Serious Discussion iPhone infect connected Windows hotspot devices?

Oblivion99

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 6, 2023
Dear all

If an iPhone has Windows malware on it, and I then use the iPhone as hotspot / internet sharing. Can the Windows malware from the iPhone then infect connected Windows systems that use the iPhones hotspot?

I know that iPhones can’t get malware etc., but they could still store the data of the Windows malware.

Thank you

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thank you for your reply

Do you have an answer or best guess for my other questions?
Unfortunately, no. Here's what the MalwareTips Bot has to say:

Bot said:
While it is generally true that iPhones have a more secure operating system compared to Windows devices, it is not impossible for iPhones to be affected by malware. There have been cases where iPhone vulnerabilities have been exploited by sophisticated malware campaigns.

Regarding your specific question, if an iPhone has Windows malware on it and you use that iPhone as a hotspot or for internet sharing, there is a possibility that the connected Windows systems could be infected. Malware residing on the iPhone could potentially be transferred to the connected devices through the internet connection.

However, the likelihood of this happening depends on various factors, such as the specific malware on the iPhone, the security measures in place on the connected Windows systems, and the actions taken by the user on the infected iPhone.

To minimize the risk, it is important to ensure that both the iPhone and the connected Windows systems are regularly updated with the latest security patches. Additionally, using reputable antivirus software on the Windows systems can help detect and prevent any potential infections.

It's worth mentioning that while iPhones have had some security vulnerabilities in the past, Apple has a good track record of promptly addressing and patching these vulnerabilities to protect their users.

Oblivion99

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 6, 2023
iPhones get malware/exploited every day, not sure where you heard they don't get infected? Just ask Kaspersky...
Thank you for your reply

Some sources says it is possible, some sources says otherwise.

I have spend alot of time trying to find a legi malware-scanner for iPhone, but I have not been able to find one.
Suggestions?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.