Advice Request Incompatibility with WD and ReHips??

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is there any incompatibility between Windows Defender and reHIPS?

• Yes

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Hello everyone!

Can you tell me if you know if there is any incompatibility with Windows Defender and ReHips?

Reactions: SHvFl

K Atari

Level 2
Verified
Jan 10, 2015
I believe there are no known incompatibilities with those two. I have been using Rehips and Windows Defender for months. There have not been any problems for me. Just remember Rehips is still beta.

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
I believe there are no known incompatibilities with those two. I have been using Rehips and Windows Defender for months. There have not been any problems for me. Just remember Rehips is still beta.
Thanks for your reply :)
Is this a good comp? Did you change any setting on ReHipps?

Reactions: shmu26 and SHvFl

K Atari

Level 2
Verified
Jan 10, 2015
It is relatively powerful. Intel i5, 8 GB RAM, and 500 GB HDD. However, I found ReHips to be barely noticeable in terms of system resources.

I did not change anything major in the settings. I just put ReHips into learning mode for a while then I switched it to Standard. You just have to make sure your system is clean without any malware. I think this way with default settings is best for everyday use. I only use ReHips to restrict anything an antivirus misses and I do not really use the program isolation.

W

Wave

It'd be pretty dumb for ReHIPS to be incompatible with Windows Defender, since ReHIPS is not a replacement for existing anti-virus software, no matter how good it is. Watching what you do and being careful is your first line of defense, your second is preventing the malicious downloads/detecting threats in real-time... Behavioral aspects/HIPS&BB&Sandboxing protection comes afterwards.

Why let it execute and give it a chance in the first place?

Reactions: SHvFl
W

Wave

No one bothered to ask the guy why he asked the question...
He is most likely just curious before he installs it so he stays on the safe side without having to deal with any issues... If he had an issue with it then surely he'd have mentioned this in his original post.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
you can use ReHIPS with almost any AV you want, or with no AV at all, if you so wish.

The main advantage to ReHIPS+WD, besides the fact that it is a pretty light config, is that there are no hooks into Windows core,

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Because i can.
no problem, this is the place to ask anything you want.

I agree with what others have said: WD will not mess with ReHIPS, or vice versa, so you don't have to make any exceptions in either software. I tried the combo, and others did, too. Everything went smooth.

W

Wave

is that there are no hooks into Windows core
There's nothing wrong with API hooking as long as it's done properly however it depends on what you want to do, since sometimes there are better and documented methods of doing something. The problem is when hooking occurs but is not done properly and leads to a big slow-down and crashes.

As for hooking into the Windows core, most security software that does this for purposes such as virtualization actually work with the hyper-visor, allowing them to forget about PatchGuard being present on x64 systems, because they'll still be able to make use of kernel-mode hooking (e.g. MSR hooks). Therefore, the hooks won't be valid system-wide into the real Windows core of the OS (since PatchGuard would prevent it on x64 at least), but the hyper-visor is being used system-wide for real virtualization.

That being said, there is more to hooking than kernel-mode hooking... User-mode hooking can also occur, and that doesn't touch the Windows Kernel and is applied from user-mode.

Microsoft have actually made a library for API hooking (user-mode), it's called MS Detours; the free version supports x86 processes only, the professional version supports x64 processes too (but costs a lot of money). I assume there are tons of vendors out there using it if they apply hooking for behavioral monitoring and the such.

Obviously supported and documented methods are much better, but like I said, depends on what you want to do. ReHIPS haven't taken the approach most others take but then again, it's unique in it's own way and if it works for them then great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.