Advice Request iPhone Lightning cables?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Are braided nylon cables worth the extra $?

Which do you recommend?
AmazonBasics or any brand?
A review:
Wouldn't go for AmazonBasics:
CNN reported that a number of AmazonBasics products are prone to explode, catch on fire, or begin smoking, melting or causing electrical malfunctions, including our previous budget pick, the AmazonBasics Lightning to USB-A cable. We’ve investigated Amazon customer reviews of this cable and no longer recommend it due to the amount of reports related to fire, heat and melting.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020

Which do you recommend?

I think depends on the type of utilization, if they are to connect and stay still and don't move them too much a cheaper cable will do.
If they move a lot or stay in strange positions, its better invest in a good cable, I will give you an example:

The USB 3.0 and USB-C in my laptop are in a difficult position, so the cable safer a lot of effort, and some times they have to be removed to take the laptop. So if your cables are expose to some weird positions, its better be good and invest a Little beet.

IMG_8826.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8827.jpg
    IMG_8827.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 478
  • IMG_8828.jpg
    IMG_8828.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 495

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I've read most of these "best" articles and online reviews always have different feedback.

Any recommendation from iPhone/iPad members here?
I am using basic Apple cables delivered with my devices and I see no reason to pay extra $ for braided cable.
And if you really want something else then go for a reputable brand certified by Apple (like Belkin or Native Union).

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Correct me if I'm wrong.

But a cheap braided cable is just that, a cable that is wrapped with cloth/plastic. It could be of high or low quality inside. It offers very little protection, no shielding, and it could add 'stiffness' to a cheaply made cable inside so it appears more high quality.

A product where sheathing does work is armored electrical cables (Romex wrapped in metal). It is much more damage resistant. There are probably a thousand of other braidings/shieldings that serve a purpose, such as for either protection, EMI/RFI or foil sheilding, direct burial applications, etc.

Most of the braided cables such as cheap lightening, USB, HDMI, etc. are going to be there for looks and to make a cable 'feel' more expensive. It may offer more 'bending' or 'pulling' protection for a cheaply made cables.

I did purchase an Amazon Basics Ethernet HDMI cable recently. It had no braiding, but was very high quality for the price. I actually returned it because it was too thick (would have required a 1" hole through brick) and purchased a thinner, less quality braided cable instead since the application wasn't critical.

I agree with @pablozi though. Name brand over braiding for any cable. Apple, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, Amazon Basics, Belkin, etc. all make great cables, braided or not.

To give another example and I'll end it here, I purchased a cheap CAT5e cable before that had no twisting inside between the pairs and was made out of stranded aluminum (definitely not CAT5e specs). It wasn't braided, but even if it was, it still wouldn't have made the cable inside any better.

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014

Which do you recommend?
I got Dark Grey version of Lightning cable braided from AmazonBasics since Anker's similar version was out of stock and Apple stock cable was failing to detect iphone sometimes. But if you are in doubt, you can use 3utools genuine accessories feature to check if cable is genuine or not (if you are getting stock Apple 6ft cable).
I heard Black and white cables of Amazonbasics had issues. So I went with Dark Grey 3ft cable instead of 6ft.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would buy Anker.
I had a look on their website and there's a lot of Lightning varieties to chose from, which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: amirr

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I am using basic Apple cables delivered with my devices and I see no reason to pay extra $ for braided cable.
The ones we have are a few years old, torn or have exposed wiring (safe to handle). Some cables don't charge, hence looking to replace with better durability.

Reactions: Vasudev and Nevi

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
The ones we have are a few years old, torn or have exposed wiring (safe to handle). Some cables don't charge, hence looking to replace with better durability.
In this case I would go for a reputable brand like Belkin or Anker.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.