App Review Immunet Anti-Virus Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Hi all,
This is the review/test for Immunet Anti-Virus. Sample sources can be found in the video description & I used Immunet on the default settings configuration. I will start to use 500 instead of 1000 samples to reduce the length of videos to keep everyone happy & I will also be recording the voice over after I have scripted something to say - hopefully with practise this will lead to better quality voice overs.

Thanks for watching :) Please feel free to leave any constructive criticisms or feedback - all is appreciated :D

Malware Blocker

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Your reviews improved a lot since the first few reviews. Keep going! About imunet, it improved a lot and it's now ad free. I think it's a really under rated second opinion anti-malware.
Thank you :) Hopefully with time I will continue to improve. I also agree with you there Immunet would be a decent second opinion scanner but shouldn't be your standard protection.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thanks for the review!

Is anyone even using this? :D

As DosSantos suggested, I believe people are using it a second-string security program. I have forgotten whether it has full realtime capability. I know that to get that with ClamWin, you have to add ClamSentinel.

Immunet is the only security program I can think of that had a pro and a free version and kept the free and dropped the pro instead of vice-versa.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
As DosSantos suggested, I believe people are using it a second-string security program. I have forgotten whether it has full realtime capability. I know that to get that with ClamWin, you have to add ClamSentinel.

Immunet is the only security program I can think of that had a pro and a free version and kept the free and dropped the pro instead of vice-versa.
Immunet does have real time protection & very fast scan speeds/real time protection. If you watch the video you will see that it Quarantines all of the detected malware within 30 seconds or so.

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Awesome review, very informative and quite detailed along with a quick back story of the company. Wish you would throw in some of your opinions about the product at the end. Would you recommend it, how it compare to your last test, etc. that would be very helpful. Overall I loved it!!!

1 quirk of mines, you didn't use the VM Wallpaper (black one) :p

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Awesome review, very informative and quite detailed along with a quick back story of the company. Wish you would throw in some of your opinions about the product at the end. Would you recommend it, how it compare to your last test, etc. that would be very helpful. Overall I loved it!!!

1 quirk of mines, you didn't use the VM Wallpaper (black one) :p
Thanks & yeah I will try to do that next time...

Also I will be regularly changing my wallpaper so don't worry :D

W

Wave

Thread author
I think it's a really under rated second opinion anti-malware.
Each to their own, but I can agree that it definitely outperforms Xvirus Personal Guard on every level possible.

Only joking :D :p

giphy.gif

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Would like if all not working malware were removed previous to testing. I now have no idea how many of all those left are actually able to launch.
Did this product do terrible or half of those are broken?

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
How do I remove all the non working malware? It should be detected but just cannot be launched...
Not really. Maybe this antimalware sucks(never used it) but all the decent products have some sort of behaviour blocker. There is 0 possibility to be able to detect everything with signatures.
So basically non working malware can only be detected by signature if they actually work on any system and can be reported to the antivirus companies to make signatures for them.
When you don't remove malware that crash when launched you are messing with the stats because of the reason i mentioned above.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Not really. Maybe this antimalware sucks(never used it) but all the decent products have some sort of behaviour blocker. There is 0 possibility to be able to detect everything with signatures.
So basically non working malware can only be detected by signature if they actually work on any system and can be reported to the antivirus companies to make signatures for them.
When you don't remove malware that crash when launched you are messing with the stats because of the reason i mentioned above.
Very true but I mean if the malware is in the signatures then it will be detected. If it's not listed in the signatures then yes it will get through unless a behavioural blocker blocks it at execution. I should have mentioned that bit before...

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Very true but I mean if the malware is in the signatures then it will be detected. If it's not listed in the signatures then yes it will get through unless a behavioural blocker blocks it at execution. I should have mentioned that bit before...
It's not about if you mention it. Let's say you test Emsisoft with this malware pack. It will probably have a worse performance that what it deserves because some of the malware don't run and crash(assuming they do) and Emsisoft behaviour blocker will not be able to help.
So you are just testing signatures for those that are broken and in reality who cares about signatures. Malware change every second to avoid signatures.

Anw it's your video and you can do what you wish. Just my opinion.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
It's not about if you mention it. Let's say you test Emsisoft with this malware pack. It will probably have a worse performance that what it deserves because some of the malware don't run and crash(assuming they do) and Emsisoft behaviour blocker will not be able to help.
So you are just testing signatures for those that are broken and in reality who cares about signatures. Malware change every second to avoid signatures.

