Troubleshoot Installing Windows 7 without losing your personal data

Kalashnikov

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 13, 2016
I'm going to install a new system specifically Windows 7 , windows now have 10 if there is a possibility of installation of keeping personal files? ( Photos, videos, for example , MKV , .iso files , .mp3 files.I do not what them to copy and also can not lose them ... In short, I want to install Windows while maintaining their personal files, waiting for a quick answer:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you HDD has not yet been split into Partitions, you can create one and move your personal files over. It may take a while to move GBs of data.

You should avoid Logical partitions, they show within a Green border.

If you need advanced tools to manage your HDD, I can recommend EaseUS Partition Master Free.
Free partition manager software to resize partitions - EaseUS Partition Master Free

After you can wipe the OS partition clean and install Windows 7 SP1 without any data loss.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kalashnikov

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 13, 2016
My Windows language is Polish wait...

screenshot

already reduced the size of C , and now I make new what I type in " Volume Label " ?

well already did it, you've read my files to the newly created partition can proceed with confidence to install the new system ?

Attachments

• Screenshot - 05_08.png
    Screenshot - 05_08.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 346
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
Upvote 0

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
Until and unless you format the drive ,no personal file is going anywhere irrespective of what version of Windows you are installing .
Now if you upgrade you will have personal files plus installed program
And if you clean install you will only have your personal files

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Until and unless you format the drive ,no personal file is going anywhere irrespective of what version of Windows you are installing .
Now if you upgrade you will have personal files plus installed program
And if you clean install you will only have your personal files
OP is downgrading, C:/ will need to be formatted.

By the looks of it, you will need to use EaseUS Partition Master Free. Appropriately resize C: drive for the OS + Programs, so that enough space for new updates and software.

The new volume will store all your personal data, you can use the Library view structure in File Explorer to relocate folders; Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music and Downloads. Right-click Properties and Location.

You can follow the guide I posted above. Remember to Apply changes. Do not use your computer during this process.

Upvote 0

Kalashnikov

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 13, 2016
I could but I can not install Windows 7 , shows " the partitions on the disk are not sorted out in the recommended way to learn more about installing GPT disks ... "

I downloaded a tool Rufus chose there, " GPT partition scheme for UEFI " I created a bootable USB stick , turned off in the BIOS function "Secure Boot " kind of turns on the system but it stands in place on the "Starting Windows" help ...

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

If your computer was shipped with a Win8/10 OS , you are on UEFI/GPT scheme which disallow the installation of older OS like win7 or WinXP.

For this you have to switch to Legacy mode , which is possible via the BIOS (if supported). but note that once on Legacy mode , you may not be able to switch back to UEFI.

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@Kalashnikov
Your creating a large amount of issues for yoursef, 1> put all your stuff on that thumb that you want to keep 2> Do as Umbra suggests and switch to Legacy
3> do a fresh install of Win7 SP1.. Remember to keep it simple, the short way is not always the good way.

Upvote 0

Kalashnikov

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 13, 2016
I was able to install Windows 7 , now another problem at the start is a mistake can not verify the digital signature file " winload.efi " error code 0xc0000428:(

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.