darrell goodstriker Secure Config

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
hello and thanks for sharing your config! first of all enable UAC , this is the basis for getting a secure config ( set it to max ) , secondly malwarebytes anti malware is NOT a replacement for a realtime av! so i would suggest enabeling windows defender to get baseline protection or another free av of choice : avast , avg or qihoo 360. or a paid one : fsecure , eset , bitdefender.....get more on demand scanners : zemana anti malware , emsisoft emergency kit. ad these extension to both firefox and chrome : kb ssl enforcer , ublock origin. and finally get a backup program easeus todo free or aomei backupper free are excellent choices :)

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
My Questions, Changes and suggestions are in red.

Operating System: Windows 10
OS Edition: Home
OS Build: 14393.447
OS Architecture: 64-bit
User Access Control: Disabled = Make to Always Notify you
Firewall: 3rd Party Firewall = Who is the 3rd party?
OS Security Updates: Manual = Change it to Automatic
OS File Reputation: Disabled = Turn on Windows Smartscreen (system-wide)
Type of User Account: Local Account
Recent Malware Attacks: Yes (In the last 3 months)
Testing AV's with Malware Samples: No
Real-time Malware Protection: none...Malwarebytes manual run = Is MBAM the premium version? If you do not want to pay for a AV i would go with Avast. Probably your best free choice. Paid for AV, well my choice will be a little biased but i would go with Emsisoft.
On-demand Scanners: none = If MBAM is not premium then i would move it into this area. Also add ZAM (Zemana Anti-Malware) + EEK (Emsisoft Emergency Kit) + HitmanPro.
Security Product Settings: Default = If you decided ever to go with Avast i would put it into Hardened Mode.
Browsers and Extensions: Firefox and Edge = Great first choice in browser. I would add for extensions, HTTPS Everywhere, Bitdefender Traffic Light, Some sort of adblock like uBlock Origin or Adguard.
Preferred Search Engine: google
Password Manager: none = LastPass Free is a good one.
Frequency of Data Backups: No Backups

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Current Status: PC At Risk!
  • User Access Control: Disabled
  • OS Security Updates: Manual
  • OS File Reputation: Disabled
  • Recent Malware Attacks: Yes (In the last 3 months)
  • Real-time Malware Protection: none...Malwarebytes manual run
  • Frequency of Data Backups: No Backups
Which 3rd Party Firewall do you use?

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
Thanks for sharing your config! :)

What i would do is;
- Enable UAC
- Enable Smartscreen
- Install Avast free antivirus
- Install zemana Anti-Malware for on-demand scanning
- Install chrome browser and add HTTPS Everywhere and Ublock Origin (Extensions)
- Make backups (Macrium reflect free is perfect for this)

Reactions: In2an3_PpG

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
No UAC
No Smartscreen
3rd Party Firewall ???????? I imagine Windows Firewall is turned on.
Basically no real time protection and on top of that a recent infection.
No on demand scanners other than Malwarebytes.
Hopefully Windows Defender is running but without the Firewall,UAC and Smartscreen the security of Windows 10 is null
Any browser extensions?
You should first straighten out the important security issues and then consider some other extensions and a data and system back up solution.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.