Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
sphtext.png

Iridium Secure WebRTC Browser has been developed to provide business and private users with the maximum level of security, transparency, availability, and privacy. The automatic transmission of browser data to central services is inhibited while privacy is enhanced in several key areas. Freedom and personal security is something you should not have to enable, it should be the default. That is what Iridium is all about.

Iridium is a free, open, and libre browser modification of the Chromium code base, with privacy being enhanced in several key areas. Automatic transmission of partial queries, keywords, metrics to central services inhibited and only occurs with consent. In addition, all our builds are reproducible, and modifications are auditable, setting the project ahead of other secure browser providers.

Speed
Iridium is just fast in any way. It starts very fast, and loads and renders also very complex web sites really fast.

Ease of use
Just anybody can use iridium right away. It is simple and easy to use, it does not require any special knowledge at all.

Security
Chromium (which Iridium is based on) is a very secure browser, yes. But it does call home to Google. And, we did more to enhance security to the maximum extent possible.

More information:
Iridium Browser | Secure Browser. Made in Germany.
Iridium Secure Browser Project · GitHub

Iridium Browser 47.0.0
Code:
Test build
https://downloads.iridiumbrowser.de/windows/47.0.0/iridiumbrowser-47.0.0-extra-x64.msi
https://downloads.iridiumbrowser.de/windows/47.0.0/iridiumbrowser-47.0.0-extra-x64.zip

https://downloads.iridiumbrowser.de/windows/47.0.0/iridiumbrowser-47.0.0-extra-x86.msi
https://downloads.iridiumbrowser.de/windows/47.0.0/iridiumbrowser-47.0.0-extra-x86.zip

Stable
https://downloads.iridiumbrowser.de/windows/47.0.0/iridiumbrowser-47.0.0-x64.msi
https://downloads.iridiumbrowser.de/windows/47.0.0/iridiumbrowser-47.0.0-x64.zip

https://downloads.iridiumbrowser.de/windows/47.0.0/iridiumbrowser-47.0.0-x86.msi
https://downloads.iridiumbrowser.de/windows/47.0.0/iridiumbrowser-47.0.0-x86.zip

I

illumination

Threw it in a VM, found home page/search adjusted to Qwant Search engine, some under the hood tweaks in settings were done for you like in cookies "keep Local data, and block third party.. Other then this it appears to be like any other CHROME/CHROMIUM i have used, nothing special in Chrome://entensions or /plugins or GUI.

It does come in 32 bit and 64 bit flavors.

Y

yigido

Differences between Iridium and Chromium

This page describes the changes we did in Iridium compared to the Chromium base version. Please note that this list might not be exhaustive, so always check the Git repository at iridium-browser - iridium secure browser for the latest changes.

The Releases page contains information about changes between the different versions of Iridium.

For the exact changes on code level see iridium-browser - iridium secure browser

Security improvements
  • Increase RSA keysize to 2048 bits for self-signed certificates (used by WebRTC)
  • Generate a new WebRTC identity for each connection instead of reusing identities for 30 days
  • Generate a new ECDHE keypair for each WebRTC connection instead of reusing them for multiple connections
  • Disable using system-provided plugins (i.e. Java, Flash, etc.)
Privacy enhancements
  • Disable "Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors"
  • Disable autocomplete through prediction service when typing in Omnibox
  • Always send "Do-Not-Track" header
  • Network/DNS prediction is disabled by default
  • Block third-party cookies by default
  • Link auditing (<a ping="...">) is disabled by default
  • Fetch plugins list from iridiumbrowser.de where it will be updated regularly
  • Site data (cookies, local storage, etc.) is only kept until exit, by default
  • Passwords are not stored by default
  • Input form autofill is disabled by default
  • For IPv6 probes, use a DNS root server instead of Google
  • The default search provider is Qwant
  • Load "about:blank" on new tabs instead of the currently set search engine and/or promotions.
  • Don't report Safe Browsing overrides.
  • Don't use autofill download service.
  • Disable cookies for safebrowsing background requests.
  • Disable the battery status API.
Disabled features
  • Disable background mode
  • Disable EV certificates, so they are shown just like "normal" certificates
  • Disable Google cloud printing
  • Disable Google hot word detection
  • Disable Google experiments status check
  • Disable Google translation service
  • Disable Google promotion fetching
  • Disable Google Clould Messagin (GCM) status check
  • Disable Google Now
  • Disable automatic update check
  • Disable profile-import on first run
Networking changes
  • Network/DNS prediction is disabled by default
  • Link auditing (<a ping="...">) is disabled by default
Other changes
  • Add DuckDuckGo search provider
  • Add Qwant search provider
  • Add certificate pinning for iridiumbrowser.de
  • Let user confirm downloading translation dictionaries from Google
  • Always prompt for download directory
  • Don't ask to send settings to Google by default on profile reset
  • Don't warn about missing API keys (services are not used anyway)
  • Iridium will show a warning bar when running possibly unwanted requests (trk prefix)
  • Show all extensions (including internals) in chrome://extensions.
Google Safe Browsing
Iridium has Google Safe Browsing enabled by default. This means within 5 minutes after start and then every 30 minutes a request to Google and/or iridiumbrowser.de (keeps a cache) is made to update the local safe browsing data base. You can disable it at any time in the settings by unchecking Privacy -> Enable phising and malware protection (advanced settings) to avoid this request to Google.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Most chrome copies claiming enhanced privacy and or security can't keep up with chrome releases, so they become vulnarable (lagging patches for published vulnsbilities), current iridium chromium branche can be found here
iridium-browser - iridium secure browser

They use latest chrome branche at the moment, I wil come back later, to see whether they are a positive exception to all chromium based browsers.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
A question about this browser.
Do i have to install flash?
I gave it a try yesterday and i wanted to watch some live streaming games but i couldn't.
On the same time i could watch the same match using the exact same link on Cent Browser.
Any suggestion?

Y

yigido

A question about this browser.
Do i have to install flash?
I gave it a try yesterday and i wanted to watch some live streaming games but i couldn't.
On the same time i could watch the same match using the exact same link on Cent Browser.
Any suggestion?
Can you please check chrome://plugins ?
and tell me if you have "Widevine Content Decryption Module" ?

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@yigido tried to install Widevine but every time installation failed.
At the moment i will stick with Cent and i will keep looking for another chromium based browser.

Y

yigido

@yigido tried to install Widevine but every time installation failed.
At the moment i will stick with Cent and i will keep looking for another chromium based browser.
You can't add it manually. This is up to browser's developers.
Comodo is trying to add them into next coming releases..such codecs and plugins sometimes costs much to developers.
Please read about the costs of those codecs
Comodo Dragon v52.15.25.664 is now available for download. - News / Announcements / Feedback - CD | Page 2

It is so much money..and then think that why and how Google and others can give this free :rolleyes:

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thanks for this! I'l try it right away.

EDIT: i can't log into my Google account with Iridium and it's driving me crazy. Gives server connection errors.. Why can this be?

Last edited:
Reactions: tonibalas
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.