Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
You expect your browser to be fast, efficient, and safe every time you browse. Microsoft Edge has been leading in performance and security innovation with features like Sleeping Tabs, Efficiency Mode, Startup Boost and the highest rated protection against phishing and malware attacks.

You should never have to sacrifice safety or performance when you’re using a web browser. However, we know it can be difficult to understand whether a browser is really giving you a great experience.

For that reason, we’ve improved upon the previous Performance Hub and created Browser essentials to reveal how Microsoft Edge’s performance and security features make your everyday browsing fast, efficient, and safe.

Browser essentials ships to Canary users and will roll out to a portion of Dev channel users beginning with Edge 112.

Performance​

When you click on the Browser essentials icon from the toolbar, you’ll see the status of some of Edge’s key performance featuresEfficiency Mode, Sleeping Tabs, and the Performance Detector.

Image of the Performance tool in Browser Essentials. An efficiency mode toggle is prominently displayed and a graph shows 88% savings on memory.

Safety​

Everyday security as we browse on the internet is critical for all of us. That’s why online safety reporting is built into Browser essentials.

Microsoft Edge uses SmartScreen’s reputation engine to assure that what you click on is what you expect. We’re constantly scanning sites and downloads for you, searching for possible malware.

Browser essentials showing SmartScreen-powered scanning
Browser essentials showing global scanning metrics

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I use Edge stable and have all these things turned off, because I use a PC, not laptop. Should it be that way, or am I making wrong decision?

View attachment 274280
Its up to you, i have everything disabled except the hardware acceleration. I just prefer that edge closes all tasks as i close it ( so there is reset atleast)

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I use Edge stable and have all these things turned off, because I use a PC, not laptop. Should it be that way, or am I making wrong decision?

View attachment 274280
Its up to you, i have everything disabled except the hardware acceleration. I just prefer that edge closes all tasks as i close it ( so there is reset atleast)
I use a laptop and enable hardware acceleration and efficiency mode.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I really wish they would stop adding all these "features". At this point, Chrome is less bloated imho.
Yeah its kind of irony how google chrome is fastest browser to set up ready, as there is no bloat at all. Edge is good browser , it has many useful things built-in but its getting bloated over time. Shouldve been simple browser like EdgeHTML were

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
This just seems to me one more way MS is looking over your shoulder and analyzing every single thing you do online. Maybe they do it in the name of safety but there comes a point where anyone can be too helpful. The bloated unwanted "features" are getting pretty old now.

C.H.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
This just seems to me one more way MS is looking over your shoulder and analyzing every single thing you do online. Maybe they do it in the name of safety but there comes a point where anyone can be too helpful. The bloated unwanted "features" are getting pretty old now.

C.H

Since they can’t compete on speed or anything else (being based on Chromium) they try to compete in the area of usability by adding more and more features. But now they are really starting to overegg the pudding in a typical Microsoft manner. At Microsoft, components are either gonna be half-baked and underdeveloped or, they will be bloated to a point of indecency. There is no middle ground.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I agree. Maybe the majority of MS and Windows users need and/or want the kind of improvements MS has brought about lately, or maybe most users just don't care. Most users probably don't read and post on any online computer security forums either. If the internet works and the browser works they don't really care about much else.

C.H.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

View attachment 274280
In this picture, I have Continue running background......and Efficiency mode off. Others are enabled with Sleeping tabs is set to 30 sec and I use a PC. Sleeping tabs doesn't cause any issue for me so why not use it! Less CPU usage means less power consumption (y) Don't care about the memory saving part of it. The popularity and effectiveness of Sleeping tabs has made Google introduce Memory Saver in Chrome which is pretty bad at its current state.

Last edited:

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Yes on my gaming rig desktop pc.

I would use efficiency mode and sleeping tabs if i had low end desktop or laptop
Thanks a lot for your input. Since my hardware is made back to 2016, I now changed settings to these below. What do you think?
1680822113568.png

My hardware info:
1680822290082.png

What do you think?

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I like the way the Edge is developing. It is now the fastest developing browser of all. Drops, splitting tabs are very good features, now in development - improving low resolution video and workspaces are great too! Better that than like Brave I suppose, just taking code from HTTPS Everywhere and saying that's a new feature. )) Too bad the mobile Edge is backwards compared to the PC version, I miss the dark mode there and the custom DNS to switch to the Edge bundle completely.

Reactions: amirr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.