Internet privacy concerns?

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Cyber Stalking is very real and a growing problem. 8 years ago someone my wife ran into at work saw her name badge. Later he said he found out everything about her and was going to intrude on her life (not in those exact words obviously). But what my didn't tell him was who she was married to and everything he found was either 'planted' information by me or not even her information at all. All of it was a dead end.

I've learned a long time ago the importance of maintaining some level of privacy/anonymity. I'm a ghost online. My real name doesn't exist as a searchable entity and I haven't used it online in a decade. I have a dozen assumed identities. My home address while searchable isn't tied to a real name. Google Maps is blackened out on my street. My tax, county and state records are all privatized. I've recently extended this level of privacy/anonymity to my wife and children who are now ghosts online.

The good thing is - once you take control of all of this it's very easy to maintain. Just check yourself on search engines once or twice a year and file privacy/opt-out forms to knock yourself off anything you re-appear on. It's far better to get a handle on this as early as possible than it will be in the future to attempt to regain control after the dam breaks on all of your stuff. It's far easier to keep control than it is to regain control. For example if photos get out there, they'll be there forever.

Also there are services that can help. Some are free, some cheap, some expensive, some maintain it forever for you. Also I recommend removing/deleting extraneous accounts you no longer use to reduce your exposure and threat surface.

Just Delete Me | A directory of direct links to delete your account from web services.

Clean up your online presence.

What about PayPal or home delivery?
If we order something (non-food stuff) the delivery guy needs to find us. In that case we need to give the phone number, name, address.
Some places don't have "cash on delivery" option and you have to pay by credit card via the internet.

Reactions: given

Sharon532

Sep 12, 2018
Hello...
I wanted to ask that, Is internet banking is safer in apple ios than windows??? Do people think that apple ios is safer than windows for internet banking? I am using internet banking in my windows pc but is it safe here? Please advise me regarding this question.

Last edited:
Reactions: given

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Hello...
I wanted to ask that, Is internet banking is safer in apple ios than windows??? Do people think that apple ios is safer than windows for internet banking? I am using internet banking in my windows pc but is it safe here? Please advise me regarding this question.

Don't be paranoia. The more paranoia you become the more you attract trouble. No matter how much you "secure" your PC you still can get surprise hack out of nowhere or you may lose money in some other context because all your attention was in to secure my PC or i get doomed thought.

Reactions: bribon77 and given

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hello...
From my perspective.. and opinion.

Mobile banking is more secure if 1. the device is not compromised and 2. you use the legitimate Banking app.

If you decide to use an iOS device for banking, download the official banking app from the Apple App Store, and not from the Browser. Internet banking uses the Browser on a PC (or Mobile Browser), which poses a higher risk to Phishing and Eavesdropping (logging/snooping).

mkaz

Level 1
Oct 25, 2018
In the world of today, I believe the term privacy is quite ambiguous. As I have become more aware about privacy and security, I have made a habit of utilizing VPN, and other method to abate the footprints

ChemicalB

Level 8
Verified
Sep 14, 2018
Actually I got cyberstalked 4 years ago and I can't afford to have some issues again :(
Social media allow relationships because reset the distances and meet people. But the violence that the people suffer doesn't cease to exist just because the social has transformed the way we relate ourselves with others. The ways may change, but human psychology remains the same.

The criminals are the same, with the same dynamics in order to collect victims. They have only changed the type of violence. They have refined the tools.
Some victim is courageous but not enough to report the stalking acts, but enough to want to disclose a consciousness of the respect.
Always report a stalker to the police because we are talking about an act of violence.

Reactions: bribon77 and given

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Even if we know every photo and data remains on facebook it is the right decision to remove them because stalkers rarely have the ability to get them. Authorities can have them if they have warrants or they just ask nicely (US) but stalkers usually can't.
Everyone has enemies or ill-wisher and you never know when they go after you.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.