Anw it's your video and you can do what you wish. Just my opinion.
No I agree with your opinion but how can I check if all of the samples I use to do the Prevention test execute? It would take hours to test each file left over.

W

Wave

Thread author
Not all of that is entirely true.

Normally security products start with the checksum hash detection - they either load in parts of their DB in memory at a time or work with other methods to query the database containing the signatures - and they often perform optimisations so the checksum detection's are towards newer threats, as opposed to wasting disk space on local signatures for malware that was in the wild 6 years ago.

After the checksum hash detection they have the static heuristics - now the static heuristics will involve generic signature detection and I consider this part of heuristics - and the heuristics can do a number of things: HEX detection (based on the bytes), scoring system (e.g. based on what functions are imported, strings within the binary, checking the PE File Header, and so on. Via static heuristics the security product can usually differ between a packed executable and a non-packed executable, via the HEX detection (for some packers), or via the imports (e.g. the file size is large but very few imports, especially functions like GetProcAddress and LoadLibraryA/W (both from Kernel32.dll)/PE File Header/Entropy level). As well as this, static heuristics can include auto-blocking based on the file-name (e.g. PE pretending to be SvcHost.exe, or another genuine windows program which it is not).

After the static detection methods (e.g. checksum hash detection & static heuristics methods), upon execution the executable may be submitted through a cloud network depending on it's file size (e.g. the smaller the file size the higher the chance it will be submitted to the cloud), assuming that specific security product contains some sort of cloud protection. However, the sample isn't always submitted to the cloud (e.g. if there is no behavioural cloud active there), but details related to the publisher of the digital signature may be queried on the cloud network for file reputation information (e.g. check if Adobe is in the trusted list on the cloud). There are numerous approaches for cloud protection.

After the cloud check-ups (if they are there), you will usually have the dynamic heuristics. The dynamic heuristics usually does things like monitor the behaviour of the program by injecting into it and setting user-mode hooks (especially for the first few minutes of execution at least, since malware typically tends to start with adding to start-up and querying details about the user/system, etc). Therefore, if the program launches and then instantly tries to access and perform modifications to the Master Boot Record, then the dynamic heuristics may intercept and auto-quarantine... Or the same logic for a hosts file modification.

That being said, most products move to either good dynamic heuristics or good BB/HIPS, as opposed to both, since they may not always mix well together. And users tend to want more control these days, therefore BB/HIPS is essentially dynamic heuristics, except you are controlling the decisions when specific behaviour is triggered such as AutoRun modifications, injection attempts, host file modifications, MBR access, keylogging attempts, etc.

Therefore moving back to the part I quoted, the Behaviour Blocker does not block at execution - it intercepts based on behaviour while it's attempting to execute (usually via API hooking) instead. And the HIPS does the same thing for it's own specific triggers, such as AutoRun modifications as an example.

Regarding signatures, you can literally make one small modification to the bytes in the file and then it will generate a new checksum hash, circumventing any checksum based detection for the current sample in AV databases. This is why most top vendors focus more on generic detection methods for signatures more than checksum detection's.
--------------------------------------------------

Now I've explained a bit about different stages, I can move back to the original topic discussion: if you are performing malware testing and the program fails to start-up (e.g. cannot run on the OS) then of course the dynamic heuristics or BB/HIPS system cannot interfere, because there is no reason for it to interfere, since the program wouldn't be attempting to do anything to trigger the dynamic heuristics or BB/HIPS (since the program failed to start-up/crashed before it could do anything).

That being said, some malicious software (well more common than not) will perform checks before it executes any malicious code to help determine whether it's running within a virtualised environment (e.g. Virtual Machine in VirtualBox or VMWare) or within a sandbox like Sandboxie (e.g. check for processes (e.g. Guest Additions), registry, etc). More advanced malware will also get the address of functions it may attempt to use, and then perform byte comparisons at the address of this function to determine whether the function prologue in memory has been manipulated (e.g. hooked)... And of course depending on the determination results, it may fake an alert/crash so it appears it isn't working. Malware authors don't want to infect Virtual Machines or execute malicious code within a sandbox unless they can exploit it, they want to infect the host machines.

Even in the case of a scenario as described above regarding VM/Sandbox awareness and fake error/crash; there is still no reason for BB/HIPS to interfere because it wouldn't be triggering anything for it to pop up and ask the user...

Hope the above cleared some things up.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Not all of that is entirely true.

Normally security products start with the checksum hash detection - they either load in parts of their DB in memory at a time or work with other methods to query the database containing the signatures - and they often perform optimisations so the checksum detection's are towards newer threats, as opposed to wasting disk space on local signatures for malware that was in the wild 6 years ago.

