IObit Advanced SystemCare 5 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

I don't know all the details but how come MBAM database can fall easily into Iobit hands...

Btw, some Iobit products are very good, like Smart Defrag.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
I don't know all the details but how come MBAM database can fall easily into Iobit hands...

Because it's in the hands of every MBAM user... I have a copy. If you use MBAM, you also have a copy.

I'm not sure if the local database is encrypted or obfuscated, but since it's on your machine, you can spent as much time as you want trying to read it.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
HeffeD said:
umbrapolaris said:

Because it's in the hands of every MBAM user... I have a copy. If you use MBAM, you also have a copy.

I'm not sure if the local database is encrypted or obfuscated, but since it's on your machine, you can spent as much time as you want trying to read it.

I remember when reading about this incident the last year that there was something not encrypted, and MBAM can't access it if it's encrypted. That's what I remember, so it may not be correct

P

Plexx

And Advanced SystemCare 5.1.0.196 has been released about a couple of hours ago. Unfortunately I am unable to locate the changelog at the moment. If another user could find it, please post :)

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Changelog:
+ Added "Privacy Sweep" support for the latest version of frequently-used software:
Opera 11.6; Safari 5.1; K-Lite Codec Pack 8.00 (Full); FoxiReader 5.1; Silverlight 5.0; Xfire 1.141; Yahoo messenger 11.5; KMPlayer 3.1; Utorrent 3.1.
+ Added "Performance Monitor"
+ Added IObit Uninstaller v2.1
+ Enhanced support for Windows 8
+ Enhanced real-time optimization of ActiveBoost
+ Enhanced filtering features for the cookies of frequently-used websites
+ Enhanced registry scan
+ Enhanced detection feature for SSD (Solid State Drive)
+ Enhanced Smart RAM, Process Manager and Turbo Boost
+ Improved UI
* Fixed General bugs

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Chiron said:
Dejan said:
Meh, iObit.

Yep, I'll never trust a single product of theirs again after what they did to Malwarebytes.

Believe me there is other security and software vendors that have did far worse than IObit and still continue to do it now. Anyone who keeps up with software news knows about these other big-name controversial vendors.

IObit was just the fall guy because MBAM couldn't take legal actions against them because they are based in China.

They make many excellent free products and they tried to do right by removing MBAM database.
It's over with and time to move on.

Thanks.:D

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Littlebits said:
Believe me there is other security and software vendors that have did far worse than IObit and still continue to do it now. Anyone who keeps up with software news knows about these other big-name controversial vendors.

I'm curious, who are these other vendors? Can you please provide links?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Chiron said:
Littlebits said:

You can Google links if available, I'm not going to waste my time searching for them.

Some of the most know controversial actions known by venders is the following:

Sony- installed malware rootkits to systems not detected by any security solution at the time.
Microsoft had to release a critical update to remove the infection.
But even after that how many of you all still use Sony products? Like PlayStation, televisions, recordable DVD's & CD's, stereos, etc.

Microsoft- back when Windows was first released, they were accused of stealing intellectual properties of Apple. There probably isn't much info online about it because the differences were dealt with behind closed doors, probably a huge payoff. Some of the older users might remember the deal. Still even the users who know about the situation still continue to use Microsoft products. Of coarse there are many more Microsoft controversies involving stealing other copyrighted content, privacy issues, etc.

CheckPoint- Added scareware marketing messages to ZoneAlarm products making users think that they were infected.

Avira and Uniblue partnership.

Google- allowing malicious ads in their recommendations and many privacy issues.

AOL and AT&T- Way too many issues to list, do research.

Facebook- many privacy concerns and security issues, you can read another issue almost every week if you follow the news.

Symantec- a really evil company, but makes excellent products. Do research...

Do I really need to mention Comodo?

Those are the ones that can can remember off the top of my head but there are many more.
Maybe a new thread can be created "Most Controversial Software Companies" where users can add links and their commits.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I think we have here the different degrees of severity and in different cases.
For me a stealer is a stealer. Black on white, no doubt.
So - that each one will ask itself a question of morality, which is very simple: to help or not help a stealer?

P

Plexx

MrXidus said:
Changelog:
+ Added "Privacy Sweep" support for the latest version of frequently-used software:
Opera 11.6; Safari 5.1; K-Lite Codec Pack 8.00 (Full); FoxiReader 5.1; Silverlight 5.0; Xfire 1.141; Yahoo messenger 11.5; KMPlayer 3.1; Utorrent 3.1.
+ Added "Performance Monitor"
+ Added IObit Uninstaller v2.1
+ Enhanced support for Windows 8
+ Enhanced real-time optimization of ActiveBoost
+ Enhanced filtering features for the cookies of frequently-used websites
+ Enhanced registry scan
+ Enhanced detection feature for SSD (Solid State Drive)
+ Enhanced Smart RAM, Process Manager and Turbo Boost
+ Improved UI
* Fixed General bugs

Thank a lot MrXidus!
Littlebits said:
Chiron said:
Littlebits said:

You can Google links if available, I'm not going to waste my time searching for them.

