Advice Request Wanted: Vpn Hotspot Router

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Hi MT.
I'm doing the Brockwell challenge and losing my SIM card.
Can someone recommend a strong VPN hotspot router?
Some requirements:
1) Ideally fits in a regular pocket.
2) Fast bootup. (as it will remain off unless in use)
3) VPN functionality (at least OpenVPN but wireguard would be good too)
4) My 5G data SIM is capped at 250mpbs so as close to that speed as possible with the VPN running.
5) Prefer not to be another phone but just a wifi hotspot router.
6) Can give the internets to my SIM-less phone using a tether instead of WiFi if needed.
7) Enough battery for a day out and about.

I currently have an Inseego M2000 which is very slow to boot and seems to require manually turning the VPN on which can only be done via a webpage interface rather than the management app.
It manages about 22mbps speed with ProtonVPN connected to the "fastest" server which I assume is due to the weak ass chip. It doesn't fit my jean pocket, only my jackets.
We don't have a Calyx option here in Australia but my data SIM provides up to 400GB per month so.... enough for now.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello,
Based on your requirements, the GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext (Slate) Gigabit Travel AC VPN Router might be a great choice. It supports OpenVPN and WireGuard, has a quick boot time, and can reach up to 300Mbps on 2.4G Wi-Fi and 433Mbps on 5G Wi-Fi. It's compact, fits in a pocket, and can be powered by any laptop USB, power banks, or a 5V DC adapter. However, keep in mind that the battery life might vary depending on the power source and usage.

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Hello,
Based on your requirements, the GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext (Slate) Gigabit Travel AC VPN Router might be a great choice. It supports OpenVPN and WireGuard, has a quick boot time, and can reach up to 300Mbps on 2.4G Wi-Fi and 433Mbps on 5G Wi-Fi. It's compact, fits in a pocket, and can be powered by any laptop USB, power banks, or a 5V DC adapter. However, keep in mind that the battery life might vary depending on the power source and usage.
I have that router. Its USB power port doesn't work anymore. The model is discontinued and also requires an external battery pack which excludes it from my requirements.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I have that router. It's USB power port doesn't work anymore. The model is discontinued and also requires an external battery pack which excludes it from my requirements.
I apologize for the confusion. You might want to consider the Netgear Nighthawk M1 Mobile Hotspot 4G LTE Router MR1100. It supports VPN pass-through, has a quick boot-up time, and delivers up to 1Gbps download speed. It has a built-in battery that lasts up to 24 hours and is compact enough to fit in your pocket. However, it doesn't support 5G. For a 5G option, consider the Netgear Nighthawk M5, but it's larger and might not fit in a regular pocket.

Reactions: Cleo

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
I can't get what I need in a hotspot. VPN (even Wireguard) will chug too much power.
Here are the assembled odds, spares, and "lucky finds" from the storeroom at work.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel 300 3.9 GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock LP CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Lexar Ares RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Palit KalmX GeForce RTX 3050 6GB 6 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: In Win P105II 1050 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-01 00:41 AEDT+1100

What kind of VPN router can I make from this with an extra AUD 300 budget? Prefer a small, quiet unit. Wi-Fi is not required but nice. Needs 250mbps native OpenVPN speed.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Prefer a small, quiet unit. Wi-Fi is not required but nice. Needs 250mbps native OpenVPN speed.
If wifi hotspot is not a requirement, then you can consider Netgate Pfsense device, which are fanless, comes with enterprise level firewall and you can install IDs/ips applications like suricata. The second device can give you ipsec VPN speeds upto 3 Gbps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cleo

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
If wifi hotspot is not a requirement, then you can consider Netgate Pfsense device, which are fanless, comes with enterprise level firewall and you can install IDs/ips applications like suricata. The second device can give you ipsec VPN speeds upto 3 Gbps.

They look nice. Pretty expensive here. The base unit is about $1K AUD.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
If you use the 4G/5G network well, take a look at the Netgear 4G LTE Nighthawk M1 :)

Reactions: Nevi and Cleo

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Check out this 5G router too, supports 5g, ipsec vpn, wire guard etc.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 082555.png

This one is less costly but not 5G.

If you dont need LTE then check this out, its priced at $139.00

Last edited:

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Check out this 5G router too, supports 5g, ipsec vpn, wire guard etc.

View attachment 282524

This one is less costly but not 5G.

If you dont need LTE then check this out, its priced at $139.00

Very nice. Unfortunately, the Chateau is out of stock everywhere I look.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.