Advice Request Installing Password Manager extensions on all or one browser?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Specifically your Password Manager extension.

Do you it on all your browsers, or just the one browser?

Or just a desktop app?
I used to install them on all my browsers.
Nowadays I use mostly one browser (Edge) with (Bitwarden) extension on my laptop and the (Bitwarden) app is installed on my phone and iPad.
Synchronizing passwords across all your browsers is one of the reasons to use a password manager.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@FireHammer @YuanJiawj @Protomartyr Why both browsers?

Bitwarden has some passwords and dashlane has some, so in the unlikely event that, 1 is hacked / leaked or Compromised. Only some of my passwords would be Effected.
If the servers are breached, it would not matter which password manager was used, the data would be out in the open. If you mean, your master password was phished, then you've lost everything, because then they have full access to everything in the vault.

I Walk MY Way

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 27, 2013
True but it would be unlikely, to have the servers of both breached at the same time, lets say that bitwarden was breached or my master password way phished . it would only affect the passwords stored in Bitwarden . not the passwords stored in daslane. as the passwords stored in dashlane are all different for different sites.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Firefox , Microsoft Edge , Brave , all with 2 Password Manager extensions Bitwarden and Dashlane,
Bitwarden has some passwords and dashlane has some, so in the unlikely event that, 1 is hacked / leaked or Compromised.
It is highly unlikely that their servers would be breached and even so, they can not access password themselves (zero knowledge encryption).
But it is highly likely, that your browser might get breached, either via a vulnerability (browser, plugin, software, etc) or a hijacked extension.
Maybe consider using one extension in one browser and the another extension in the second browser? To lower the attack surface? :unsure:

I use Bitwarden extension, but I have core passwords (emails for 2FA/recovery) stored in a separate encrypted document, I access it very rarely.
And as for the recovery email for my emails, I use 2FA covered by a phone and a government email accessible only via my personal ID and PIN.

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
It is highly unlikely that their servers would be breached and even so, they can not access the password themselves (zero knowledge encryption).
But it is highly likely, that your browser might get breached, either via a vulnerability (browser, plugin, software, etc) or a hijacked extension.
Maybe consider using one extension in one browser and the another extension in the second browser? To lower the attack surface? :unsure:

I use Bitwarden extension, but I have core passwords (emails for 2FA/recovery) stored in a separate encrypted document, I access it very rarely.
And as for the recovery email for my emails, I use 2FA covered by a phone and a government email accessible only via my personal ID and PIN.
You are completely right, I will revive my password Security, for real.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.