Installing VirtualBox: Should I install everything or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Question: Installing VirtualBox on Windows - Should I install everything?
And what do they all mean?

upload_2016-10-29_23-26-17.png

VirtualBox Custom Setup hierarchy
  • VirtualBox Application
    • VirtualBox USB Support
    • VirtualBox Networking
      • VirtualBox Bridged Networking
      • VirtualBox Host-Only Networking
    • VirtualBox Python 2.x Support
I need some assistance with the above when installing VirtualBox.
  • Which of the above should I install on Windows, and what should not and why?
  • How is VirtualBox affected if not all features are installed?
  • Is it risky to install Python 2.x support?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Virtualbox USB support is required if you are handling those files on flashdrive cause the VM itself still comprise issue on drag and drop files.

But you can assign shared folder instead but make sure to set the mount based on your preference especially in malware testing.

Other features are optional too, they are design if you want to code something in python for API operation/ extend your networking function which will not affect the overall operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.