Advice Request Intel U processor performance for virtualization ??

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Dear Gents,
i plan to upgrade my old laptop "HP ProBook 4540s core i5 3rd generation" to new one as i need to develop network simulation topologies for my learning using GNSs. for that i need powerful processor and RAMs for creating many parallel VMS working at the same time however i know that H series would be better for performance but i am tight on budget so i am thinking to purchase the following laptop :

HP ProBook 450 G7 Laptop - Intel Core i7-10510U, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, Nvidia MX250 DDR5 Graphics, 15.6 Inch, DOS – Silver​

i will add SSD for OS and Some RAM "it support to 32 GB RAM but the problem is it core i7 with U series. is it will work well or it will stuck or crashes when creating some heavy topologies:
here is the link for the laptop : HP ProBook 450 G7 Laptop - Intel Core i7-10510U, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, Nvidia MX250 DDR5 Graphics, 15.6 Inch, DOS – Silver ( Carry Case Inside): Buy Online at Best Price in Egypt - Souq is now Amazon.eg

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
The CPU in that laptop is 4 cores and 8 threads.

You better off with a Ryzen CPU for the same price like a 5500U with 6cores and 12threads.

Has for running multiple VMs I never tried it on a Laptop. In multi thread work loads the Ryzen CPU destroys that Intel CPU by alot.
R23.jpg

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
The CPU in that laptop is 4 cores and 8 threads.

You better off with a Ryzen CPU for the same price like a 5500U with 6cores and 12threads.

Has for running multiple VMs I never tried it on a Laptop. In multi thread work loads the Ryzen CPU destroys that Intel CPU by alot.
View attachment 262181
but this Ryzen 5 not Ryzen 7 , is it should be compared to core i7 ??
also i am concerned about the difference between U and H

Last edited:

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
but this Ryzen 5 not Ryzen 7 , is it should be compared to core i7 ??
It does not work that way.

Ideally it should be Ryzen 5 vs Core i5 and Ryzen 7 vs Core i7.

However that is what makes Ryzen mobile CPUS such fantastic value for money the Ryzen 5 mobile cpus can
out perform Core i7 Cpus for much less in multi thread apps . You can see the Ryzen HP laptop is priced less than the HP Intel i7 laptop.
Yet the Ryzen 5 laptop is almost twice has fast at multi thread workloads than the Intel which costs more.

This muti-thread performance and extra cores will make a big difference when you run your VMs has you will have more cores(resources) available for your VMs to run on.

Price wise you cant beat a Ryzen laptop for value.
In-fact its just an embarrassment for Intel that a Ryzen 5 mobile CPU can outperform Intels i7 CPU for less has is evident on amazon.eg

U- is for low powered CPUs (15W-26W)
H- is higher power CPUs (35W-45W or higher)

Last edited:

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
You can see the Ryzen HP laptop is priced less than the HP Intel i7 laptop.
it is very good laptop and i was about to purchase but found it doesn't have ethernet port :(:cry:
Yet the Ryzen 5 laptop is almost twice has fast at multi thread workloads than the Intel which costs more.

This muti-thread performance and extra cores will make a big difference when you run your VMs has you will have more cores(resources) available for your VMs to run on.
yes i know that
Price wise you cant beat a Ryzen laptop for value.
In-fact its just an embarrassment for Intel that a Ryzen 5 mobile CPU can outperform Intels i7 CPU for less has is evident on amazon.eg
Th difference in power consumption will not have difference in performance ??
U- is for low powered CPUs (15W-26W)
H- is higher power CPUs (35W-45W or higher)

Reactions: The_King

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I would suggest you buy the latest INTEL 11th Gen Core i7 processor with at least 16GB RAM for VMs. Buy one with at least 8/10 cores for more core allocations for VMs

The H series is for those more powerful and gaming laptops

I own the LG 17 10th Gen Core i7 laptop with 24GB RAM. Memory is adequate for running VMs but speed-wise not that impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: DDE_Server

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
i will add SSD for OS and Some RAM
I assume that you will order the laptop with those additions already installed? Many laptops do not allow you to add RAM manually.

The number of cores you need depends on the number of VMs you will run simultaneously, and how many cores you will assign to them. Some OSes will run fine on one core. Windows 10 running in a VM needs two cores. If you are running CPU-intensive, multi-core applications within the VM, you might need to assign additional cores to that VM.

VirtualBox's rule of thumb is that you need 1 core more than the number of VMs. In other words, you reserve 1 core exclusively for the host, and assign 1 core to each VM. (The VM will not totally hog its core, it will share it with the host.) This rule is subject to the caveats I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

As for RAM: Windows 10 in a VM can run on 2 GB RAM, but you can't do very much on it. 4 GB RAM is good in my experience, and I can do what I need to do with just 3. Other OSes need less RAM.

I am mostly a VirtualBox user, but I think the same is true for VMware.

Last point: the performance of the VM can be influenced by the OS of the host machine. I was happier running my VMs on a Linux host than I was running them on a Windows host. However, if you use a Linux host, don't store the VM on a NTFS partition. This limitation might not apply with Linux kernel 5.15 and up because they are touting better support for NTFS.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I assume that you will order the laptop with those additions already installed? Many laptops do not allow you to add RAM manually.
i am choosing Laptop that support up to 32 GB RAM through it motherboard "Not soldered one"
The number of cores you need depends on the number of VMs you will run simultaneously, and how many cores you will assign to them. Some OSes will run fine on one core. Windows 10 running in a VM needs two cores. If you are running CPU-intensive, multi-core applications within the VM, you might need to assign additional cores to that VM.
i will use GNS3 "Opensource network simulator" which is used to emulate complex topologies "Cisco/Extreme/Fortigate Firewall appliance and connect Virtual machines as host devices.
VirtualBox's rule of thumb is that you need 1 core more than the number of VMs. In other words, you reserve 1 core exclusively for the host, and assign 1 core to each VM. (The VM will not totally hog its core, it will share it with the host.) This rule is subject to the caveats I mentioned in the previous paragraph.
which are pushing me to purchase used Tower server instead however portability is preferred as if want to take some courses elsewhere
As for RAM: Windows 10 in a VM can run on 2 GB RAM, but you can't do very much on it. 4 GB RAM is good in my experience, and I can do what I need to do with just 3. Other OSes need less RAM.

I am mostly a VirtualBox user, but I think the same is true for VMware.

Last point: the performance of the VM can be influenced by the OS of the host machine. I was happier running my VMs on a Linux host than I was running them on a Windows host. However, if you use a Linux host, don't store the VM on a NTFS partition. This limitation might not apply with Linux kernel 5.15 and up because they are touting better support for NTFS.

Reactions: shmu26

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I would suggest you buy the latest INTEL 11th Gen Core i7 processor with at least 16GB RAM for VMs. Buy one with at least 8/10 cores for more core allocations for VMs

The H series is for those more powerful and gaming laptops

I own the LG 17 10th Gen Core i7 laptop with 24GB RAM. Memory is adequate for running VMs but speed-wise not that impressive.
AMD Ryzen give the more number of core with less price which is more suitable so i am considering them right now instead of intel. intel better in frequency overclocking which may netter for games and this is not my purpose

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
AMD Ryzen give the more number of core with less price which is more suitable so i am considering them right now instead of intel. intel better in frequency overclocking which may netter for games and this is not my purpose
Intel is also good for high single core performance, but when you are running virtual machines, single core performance is not the main thing.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.