IObit is Scummy

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
"Do not judge a product by its country, it has nothing to do with the efficiency of it."

i find this naive. it's not about efficiency or how well it works. do you think people in china that belong to falun gong would use china software on their system, such as a cloud scanner, that scans their entire system and uploads it to the chinese servers for analysis? the government is hunting them and harvesting their organs. would you install a north korean antivirus on your system if you had bitcoin on it? you'll later be wondering how your system was hacked and you lost your bitcoin. this isn't a racial thing, it's a political tyranny thing. it's like saying you would use banking software developed by the hell's angels. all data gathered by chinese companies is available for the communist gov if they wish to gather it. it is easy to hack a company if their employees willingly download bright shiny software gems that can speed up your system, or marvellous games, or whatever, but are essentially trojan horses spying on you for nefarious reasons. sure, iobit or whoever couldn't care less about me, but if i worked for the US military on top-secret tech, or if i had a company that was negotiating a trade deal with china, or if i was the tech guy on hillary clinton's private email servers, why would i let my system be scanned by their malware scanner and uploaded to their servers? crazy is what crazy does.

• Applause
Reactions: Burrito and BVLon
B

BVLon

Said those who buy computers, phones, TVs, cars and many other hardware all made or manufactured in China...
Btw, thanks to all of you avid capitalist customers, you made China the new superpower, who is now one of the major US debt owner LOL
Listen bro. Some popular brands just give us no choice. It comes from China, due to their cheap workforce and that’s it. If there was a German alternative, I’d go for it, but it ain’t.
With software however, there is a lot of choice and I don’t have to install Chinese crap.

To the people saying that Windows downloads generic and old drivers - yeah. It does.
How hard is it to Google the make and model of your laptop and find an official support page?
Why do you have to use yet another piece of cheaply-made sh*t?
Even if IOBit are privacy fanatics and the most ethical company in China 2019, I wouldn’t trust them to install drivers on my PC. I don’t believe they’ve got the know-how, the database, the team or the channels to supply me with the latest ones.
Why would I install with IOBit, Driver Easy, Avira or any of them updaters, when I can download from nVidia’s page for example.
With the risk to repeat myself over and over again I will mention that I’ve got no driver boosters, reg. cleaners or anything on any of my devices and they’re all fast and stable as hell.
Why do I need IOBit?
Running an older video or ACPI driver won’t affect your performance and downloading the latest drivers won’t improve it either, or increase your security. It’s just decreasing the lifespan of your SSD and wasting your time.
Stop using them tuneup programs and you’ll see how (almost great) Windows can be.
It’s same with Android. They say that removing temp files has to be done “right now” to increase performance. You delete those “dangerous and performance-degrading files”, you free up 250 megs of space, in 3 hours the system has stored the very same files there. You clear up the RAM (tho you’ve got at least 4 gigs nowadays), in half an hour all the code that you just removed has been loaded again.
if Google, Apple or any other respected hardware or software manufacturers programmed my system to store these files, load this code and work in a certain way, why do I need qihoo and baidu to tamper with that? Do you think that any of them knows Android better than Google?
Best performance optimisation is, you trade your old device and get a new one. Your performance has already been increased.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

With software however, there is a lot of choice and I don’t have to install Chinese crap.
why "Chinese crap", so for you everything coming from China is crap?
Your sentence is exactly the problem, this rising "despise" and "bashing" of anything Chinese.
i'm not Chinese, im living in a country who are historically not very fond of China, doesn't mean i have to be a sheep, parroting other idiots bashing everything Chinese. I have a brain to distinguish the good from the bad.
Even in Iobit, they do some good stuff, but i guess taking the effort to be rational instead of emotional is too much for some...

To the people saying that Windows downloads generic and old drivers - yeah. It does.
How hard is it to Google the make and model of your laptop and find an official support page?
Why do you have to use yet another piece of cheaply-made sh*t?
Even if IOBit are privacy fanatics and the most ethical company in China 2019, I wouldn’t trust them to install drivers on my PC. I don’t believe they’ve got the know-how, the database, the team or the channels to supply me with the latest ones.
Why would I install with IOBit, when I can download from nVidia’s page for example.
With the risk to repeat myself over and over again I will mention that I’ve got no driver boosters, reg. cleaners or anything on any of my devices and there all fast and stable as hell.
Why do I need IOBit?
As usual with computer geeks, they truly believe everyone is as knowledgeable as them, and you just proved it again.
What you need or not is irrelevant in this discussion. That is your business and strictly yours.
People use them because they need them for whatever reason is valid to THEM.
I know some people who can't even know what their computer are made of, they can't tell the hardware inside their machine, heck they even don't know what is a driver so how can they even know where to get them !
And honestly when you go to some manufacturers driver download page , you better have a degree in quantum physics...
So if such softs can help them and make their live easier, why not. If those kind of soft still exist and still sell, it is because there is a demand for them.

