Advice Request Implementing Macrium, now what?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
So I installed Macrium to make a sys image but Im not quite familiar with this, I have no idea what to do next

a6b53c76.jpg

Bigger question is; how do I backup if the disk free space is less than the used one? Also is there a guide on the forums?

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
First, you must have an external disk; otherwise, MR will not allow you to make a copy of the system.
Or alternatively, set your image location on a partition which is not imaged. I store my daily images this way, and my weekly images are copied to external resources.

Though in your screenshot there's little hope for that method without some serious housecleaning.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Or alternatively, set your image location on a partition which is not imaged. I store my daily images this way, and my weekly images are copied to external resources.

Though in your screenshot there's little hope for that method without some serious housecleaning.
Effectively. Or make a partition of your disk. To save the copy.

The following is easy to get carried away by the program, you just have to assign where the copy will be hosted. then take a coffee while making the copy:)
But the first step starts here.

reflectbin_8Ns2dh36p8.png

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I use a 256 gig USB 3 stick. Click on other tasks and create rescue media. Then click on create an image of partitions required to backup and restore Windows. Then when you need to restore Your system, you just boot to the USB stick and restore the full system image.

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
First, you must have an external disk; otherwise, MR will not allow you to make a copy of the system.
I though it would just backup (image) the operative system and not carry along all data that have separate backup solution, like why would I put in an image documents folder?? Is it possible to exclude what to not backup?

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
I use a 256 gig USB 3 stick. Click on other tasks and create rescue media. Then click on create an image of partitions required to backup and restore Windows. Then when you need to restore Your system, you just boot to the USB stick and restore the full system image.
I'd need a lot bigger key then, see my previous answer. I think Im not getting the purpose of this app.

Reactions: show-Zi
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I'd need a lot bigger key then, see my previous answer. I think Im not getting the purpose of this app.

You don't need that big of a USB stick. A full system image creates about 14 mrig files at 4 gig each for my system. I only do full system images and it takes about 20 min. to restore it on my computer. USB sticks are so cheap now, why not go big;)

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

but it will put everything in the image, I have near 500GB of data, will it allow me to only recover and backup windows installation?
I am not sure but what some do is reinstall windows and imaged that if they don't want any extra data carried over. The program also compresses the images. In advanced you can change the compression. I just leave it at medium. And my system is 300 gig, so you can see even in default mode it compresses the images alot.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I though it would just backup (image) the operative system and not carry along all data that have separate backup solution, like why would I put in an image documents folder?? Is it possible to exclude what to not backup?
You can do that, if you set up your system right.
On C drive, you have Windows and installed programs
On D drive, you keep your personal data, such as images, documents, videos, etc
On E drive, you put your Macrium Reflect system images.
Now you can take an image of C and store it on E. However, you will still need a backup plan for your personal data, such as cloud storage or a plug-in disk of some sort.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
How do I do that now? I see that for some reason I have 3 partitions on my disk
I can't find a screenshot of your partitions, but by default, everything is on C. What you need to do is right-click on your data folders such as Documents, Music, etc, and choose properties. In properties, choose the tab "location", and move the folder to the partition of your choice.
For folders that you created yourself, just cut and paste them to the partition of your choice.
Keep going until your C partition is small enough to be backed up. For instance, my C partition is about 45 giga full. So I could easily back it up on a 50 giga partition.
If you do a fresh installation of Windows, it will use less space.

I don't know what your 3 partitions are, but if you have a default setup, 2 of them are very small, and are used by the system. Don't mess with them. Shrink your C partition to make room so you can create D and E.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.