IObit: do you trust them?

Discussion in 'IObit' started by PEllis, Jul 20, 2016.

IObit: do you trust them?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
  2. No

35 vote(s)
  1. Noxx

Noxx Level 3

Jul 13, 2016
    I have to give credit where credit is due, IOBIT are superb marketers. Their website is very good, I like the UI of all their products, and, despite their short comings, they have a fine "free" selection of software. But I maintain the same issue I have with Qihoo, Baidu, and that's their obsession with selling people's data. There's no money to be made in "free", and they have to find it elsewhere. I'd rather pay. And yes, I'm aware that they have paid products, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say very few people use the paid software, and if they do, it's probably someone's else key they got off YouTube (no one here has done that before, right, right? ;))
  2. Amiga500

Amiga500 Level 12

Jan 27, 2013
    I go by reputation and the talk of knowledgeable people and not by differing countries of origin.
    Its simple with me..if a product or company has a sustained bad reputation across several sources then i go with that and dont use a product or any other products by that company.
  3. Logethica

Logethica Level 12

Jun 24, 2016
    Windows 10
    I voted NO because of the Malwarebytes issue & because they bundle additional software with downloads..
    I do not think any less of China than I do the US,Russia,or the UK
    davisd, Behold Eck, frogboy and 3 others like this.
  4. PEllis

PEllis Guest

I'm currently using IObit's password manager (Random Password Generator), so I should vote yes, lol.
    roger_m, Logethica and Solarlynx like this.
  5. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Level 14

Apr 30, 2012
    Actually I didn't know it's China-based software. It's stupid but I thought it's a European company.:oops: After that Malwarebytes-gate :) I still cannot trust it at all irrespectively where it's based.

I regular encounter with information like in this thread Scareware leads to 360 Mobile Security . That's why I'm ready to trust any Chinese company if it's not Qihoo, Baidu, Cheetah (sorry I don't know other names).
    davisd, Logethica and Spawn like this.
  6. jamescv7

jamescv7 Level 61

Mar 15, 2011
    Web and FileMaker Developer
    Windows 10
    Well it is not about being 'racist' because of their region, however we should aware that documented information provided will determine highly about tactical performance of a company where products represented,
    Logethica likes this.
  7. Evjl's Rain

Evjl's Rain Level 31
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 18, 2016
    Windows 8.1
    I voted yes. I like their softwares

1/ Advanced systemcare: with some tweaks, it optimized my laptop significantly
    2/ Driver booster: it probably the best driver updater because the other apps like driver pack solution and slim driver (something like that) cause my laptop and other laptops unbootable because of incompatible drivers. Driver booster rarely causes but pc can be booted using Lastgood in F8 menu
    3/ Uninstaller: it has batch uninstaller which is better than the others. Geek & your uninstallers use powerful scan only but iobit uses normal uninstaller and then powerful scan -> better. Revo can provide the same thing but free version is not good
    roger_m, davisd, Logethica and 2 others like this.
  8. jamescv7

jamescv7 Level 61

Mar 15, 2011
    Web and FileMaker Developer
    Windows 10
    Speaking on Driver Booster, actually it is on the user decision if willing to accept the risk.

The logic of driver updater is to search for latest updates, so a typical user will follow the instruction if anything found new. (Simple user interaction)

Still a smart user will read the changelog and check for compatibility thoroughly

The program has no fault at all but it's up on user decision.
    davisd, Logethica and Solarlynx like this.
  9. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Level 9

Jun 22, 2014
    #29 Behold Eck, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    I think it`s a good product but do I trust it ? No.

But then again I don`t totally trust any product which is why I use outbound control just to keep an eye on things.

Nice GUI but it is a bit invasive to the point of having to configure it in settings and services.As mentioned the uninstaller and driver booster are good but so are the clean-up tools.The Malware Fighter does not come with the bitdefender engine enabled in the free version anyway.

I would use it on demand but I have no need for it as like CyberGhost I`m currently running Kerish Doctor.

Regards Eck:)
    davisd, Logethica and Solarlynx like this.
  10. spaceoctopus

spaceoctopus Level 11

Jul 13, 2014
    Distant galaxy
    Windows 10
    Advanced system care and Iobit uninstaller are very good products i think. But i think the company itself use a lot of deceptive methods too. Even Emsisoft tells you to be very careful when using their products.
    I remembered at one time i needed to remove ESET on a Pc but was unable to do it. I downloaded Iobit Uninstaller, booted in safe mode and removed ESET. Then i removed the uninstaller from the pc. Always doing on-demands scans with malwarebytes and Emsisoft emergency Kit once a week and protected with Panda Internet security. One day, i was having a look at the Panda process monitor for curiosity, and i discovered that the Liveupdate.exe(from Iobit) was still active despite the fact that i uninstalled Iobit Uninstaller, and connecting frequently to the internet, about 50 to 100 connections a day. Then i removed and quarantined it.
    To answer the question, it will be no, but i think their products are good and useful, especially the uninstaller.
    harman, Logethica, Behold Eck and 2 others like this.
  11. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Level 9

Jun 22, 2014
    Same here,I remember disabling Liveupdate in services long after iobit was removed from the system.

Regards Eck:)
  12. davisd

davisd Level 10

Feb 2, 2016
    Baltic States
    Windows 10
    IObit's Uninstaller is great and its free, finds more leftovers than Geek Uninstaller free and Revo Uninstaller free, i do use the portable version though to not bloat system with unnecassary services running in backgroud, if we talk about IObit's company itself, i don't trust them for many same reasons mentioned by others members here.
    roger_m, harman, Solarlynx and 3 others like this.