Advice Request If you could pick only one program for protection.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ebocious

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
Discussion going at a tangent, I have said how I feel & my experience on my systems & many others but there are no guarantees on PC's or life itself (bigger worry) & no way of protecting against the unknown, but I'm pretty happy I can restore the system(s) critically within minutes & all else within hours - I may be wrong though, my wife thinks i always am so... . Opting out of this discussion.
Can you restore the money to the victim's bank account? The computer is the least of your worries. Geek card pulled.

Reactions: Dave Russo

ebocious

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
Guys do not become paranoid with the computer security. The virus never comes on its own. We invite him. A little mind and a light protection you are very well protected.With a little attention here in the forum you will learn to distinguish the virus very easily. I after so long in this forum before i seeing the virus i smell him :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Your argument was already refuted by a prior post. Geek card pulled.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
...though I will never use a IOT fridge lest it be attacked and my beer is warm.

This is important. :giggle:

I get the idea that we have participants who are pretending to have more authority than they truly have, and are undermining the value of MT. If AV + safe browsing is a panacea, then there's no point in having discussions here.

Exactly. While most attacks for individual users are statistically insignificant, oversimplified platitudes are a little silly for a forum where we are interested in addressing even those unlikely.. but possible vectors.

I can't but I'm pretty sure I'm OK....

I'm pretty sure you are too.... as are most of us.

:emoji_beer:

ebocious

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
To save
For me the best is light protection , one good extension , and you have not experience to understand one virus one check to virus total before you install anything and thats all
AppGuard is lighter than AV.

ebocious

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
Exactly. While most attacks for individual users are statistically insignificant, oversimplified platitudes are a little silly for a forum where we are interested in addressing even those unlikely.. but possible vectors.
Thank you. Statistical insignificance means nothing if you are that 1 in a million who got infected despite doing nothing wrong. If someone wants to announce to the world that AV + safe browsing will absolutely prevent infection, then announce it somewhere else. That's not at all what MT is for.

Reactions: Dave Russo

ebocious

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
Oh no while worrying about this was hit by an RR Trent engine that fell off a Boeing Dream Liner on glide path to Manchester airport .....Just static...
I'm afraid these attempts to save face are taking us way off topic. I hope that, in the end, my point was duly noted, and this discussion will be avoided in the future by remembering MT's purpose, and saving our oversimplified platitudes for Facebook or elsewhere. Cheers!

Reactions: oldschool

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
The original question was: 'If you could pick only one program for protection' However...
Desk.jpg
Desk.jpg

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
MT's purpose is to prevent infection by any means possible & explore alternatives using our intelligence & experience - I understand that using lock-down systems are one way to any degree, safe browsing is another along with others including multiple backups with one in an alternate location. Feeling the more is merrier for me is not my solution, for information I don't use Facebook & avoid most other so called social media.

I do use carefully chosen programs to keep me as safe & light as possible including Macrium Reflect & Shadow Defender & the latter is useful when others use the PC 's & they don't even know it's on, Ublock also plays it's part & VS - Don't forget the original question BTW ~ The is not one way or your way & others are wrong, that is simplistic & frankly somewhat egotistical ~

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
This my light protection for now.
View attachment 224035View attachment 224036
You will surely laugh at my protection. I've had it for many years, I play it very dangerously, with cracks, trackers, etc. I never got infected without wanting to. ;)
I'm sure you have fun though (main point of life i think) - I'm yearning to try opera out again though can't think of a reason, will happen today now it's on my mind :cry::cry::cry::cry:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.