Installer Software & Setup Creator

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know a good free Installer Creator Software & Setup Creator Software?
preferable one that is FREE and NOT being detected by Virus Total.
Since most of these free ones do compress the setup content using packers like UPX.
And i am looking for a program that does not create all the FP from Virus Total.

So any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Nico

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Wave

If you're looking for such software to package up your own software to be deployed then I recommend you make your own one since you'll have full control and you won't have to worry about un-trusted install creator companies being flagged by Anti-Virus engines due to it being abused by script-kiddie malware authors. As well as this, it'd be harder for a malware author who may attack your product with a fake rogue copy to copy your manual and custom installer interface.

This way you can also develop a custom interface for the installer which will provide a more "professional" and "appealing" view in the eyes of the customers (potentially).

There are some main components when it comes to developing an installer: check for any compatibility issues (e.g. any software installed which won't be compatible with your own), write the product files to the disk (e.g. drop them or download them directly from the server to be dropped at a specific location - you can embed them as a resource and then extract these resources to be dropped at the installation directory, etc), create any registry modifications required, and then at the end you can perform any other additional installation steps (e.g. installing device drivers).

Of course there may be other stages to software installation - it depends on the software - but I think anyone reading this would understand what I mean.

Without that being said, make sure to create a System Restore Point before actually performing the installation so if something goes wrong the user can revert back with ease.

You will also need to gain Administrator privileges to write to protected locations such as Program Files directories/writing to protected registry key locations... Therefore if UAC is enabled you'll have to get by the UAC prompt (consent.exe). During installation, you can create a scheduled task so when your software starts up, it'll be granted admin rights without any more future alerts to your consumers.

Before deploying the installation setup you can pass it through a packer/some packing techniques to help reduce the file size if it is too large however unless your software is really large I wouldn't worry about it too much - note that this can cause Anti-Virus engines to flag the installation depending on the packer/methods used.

All-in-all, regardless of which path you choose (developing your own installation/using an installer creator) you may have Anti-Virus engines flagging the installation left and right... You'd have to contact them for white-listing submissions. You can potentially reduce any detection's via usage of code signing (digital signature) but that won't always be the working solution for some cases.

Hope this helped and good luck,
Wave. :)

U

uncle bill

I use NSIS installer but will switch to a custom installer soon.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.