App Review Ikarus Antivirus Test (MalwareDoctor)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
the reason why Ikarus got removed from hitman pro because emisoft was gone not FPs

Now, what does Emsisoft have to do with this? While I am sure there are other details that influenced the removal of Ikarus from Hitman Pro's scanning engine, I am sure the FP's played a role in the decision. If you could find me an official source for your claim it would be appreciated.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
thanks for the great review MalwareDoctor

it looks like Ikarus Antivirus (SUCKS) lol

@nsm0220 what do's this mean please? because i do not understand? thanks

"Ikarus got removed from hitman pro because emisoft was gone"

i thought Emsisoft was added to Hitman Pro after thay took out Ikarus

i could be wrong though?

and i know Emsisoft is out of Hitman Pro now but?

thanks again Doc.

:)

James

Reactions: MDTechVideos

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Now, what does Emsisoft have to do with this? While I am sure there are other details that influenced the removal of Ikarus from Hitman Pro's scanning engine, I am sure the FP's play a role in the decision. If you could find me an official source for your claim it would be appreciated.
they said they were using the old scanning engine of Emsisoft which had Ikarus in it and they say they getting the updated version of Emsisoft but it looks like they had a falling out with Emsisoft so thats why Emsisoft was gone due to licensing troubles between the hitman pro and Emsisoft.

btw Ikarus was meant as a stand alone av like mse thats why you didn't see any zero day protection

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Well Ikarus will remain Ikarus you either love it or hate it as it always have been with them.
If memory serves me well, then Ikarus was the very first Antivirus company since 1990 or 1989 (Not sure)
They have a impressive track record, but they always suffered haters and lovers due to the fact that they always seem to struggle to "polish, refine and perfect" their product. And IMO this review is making that painfully clear.
They are also active in the mobile security industry and as far as i know they seem to do a bit better there, but still its a shame that such a well known name sort of fades to the background.

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
they said they were using the old scanning engine of Emsisoft which had Ikarus in it and they say they getting the updated version of Emsisoft but it looks like they had a falling out with Emsisoft so thats why Emsisoft was gone due to licensing troubles between the hitman pro and Emsisoft.

A credible source would be nice for this one other than "they said". Also this "falling out" would be interesting to know more about. Ikarus is a separate entity from Emsisoft and it can be assumed was dropped from their product for similar reasons as with Hitman Pro. Have you noticed how Hitman Pro has gone through and dropped more engines than fingers on my hand in the last 3 years?

btw Ikarus was meant as a stand alone av like mse thats why you didn't see any zero day protection

When did stand-alone av's not offer zero-day protection? If that were the case than all of my previous av test of standalone products (every test up until this point) would have failed which is not the case. Sure an argument can be made that a true zero-day test is near impossible to make but that is a discussion for another day.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
A credible source would be nice for this one other than "they said". Also this "falling out" would be interesting to know more about. Ikarus is a separate entity from Emsisoft and it can be assumed was dropped from their product for similar reasons as with Hitman Pro. Have you noticed how Hitman Pro has gone through and dropped more engines than fingers on my hand in the last 3 years?

When did stand-alone av's not offer zero-day protection? If that were the case than all of my previous av test of standalone products (every test up until this point) would have failed which is not the case. Sure an argument can be made that a true zero-day test is near impossible to make but that is a discussion for another day.
someone from hitman pro that was useing an wilders account told me that the Emsisoft engine they used for a long time was an old one that had Ikarus in it and btw i should had been more clearer when i said stand-alone av didn't use any zero day protection i meant to say that some of them use zero day protection it was just the whole mse thing i was saying threw me off when i was typing it.

btw doc do you want the person's username so you ask these ? to that person

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013

+43 1 589 95-500 After a little phone call it seems you are right Doc.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
thanks Huracan

that helps alot i did not think it was something else :)

James

btw there could be more the of this story between hitman pro and Emsisoft, then anyone knows about, only hitman pro and Emsisoft have the answer to this and they will keep it to themselves

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
thanks for the suggestion nsm0220

but this is OT and this thread is about the Ikarus Antivirus Test ;)

so i'm out of it

thanks again MalwareDoctor

James

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.