AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I use a small GitHub app called IP Monitor to check for IP changes. It lets me know if it ever changes. I have been using the app for about 4-5 months and never had the IP change until today. Today I noticed it changed from the long standing one to a new one, and I was wondering if this is normal and also what might cause the change. The log says it happened at 11:50 here or about 5 hours ago, and I wasn't doing anything special at the time. Must have been away when the tray pop up went off because I never did see an alert for the change...just happened to check...

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
I use a small GitHub app called IP Monitor to check for IP changes. It lets me know if it ever changes. I have been using the app for about 4-5 months and never had the IP change until today. Today I noticed it changed from the long standing one to a new one, and I was wondering if this is normal and also what might cause the change. The log says it happened at 11:50 here or about 5 hours ago, and I wasn't doing anything special at the time. Must have been away when the tray pop up went off because I never did see an alert for the change...just happened to check...
are you talking about your WAN ip? If yes,then most probably it's ok.

You can check those ip addresses' registration.... Just do a web search with those ip

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
are you talking about your WAN ip? If yes,then most probably it's ok.

You can check those ip addresses' registration.... Just do a web search with those ip

Thx for the answers :). It's the WAN address, so it sounds like it's fine. First time I have ever tracked it on a PC...

BTW, I just checked and sure enough it shows up from the proper ISP as a reassigned IP number. I guess maybe they expect a check after a change and use the designation to indicate the change. Thx again...

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

How it works is, most ISP's trigger a reservation refresh toward the end of the billing cycle. At which time if your modem doesn't respond to a drop and push they will trigger a refresh on the DHCP IP on the WAN with the assumption you don't have statics.

This is entirely normal.

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Clever and good to know. Wondering how many issues like this there must be for network managers to oversee, set up for, etc. :emoji_flushed:. Must be 1000s, and I confess I don't know how they find memory capacity for keeping track of it all. Thx for the knowledge :)...

Reactions: yitworths
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Clever and good to know. Wondering how many issues like this there must be for network managers to oversee, set up for, etc. :emoji_flushed:. Must be 1000s, and I confess I don't know how they find memory capacity for keeping track of it all. Thx for the knowledge :)...

In general businesses have static IP assignments. Usually 3-5 minimum. So monthly billing pushes and reservation clears don't impact them. What happens at each billing cycle is they see who is 'active' and if someone isn't responding they pull the reservation, push a new one, and do a signal pump on the modem to bring it into compliance. Also this pushes out the configuration to ISP owned routers, etc. In the process this 'knocks' anyone stealing their signal off the network.

For appliances such as Fortigate's on a business network with DHCP (ugh), we use FortiDDNS which automatically refreshes itself when the WAN IP changes. This allows business continuity in the event of such matters. I've worked as an engineering consultant for a couple of cable companies/ISP's and used to be CEO/Owner of an ISP that I sold off to a bigger ISP. Anyway, lately with my existing ISP who I can get free services from I got so tired of monthly billing cycle pushes on my 'free' connection that I told them to start charging me to avoid it. So now I pay for my connection, and don't get knocked off and have to call over to the NOC to get my config manually pushed. Sometimes free isn't worth free.

Reactions: AtlBo

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
It happened to me a while ago. I wanted a static IP address from my ISP and then I noticed one day as well that the IP had changed, to find out that they had moved my ISP server to a different location so that would of been why I had a different IP address.

Reactions: AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.