Some of the most know controversial actions known by venders is the following:

Sony- installed malware rootkits to systems not detected by any security solution at the time.
Microsoft had to release a critical update to remove the infection.
But even after that how many of you all still use Sony products? Like PlayStation, televisions, recordable DVD's & CD's, stereos, etc.

Microsoft- back when Windows was first released, they were accused of stealing intellectual properties of Apple. There probably isn't much info online about it because the differences were dealt with behind closed doors, probably a huge payoff. Some of the older users might remember the deal. Still even the users who know about the situation still continue to use Microsoft products. Of coarse there are many more Microsoft controversies involving stealing other copyrighted content, privacy issues, etc.

CheckPoint- Added scareware marketing messages to ZoneAlarm products making users think that they were infected.

Avira and Uniblue partnership.

Google- allowing malicious ads in their recommendations and many privacy issues.

AOL and AT&T- Way too many issues to list, do research.

Facebook- many privacy concerns and security issues, you can read another issue almost every week if you follow the news.

Symantec- a really evil company, but makes excellent products. Do research...

Those are the ones that can can remember off the top of my head but there are many more.
Maybe a new thread can be created "Most Controversial Software Companies" where users can add links and their commits.

Completely agree with you there Littlebits! People tend to just mention Malwarebytes and Iobit and forget the other cases... which well it is sad in a way. I have said before and I say it again, I use some of Iobit's products such as the game booster and ASC.

Prorootect said:
I think we have here the different degrees of severity and in different cases.
For me a stealer is a stealer. Black on white, no doubt.
So - that each one will ask itself a question of morality, which is very simple: to help or not help a stealer?

Prorootect, so if a stealer for you is a stealer, that means you will stop using windows for example? Because windows was indeed accused of stealing from apple and a bit of research should give you some vague information. So to say, you better off move to Linux and Open Source.

Everyone makes mistakes and some learn from their mistakes while some don't, but you would never know that unless you give them a chance to prove that they either learned from their mistakes or not.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Hmm .. It's true that this world is not perfect. But this case, it seems really well documented, there is no doubt then, that IObit - it was stolen ...

It's true that this world is not perfect.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
Microsoft- back when Windows was first released, they were accused of stealing intellectual properties of Apple.

Which is funny, because Apple stole the concept of the graphical GUI and the mouse from Xerox... :rolleyes:

Littlebits said:

-sigh-

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
+2 I agree with Littlebits and biozfear.

Maybe this "dislike" will fade a little faster whenever MF improves vastly in detection. Idk.

P

Plexx

everyone took ideas from one entity to another in one or another way around.

look at apple's lock function on iPad/iTouch/iPhone for example. Other companies 'used' the same concept.

A bit off topic: whats exactly the issue with Comodo?

Anyhow lets put this subject of seatling etc to rest:)

jota13

Level 2
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
I really like Advanced System Care Pro but I'm very cautious when I use it. Always when it detect many errors in Windows Registry, I check it and create system restore point.

I don't recommend tools in Toolbox, especially Registry Cleaner. Once I use it and after I have problem with my computer.

I think Full or Quick Malware Removal is not safe, because it only detect FP. But IObit Malware Fighter is worse.

Active Boost is very good in Advanced System Care Pro- my computer working faster.

But be careful when You use this software.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
biozfear said:
It was confirmed on another thread that version 5 was leaked prior to CNET and other sites having it updated.

I would do a video review, but I would need some help for it. I run it on VMWARE and did some tests. I don't mind testing it again and record it, but I will need to know some decent freeware to record and some tips on recording.

I could try to get the Pro version since I know a friend of mine has version 4 Pro and he has probably updated to version 5.

There's some small differences that are only available on Pro version despite being listed on the GUI (or UI) of the Free version.

here is a thread of mine.

recording tools

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
For our information:

BitRemover remove all IObit software last version v1.4.2: by T-Tools.nl: http://www.t-tools.nl/bitremoveren.php

QUOTE:
'It has been widely reported that after uninstalling their programs a considerable amount of data will be left behind on a computer.

We at T-Tools have created a program we named BitRemover that has been designed specifically to remove every last trace of the entries of IObit programs left behind if and when you had decided to uninstall one or more of these programs. Be aware that we do not in any way advise you to remove any one of IObit's programs.

BitRemover is a joint effort of me, Thomas Hoen (Programmer) and Fred de Vries (Original idea).'

Yeah, Original idea - and very good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.