App Review Ikarus Anti.Virus 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the Ikarus Antivirus test!
Ikarus is an Austrian company, unknown to the public.
A long time ago, Ikarus was one of the partners of a-squared (now Emsisoft), which had a good reputation.
Now, Ikarus is not so much talked about, but we'll see.

The interface is very clear, simple and intuitive.
But something strikes you directly: The CRUEL lack of defensive modules!
Ikarus has only one database, which may complicate the test...

During the test on URLs, Ikarus reacts correctly, but lets 3 malwares through, one of which will patch a system process... it starts badly. (AgentTesla)

On the pack, Ikarus detects a lot and .... is all!
All that I launch afterwards pass without any problem!
This is normal because Ikarus does not have advanced defense modules (no HIPS or behavioral shield, no AMSI analysis, no AI Machine Learning etc...)
Having just a database with signature recognition is unfortunately not enough in 2022 to protect yourself.
Disappointed.

Watch my review on Odysee !

RAM Usage : Low
Malware URL test : 7/10 (3 missed - Windows process patched by AgentTesla)
Fake crack : 1/1 (detected)
Malware Pack : Remaining 11 files to 493.
Ikarus will let the machine get infected because it does not contain any advanced defense...
Resistance to script attacks: Low

Result :
Ikarus : 0
NPE : 16
KVRT : 6
MBAM : 25 (4 lines are related to Microsoft Defender which I ignored)

Recommand : No
System Clean : System infected

@BigWrench request

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Respect for the test. I have never been exposed to this software. And I'm not likely to have any more judging by the test you performed.

They have a good database, but that's it.
If an infection gets through, Ikarus will not be able to catch it.
But now, a database alone is not enough :)

Tigress

Mar 23, 2024
I downloaded IKARUS Antivirus, I'm using the free Version and for me it is a excellent Antivirus App! I downloaded some real test viruses from a unsafe website to see if IKARUS Antivirus would catch the virus's I downloaded and the app performed perfectly! Caught and deleted the virus's! I feel that is excellent for just using the free Version!

• Wow
Reactions: Dave Russo

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I downloaded IKARUS Antivirus, I'm using the free Version and for me it is a excellent Antivirus App! I downloaded some real test viruses from a unsafe website to see if IKARUS Antivirus would catch the virus's I downloaded and the app performed perfectly! Caught and deleted the virus's! I feel that is excellent for just using the free Version!

Hello and welcome :)
IKARUS is not free and has a 30-day trial version.
I'll see if I'll try it again this year.

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Apparently it does use cloud but it’s not disclosed how and it’s not looking like it’s effective.
IMG_3244.png

• +Reputation
Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.