Intego Antivirus.

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
I have been testing Intego Antivirus for a month and it has been adequate for me.
Its very frustrating that the single user licenses are very expensive: $46AUD 1PC-1YR
When I'm in the mood for a quick barebones/unbloated 3rd party solution to use on a VM it would be viable at a more reasonable price.
Intego had lots of great deals on their Mac suite too.
I picked up Avast Ultimate, Norton 360 Deluxe and Kaspersky Total licences (all 5PC-2YR seats) for $40, $40 and $30 respectively on CM. I guess that was decent.

(Disposable VISA card with $1.02 credit on standby for account creation. I'm looking at you Norton.)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
You can buy it for $24.39, which is $33.16 AUD from the following link.
You need to check "Need Dual Protection for both OS X and Windows?" under Mac Internet Security X9.

I have never used this antivirus, so have no idea what it's like.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Just tested Micropoint Free AV. It does have some interesting features, like realtime firewall feature. Tested static scan against bazaar fresh samples, it failed all.
Their homepage is Chinese, use "google translate" to download. The install procedure and UI is in English language. It does not connect some suspicious IPs, only its update server.
Homepage (use google translate)

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
You can buy it for $24.39, which is $33.16 AUD from the following link.
You need to check "Need Dual Protection for both OS X and Windows?" under Mac Internet Security X9.

I have never used this antivirus, so have no idea what it's like.
This is a very deceptive deal. The PC AV product that they send a dl_link & key for is PANDA AV 2017, not Intego's own PC AV product. Intego, booooooooo!

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I just tested it briefly. It's yet another antivirus using Avira signatures. Just about all new antiviruses relying on third party signatures are using Avira signatures (although detection rates vary slightly from one product to the next), so it's not surprising. It's a very basic antivirus, which relies solely on local signatures and cloud detection, with no behavioural protection as far as I can tell.

Without any behavioural protection, it's definitely not worth using, just like the various other Avira based antiviruses which also lack this. The following are a few examples of such antiviruses.
  • PC Protect/Scanguard/Total AV
  • ITL Total Security
  • MajorAV
  • WardWiz

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
I just tested it briefly. It's yet another antivirus using Avira signatures. Just about all new antiviruses relying on third party signatures are using Avira signatures (although detection rates vary slightly from one product to the next), so it's not surprising. It's a very basic antivirus, which relies solely on local signatures and cloud detection, with no behavioural protection as far as I can tell.

Without any behavioural protection, it's definitely not worth using, just like the various other Avira based antiviruses which also lack this. The following are a few examples of such antiviruses.
  • PC Protect/Scanguard/Total AV
  • ITL Total Security
  • MajorAV
  • WardWiz
Thanks for the info Roger. So far its running okay for me along side Tachyon's free behavior monitor. I had wondered if Avira might have been lurking due to the high cost compared to other license suites.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I had wondered if Avira might have been lurking due to the high cost compared to other license suites.
I don't think it's expensive to license Avira signatures. Wise Anti Malware is free, Glarysoft Malware Hunter has a free version and they both use Avira signatures. Until recently, 360's security products included Avira signatures, even in the free versions.

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
I have been testing Intego Antivirus for a month and it has been adequate for me.
Its very frustrating that the single user licenses are very expensive: $46AUD 1PC-1YR
When I'm in the mood for a quick barebones/unbloated 3rd party solution to use on a VM it would be viable at a more reasonable price.
Intego had lots of great deals on their Mac suite too.
I picked up Avast Ultimate, Norton 360 Deluxe and Kaspersky Total licences (all 5PC-2YR seats) for $40, $40 and $30 respectively on CM. I guess that was decent.

(Disposable VISA card with $1.02 credit on standby for account creation. I'm looking at you Norton.)
UPDATE:
Intego Antivirus Premium Windows protection no longer appears on Intego's front page. Boooo. I was really enjoying this old school AV stand alone product.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.