B

BVLon

why "Chinese crap", so for you everything coming from China is crap?
Your sentence is exactly the problem, this rising "despise" and "bashing" of anything Chinese.
i'm not Chinese, im living in a country who are historically not very fond of China, doesn't mean i have to be a sheep, parroting other idiots bashing everything Chinese. I have a brain to distinguish the good from the bad.
Even in Iobit, they do some good stuff, but i guess taking the effort to be rational instead of emotional is too much for some...

As usual with computer geeks, they truly believe everyone is as knowledgeable as them, and you just proved it again.
What you need or not is irrelevant in this discussion. That is your business and strictly yours.
People use them because they need them for whatever reason is valid to THEM.
I know some people who can't even know what their computer are made of, they can't tell the hardware inside their machine, heck they even don't know what is a driver so how can they even know where to get them !
And honestly when you go to some manufacturers driver download page , you better have a degree in quantum physics...
So if such softs can help them and make their live easier, why not. If those kind of soft still exist and still sell, it is because there is a demand for them.
If I don’t even know what “driver” is, how would downloading a new driver improve my life or my computer use? This just proves that companies such as IOBit, successfully or unsuccessfully capitalise on the average Joe who is not tech-savy, by pushing him software of a questionable benefit. If Joe needs the very latest driver from AMD Radeon, then Joe is perhaps a gamer. As such, he knows where to obtain his driver.
The old grandma that just wants to skype her daughter, the teenager that wants to watch YouTube and PHUB, the teacher that wants to do a spreadsheet have 0 benefit from the latest Realtek driver. IOBit uses red colors, exclamation marks and other ancient tricks to get them to spring 20 quid on Driver Booster, 20 quid on optimizer and 20 quid on antivirus, because “they are at risk”. For the money spent, he only gets endless alerts and yet another program to slow him down.
The above-mentioned business practices are, at the very least, unfair to endless number of developers who actually put some real, extremely hard work in their software, and yet they have to offer it cheap, or even free because they are not willing to implement fake alerts, and exaggerated reports.

I am not bashing everything Chinese, but if I do have a UK- or EU- based alternative, I’d pick and recommend it over the Chinese one any day.
It’s also not only IOBit and Chinese companies utilising scareware tactics to do business.
Avast is another example how psychology can quickly bring profit. I don’t like any company doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Divine_Barakah
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

This just proves that companies such as IOBit, successfully or unsuccessfully capitalise on the average Joe who is not tech-savy, by pushing him software of a questionable benefit. .
like many software from vendors all across the world.

The old grandma that just wants to skype her daughter, the teenager that wants to watch YouYube and PHUB, the teacher that wants to do a spreadsheet have 0 benefit from the latest Realtek driver. IOBit uses red colors, exclamation marks and other ancient tricks to get them to spring 20 quid on Driver Booster, 20 quid on optimizer and 20 quid on antivirus, because “they are at risk”. For the money spent, he only gets endless alerts and yet another program to slow him down.
The above-mentioned business practices are, at the very least, unfair to endless number of developers who actually put some real, extremely hard work in their software, and yet they have to offer it cheap, or even free.
Welcome in the real world of business, my friend.
Like many, people want stuff to do the job for them, they want the One Soft, the soft that rules all softs, the "One-click-that-solve-all-my-issues" kind of soft. You don't know that?
Even "reputable" companies capitalize on those type of Average Joes; Norton is the best example, first in line with their super-bloated overpriced Norton 360 "spin my wallet" suite with all the goodies no one needs; and yet you blame others doing the same? really?

The phenomenon isn't trademark of China, it is all over the world, Chinese companies are just more efficient to profit from it.
Which i don't blame and even praise, Business is Business. And after all no one put a gun on the head of those Average Joes to force them to pay.

Reactions: roger_m

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Also when talking about Chinese products, we have to consider cultural mindsets.
1- "Copying" is a natural Asian tendency, and proven quite effective, we copy but we copy and make it better :p
2- Chinese software are most of the time made primarily for locals users, they have a different mindset about how a product should be, for westerners they feels it is bloated, unprofessional designed, but Chinese people like that way. Fancy animated and colorful UI is selling point.
3- Asian Average Joes really really don't care about the technicalities on how and why things works, it must works, that is it, and if the GUI is cool , that is even better.
just compare Chinese phone apps with western ones, lot of less-than-useful functions with fancy design and colors, not even mentioning manga style characters...

