Advice Request If you could pick only one program for protection.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
@Andy Ful 's Hard_Configurator.

Solves all the most common critical security risks in one tiny, fully Windows-compatible front-end package. Provides exceptional usability. So simple a 6 year old can figure it out. (There are 6 & 7 year olds using it in first-stage Czech schools... right next door to Poland :giggle:).

Windows built-in security is the way.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Probably Norton or Kaspersky would do a good job- even Windows Defender.
Or do all your Internet browsing in Windows Sandbox or similar.
Or after Internet browsing revert your Windows installation back to its original state by using Macrium or Rollback RX.
....and do all your shopping and banking on iOS if possible.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
From my current subscriptions if I had to choose just one security suite? Then it is Norton 360. Been Norton AV user since 14+ years so that's what floats my boat. KIS/KTS follow close behind. BDTS though much improved (hate the internet latency it causes) and highly spoken of doesn't work very well for me. As for MBAM, well, don't waste your money on it.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Let's see, I would choose "Durex" if you just let me have one product for "protection" :p

On a serious note, if I have to stick with Windows, I would be comfortable with Windows ecosystem like Defender, New MS Edge, Smartscreen, Firewall, UAC etc, and tweak various settings for max. security.

Given a choice, I would choose Linux over Windows for protection any day.

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
BullGuard. It has never let me down. Don't know what will happen with the Norton acquisition though. I have PCs running BullGuard for years and I didn't have to do anything - they're all on the latest version and actively protecting.

PSLGmail

Apr 6, 2021
Whatever protection it is, it is best to have layered security on it both non commercial and commercial. Particularly if you're protecting your company's data.

Reactions: Nevi and JB007

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Pick one program that you think provides the best protection if it was the only one you could use.

For me I think either Appguard or Voodoo Shield would be pretty much bullet proof.

One program can be the only thing you need, in business context the PCs only have one solution install, maybe exist other solutions for administrators to scan a machine when some suspicious is detected, but the individual machines work with an individual solution.

I will not trust my safety of my particular machine to Appguard or Voodoo Shield, no way Jose. I trust my security to brands that have a name and a history in the security industry, in my case Kaspersky, but Bitdefender, Eset or F-secure are great solutions for a home context.

Personally, to my friends, I always recommend having a second solution besides the main AV, something like Malware bytes free, Star emergency, in my case Hitman pro, for a second opinion.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Common sense but I don't think there is an app for that!

Windows Defender combined with the above worked well for me for several years.

Recently installed BIS because I came across a good deal on a 3 years sub and it does somehow make you feel more secure than WD.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.