Internet Download Manager Review

D

Deleted member 2913

Lol.... Feel the pain. Now the minimum bandwidth limit is raised to 1mbps, which, well..., still crawls.
Are you using fiber? Which ISP?
My current speed matches the money, 2mbps unlimited which is about 200-260kb/s download for 1200 INR.
Currently I am trying free JIO offer thats going to end in march...I get anywhere around 500kbps-3.5mbps download speed...now they have limit per day usage to 1GB...1GB over speed is reduced to 128kbps.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
IDM is a very good download manager. I've used it until 3 years ago and something I don't like is the fact that the uninstall leaves a lot of traces in the system. You will want to use Revo Uninstaller or similar software to remove it. I didn't, and the result was that IDM didn't remove its browser plugin, which still tried to catch all my downloads. It aso left many files in the Program Files folder and several nonfuncional entries in the Registry. It was really annoying.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
IDM is a very good download manager. I've used it until 3 years ago and something I don't like is the fact that the uninstall leaves a lot of traces in the system. You will want to use Revo Uninstaller or similar software to remove it. I didn't, and the result was that IDM didn't remove its browser plugin, which still tried to catch all my downloads. It aso left many files in the Program Files folder and several nonfuncional entries in the Registry. It was really annoying.
True. I'll talk to them about this uninstall leftovers issue. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thank for review.
Can you review Eagleget and Free Download Manager? @whizkidraj
Nope, mate. At least not for now, sorry. I have college from 9.15 am to 4.20pm. Have to leave home at 6 am coz traveling alone takes 2 hours minimum. Same for returning home. And all the assignments and engineering stuff.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Lol.... Feel the pain. Now the minimum bandwidth limit is raised to 1mbps, which, well..., still crawls.
Are you using fiber? Which ISP?
My current speed matches the money, 2mbps unlimited which is about 200-260kb/s download for 1200 INR.
Even mine is 2mbps unlimited and same speed as you. 2048 MB divide by 8 = 256 kbps. Mine is 600 rupees per month 2mbps unlimited and 6000 rupees for 1 year unlimited + the youtube videos download speed is always more than 1 mbps and sometimes even for torrents 3 to 11 mbps. At night i.e from 12am to 9 am it is 4 mbps.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
I think "standard" is the word. :)

Off-topic:
Ours is Plan 5MBPS, but after the cap, the speed throttles to 64kbps maximum. :D Believe me you don't want to experience this 64kbps. :D Yeah, our ISPs in the country suck.
Let's go with standard ;) and hehe, mate, you seriously need to change your ISP. Ridiculous speed. Like "r u kidding me" expression type speed.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
I've been talking and talking with IDM people and it's been such a great experience.

So many people think (and I thought, too) that IDM lifetime license is only 3 year supported upgrades.

I talked to IDM people and here's everything to solve your doubts
wink.png

NUGJbNb.png

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It looks like a really good program.
Windows Defender users in Windows 8+ should remember, that files downloaded by Internet Downloader (and most non Web Browser downloaders) will be totally ignored by SmartScreen on the run. It is not a big deal for many users, because downloaders are mostly used to download big files (non executables).:)

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Sadly IDM is much slower than EagleGet for me.

Here's a video I recorded which compares the speed of these download managers individually and also at the same time. (watch it in 720p/1080p) :D

Yet Another One uploaded by someone else.

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Thanks for the review, and of course IDM is one of the best download manager I've tried.
It is proved by the fact that until recently it was the most cracked program ( but I'm not very up to date on this stuff :D).
As already said here, IDM is very invasive, and it leaves many traces in the system when uninstalled.
Best way IMO is to use Revo, yes but the Pro edition (trial is fine) by tracing the IDM installation so that almost all changes are recorded from Revo Pro.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
My problem with all the videos comparing IDM with Eagleget, for instance, is that they always try to show IDM is slower by running it at the same time they are testing the other download manager.

It is my experience that if ANYTHING in your system requires bandwidth, IDM will automatically slow down. So if you are downloading a file and decide to watch Netflix, for instance, IDM will slow down and allow Netflix some of the band you have.

If nothing else in you system is requiring access to the Internet it will use all of your available bandwidth.

Last edited:

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
I try not to post or believe any source from the internet when it comes to comparison or war between two subjects. If one person posts some source that he believes this is better, here's some sources and proofs. Then the person on the other hand can do the same and collect his sources and proofs. And the war would keep going on forever with sources and proofs they want each other to believe in.
And thank you all for your appreciation of my review. I really worked hard for this. Almost one and half months it took me along with going to college, classes, doing assignments and engineering projects, practical programmings, etc. everyday.
And about IDM leftover keys issue after the uninstallation, I've talked with them and they have notified the development team about it and they'll try their best to resolve this in the next coming updates.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
My problem with all the videos comparing IDM with Eagleget, for instance, is that they always try to show IDM is slower by running it at the same time they are testing the other download manager.

It is my experience that if ANYTHING in your system requires bandwidth, IDM will automatically slow down. So if you are downloading a file and decide to watch Netflix, for instance, IDM will slow down and allow Netflix some of the band you have.

If nothing else in you system is requiring access to the Internet it will use all of your available bandwidth.

In the first video of my last post, I ran the download tasks of both EG and IDM one after the other, with no other network activity in the background (analysing NetLimiter). Only then I ran both the tasks at the same time. You can watch it.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.