Whether you know this or not will change your thinking about evaluation. It is a precise point. Japan also has a history of imitation.
I think the Asian way of thinking is closer to the logic of 'Aiming for 2 by using the existing 1 rather than trying to change 0 to 1.' The logic is 'use existing available items efficiently'.

I do not intend to avoid Chinese software in particular, but I am not good at flashy colors of UI.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Whether you know this or not will change your thinking about evaluation. It is a precise point. Japan also has a history of imitation.
I think the Asian way of thinking is closer to the logic of 'Aiming for 2 by using the existing 1 rather than trying to change 0 to 1.' The logic is 'use existing available items efficiently'.

I do not intend to avoid Chinese software in particular, but I am not good at flashy colors of UI.
Exact, Asians usually don't try to reinvent the wheel wasting resources on it, they modify or improve what they have under hand to fit their needs.

B

BVLon

like many software from vendors all across the world.

Welcome in the real world of business, my friend.
Like many, people want stuff to do the job for them, they want the One Soft, the soft that rules all softs, the "One-click-that-solve-all-my-issues" kind of soft. You don't know that?
Even "reputable" companies capitalize on those type of Average Joes; Norton is the best example, first in line with their super-bloated overpriced Norton 360 "spin my wallet" suite with all the goodies no one needs; and yet you blame others doing the same? really?

The phenomenon isn't trademark of China, it is all over the world, Chinese companies are just more efficient to profit from it.
Which i don't blame and even praise, Business is Business. And after all no one put a gun on the head of those Average Joes to force them to pay.
Norton is neither expensive, at a price point of £15.00 quid for 3pcs it merely breaks the bank here in the UK, nor it is bloated, compared to many others that push you 100 features you’ll never use. Also, Norton requires ONGOING hard work to stay on par with competition.
Apart from backup and basic tuneup, Norton offers pretty much nothing else.
You know how much resources go into an AV...

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Norton is neither expensive, at a price point of £15.00 quid for 3pcs it merely breaks the bank here in the UK, nor it is bloated, compared to many others that push you 100 features you’ll never use. Also, Norton requires ONGOING hard work to stay on par with competition.
Apart from backup and basic tuneup, Norton offers pretty much nothing else.
You know how much resources go into an AV...
What was the name of the optimization suite they sold decades ago? I used it when I started computing , was useful to me. Then after it was sold within their suite and finally abandoned few years ago.

B

BVLon

What was the name of the optimization suite they sold decades ago? I used it when I started computing , was useful to me. Then after it was sold within their suite and finally abandoned few years ago.
PC tools. It was an Aussie company known with PC Doctor or something of this sort. They didn’t sell it, they just absorbed whatever they needed and killed the rest. PC Tools continues to operate even today, under the Symantec umbrella and brings a lot of innovations to the Norton family.
Symantec however, became increasingly unstable, constantly changing management and strategies, and that caused many people to find a career elsewhere.
Behind the whole BASH (if you’ve seen my thread) is no one else, but PC Tools.
It’s worth mentioning that a lot of today’s modern and cool AV features were first seen in Symantec’s Norton.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Yes exact. This thing was expensive and Norton made big bucks from it, was it so different than what iobit and others do? No. In fact Norton was pioneer and influenced all of them.
The funny thing is that it's still sold on some online stores 😂

• HaHa
Reactions: BVLon
B

BVLon

Yes exact. This thing was expensive and Norton made big bucks from it, was it so different than what iobit and others do? No. In fact Norton was pioneer and influenced all of them.
This was another piece of useless crap. Like TuneUP Utilities, later on acquired by AVG and Avast subsequently. Their program deactivator did have a minor positive impact, the rest of the tools are just bloatware. Ironically, same deactivator magically appeared in ASC too.
Can it be a coincidence?

The funny thing is that it's still sold on some online stores 😂

It’s still sold as Norton Utilities (I think). At least before it was.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Yes, TuneUp, System Mechanic, etc...
Useless to us geeks, but not for beginners who can find some use of them.

Such tools usually cause serious issues and break Windows so they are useless in every case not to mention that some tools such as Iolo slowdown systems (a tools which is supposed to speed up a system slows it down, a thing that a monkey's mind cannot accept.)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.