After the checksum hash detection they have the static heuristics - now the static heuristics will involve generic signature detection and I consider this part of heuristics - and the heuristics can do a number of things: HEX detection (based on the bytes), scoring system (e.g. based on what functions are imported, strings within the binary, checking the PE File Header, and so on. Via static heuristics the security product can usually differ between a packed executable and a non-packed executable, via the HEX detection (for some packers), or via the imports (e.g. the file size is large but very few imports, especially functions like GetProcAddress and LoadLibraryA/W (both from Kernel32.dll)/PE File Header/Entropy level). As well as this, static heuristics can include auto-blocking based on the file-name (e.g. PE pretending to be SvcHost.exe, or another genuine windows program which it is not).

After the static detection methods (e.g. checksum hash detection & static heuristics methods), upon execution the executable may be submitted through a cloud network depending on it's file size (e.g. the smaller the file size the higher the chance it will be submitted to the cloud), assuming that specific security product contains some sort of cloud protection. However, the sample isn't always submitted to the cloud (e.g. if there is no behavioural cloud active there), but details related to the publisher of the digital signature may be queried on the cloud network for file reputation information (e.g. check if Adobe is in the trusted list on the cloud). There are numerous approaches for cloud protection.

After the cloud check-ups (if they are there), you will usually have the dynamic heuristics. The dynamic heuristics usually does things like monitor the behaviour of the program by injecting into it and setting user-mode hooks (especially for the first few minutes of execution at least, since malware typically tends to start with adding to start-up and querying details about the user/system, etc). Therefore, if the program launches and then instantly tries to access and perform modifications to the Master Boot Record, then the dynamic heuristics may intercept and auto-quarantine... Or the same logic for a hosts file modification.

That being said, most products move to either good dynamic heuristics or good BB/HIPS, as opposed to both, since they may not always mix well together. And users tend to want more control these days, therefore BB/HIPS is essentially dynamic heuristics, except you are controlling the decisions when specific behaviour is triggered such as AutoRun modifications, injection attempts, host file modifications, MBR access, keylogging attempts, etc.

Therefore moving back to the part I quoted, the Behaviour Blocker does not block at execution - it intercepts based on behaviour while it's attempting to execute (usually via API hooking) instead. And the HIPS does the same thing for it's own specific triggers, such as AutoRun modifications as an example.

Regarding signatures, you can literally make one small modification to the bytes in the file and then it will generate a new checksum hash, circumventing any checksum based detection for the current sample in AV databases. This is why most top vendors focus more on generic detection methods for signatures more than checksum detection's.
--------------------------------------------------

Now I've explained a bit about different stages, I can move back to the original topic discussion: if you are performing malware testing and the program fails to start-up (e.g. cannot run on the OS) then of course the dynamic heuristics or BB/HIPS system cannot interfere, because there is no reason for it to interfere, since the program wouldn't be attempting to do anything to trigger the dynamic heuristics or BB/HIPS (since the program failed to start-up/crashed before it could do anything).

That being said, some malicious software (well more common than not) will perform checks before it executes any malicious code to help determine whether it's running within a virtualised environment (e.g. Virtual Machine in VirtualBox or VMWare) or within a sandbox like Sandboxie (e.g. check for processes (e.g. Guest Additions), registry, etc). More advanced malware will also get the address of functions it may attempt to use, and then perform byte comparisons at the address of this function to determine whether the function prologue in memory has been manipulated (e.g. hooked)... And of course depending on the determination results, it may fake an alert/crash so it appears it isn't working. Malware authors don't want to infect Virtual Machines or execute malicious code within a sandbox unless they can exploit it, they want to infect the host machines.

Even in the case of a scenario as described above regarding VM/Sandbox awareness and fake error/crash; there is still no reason for BB/HIPS to interfere because it wouldn't be triggering anything for it to pop up and ask the user...

Hope the above cleared some things up.
Really well written & explained description :) Thank you very much! I hope in the future that I too can memorise all of that information entirely word for word. Sadly at this stage in my life I have to spend hours & hours revising for major exams that will affect my career. Until June my life will be dependant on revision & memorizing information on the GCSE specifications but unfortunately no Cyber Security related content is listed in the Computer Science specification & therefore I will not be trying to learn much of this until all of my exams are over...Then I will take Cyber Security extremely seriously & will start to revise the whole topic, definitions, processes, etc in detail ready for Computer Science A level & eventually Cyber Security at University hopefully :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.