
But isn't it the CPU that causes the device to overheat more than the GPU, or am I misunderstanding something?
not allways true !
my igpu on my 7800X3D even IDLES at 40W.
my 6800XT idles at 6-11W
so theres a gain of 30~W if i disable the Igpu entirely.

Ofc the 6800XT will use 100~W more if both are fully utilized but... thats also multiple times more performance.
 
That’s a very sharp observation, @TairikuOkami.

To add to that and for the benefit of other users reading the thread: it really depends on the workload. While the CPU handles general processing, the dGPU (Dedicated GPU) is usually what turns the laptop into an "oven" during gaming or rendering.

The key thing to remember is that in most laptops, both chips share the same heat pipes and fans. Even if the laptop is plugged in, using the dGPU for simple tasks adds unnecessary heat to that shared cooling system. By letting the iGPU (Integrated GPU) handle the basics, you keep the whole system cooler and the fans much quieter.

Ultimately, using the iGPU for basic tasks helps maintain the system's thermal balance.⚖️ ❄️ 🔇
 
Less power, less heat, less noise, similar to using CPU instead of GPU, thus the reason I have disabled GPU acceleration in every browser and app.
That isn't recommended though. CPU will work twice as hard to do the job GPU would do more efficiently and quickly. Disabling GPU acceleration heavily reduces performance.
But isn't it the CPU that causes the device to overheat more than the GPU, or am I misunderstanding something?
Not necessarily, but it will make your PC A LOT slower. Because instead of only doing jobs meant for CPU; it will be occupied with doing jobs of GPU as well, taking away time from CPU specific operations.

My recommendation: if you have dGPU, you paid for it—use it. I have it enabled all the time.
 
That isn't recommended though. CPU will work twice as hard to do the job GPU would do more efficiently and quickly. Disabling GPU acceleration heavily reduces performance.

Not necessarily, but it will make your PC A LOT slower. Because instead of only doing jobs meant for CPU; it will be occupied with doing jobs of GPU as well, taking away time from CPU specific operations.

My recommendation: if you have dGPU, you paid for it—use it. I have it enabled all the time.
Do utilizing GPU (either bulit-in or external) depends on the app?
I used to disable hardware-acceleration in Chrome and Edge for the claim it may cause performance issue without problems.
When applied in Brave settings, I faced obvious stutter which disappeared completely after enabling hardware-acceleration!
 
Do utilizing GPU (either bulit-in or external) depends on the app?
If you have hybrid mode enabled, yes. Then the OS will choose which app will use iGPU and which one dGPU. If you choose to use iGPU only, then all apps will use iGPU. Same goes for dGPU only mode.
I used to disable hardware-acceleration in Chrome and Edge for the claim it may cause performance issue without problems.
Back in 2015 and before, hardware acceleration did cause some issues with browsers and video playback. It wasn't GPU fault though; it was either poorly written drivers or the software itself. I was Chrome user then and clearly remember having issues with hardware acceleration.

Today this shouldn't be the case anymore because we exited that hardware acceleration "experimental phase" long time ago.
When applied in Brave settings, I faced obvious stutter which disappeared completely after enabling hardware-acceleration!
That's what I'm talking about. With hardware acceleration disabled, CPU has to work a job for two while with hardware acceleration enabled, it only has to do CPU job.

Firefox also stutters for me when I use iGPU and/or have hardware acceleration disabled. With dGPU and/or hardware acceleration enabled, no issues whatsoever.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

You may also like...

Continue exploring the conversation.

Back
Top