New Update Introducing the “Browser essentials” feature in Microsoft Edge

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
To me this looks like they're trying to mislead users into thinking that because other browsers don't show you these (arguably useless) stats, that they're not doing the exact same thing in the background.

I'm probably wrong and being cynical, but this constant adding and changing of features smacks of desperation in trying to grow—and subsequently monetize—their user base, instead of being apart of a sensible development roadmap.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Or you can ignore the useless features as I do. Some obsess over their browsers such as tab layouts, profiles or appearance etc, Some tweak settings or add a dozen extensions, all I care about is getting on the internet. And the most tabs I ever have opened at one time is like 3 or 4, most times its one.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I agree. Maybe the majority of MS and Windows users need and/or want the kind of improvements MS has brought about lately, or maybe most users just don't care. Most users probably don't read and post on any online computer security forums either. If the internet works and the browser works they don't really care about much else.

C.H.
I agree and I love how Microsoft tweaks Edge for better UI and feel and look and productivity and adds more features. I love that!
If I don’t need something, I can turn it off. No room for any other complaints here.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Edge and chrome basically have the same capabilities. Edge just gives you the option to tweak those settings and they don't decide what is best for you and lock you into that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.