Advice Request Is 360 total security good?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
@Wave...I don't think @jackuars is having difficulty over your concerns to then be having a difficult time with what you have to say. Seems to me he's expressing another way to look at the issue, which does to me seem to be unbiased. I don't think he's attempting to silence you or anything.

They ruin their image by being regularly bundled with Adware, privacy policy is not fitting for a lot of people, they've been found to let through adware intentionally in the past and they have no paid products but have enough money to fund everything - this raises more questions. Money doesn't grow on tree's. It is what it is

I'd like to present another view of the above if I can. From a personal perspective, I think of the money as Chinese plain and simple...nothing else comes to mind. Lenovo fortunes do enter the picture as a possible source of backing for the startup of Qihoo, but I have no idea where the money comes from. I suspect there is very limited income being generated by the advertising and so on, and the company has skirted the edges of what would be considered ideal for a company in their position. But, at the end of it all, they've all been through the same thing. All of them. It's part of starting from scratch.

I don't feel that Qihoo has broken faith with their users. This is central to the legitimacy of the company. If the security programming wasn't pretty darn good->very good, none of that would matter o/c. But, when it's all said and done, they will come up with ways to generate income through the program, probably plug-ins, and the rest of the discussion will fade into ancient history.

Concerns are normal about a new security company...no question. It's good that issues about Qihoo are tossed around. In my opinion and maybe in jackuars too to a certain extent (idk), I have to say, however, that Qihoo is playing for keeps. We can get upset and worry about the way they have done things, but they have done all the important things the right way. Doing business with western companies like Amazon and HP->that brings serious legitimacy to the project and sets a standard for company employees to match.

The heat is on at Qihoo, and I am sure they are well aware of this. They cannot lose the partnerships they have made in the west, which they would lose if they broke faith with their clients and those relying on their software. So it's not freemefrommydata and helpmedownloadagame security they intend to provide long term. The signs are too real for me to take any other thinking seriously on any level.

souhrid

Level 5
Jun 29, 2012
Protection wise 360 is pretty good
Privacy wise not that good. Rest is upto the user's to trust and untrust. Only god knows what data's are collected and which all apps are spying on us. After watching " Snowden" we all know what the government and other agencies are capable to do to us.:rolleyes:

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
I don't trust them for many reasons, I guess them being Chinese does count as a reason. Why? Because I don't like their laws regarding data collection, copyright, etc

Honestly, if the problem is how governments collect data, copyright issues etc, then I wouldn't trust many software vendors. Think of Kaspersky Lab. It is based in Russia, a country which doesn't inspire my trust. Maybe Kaspersky could easily hand confidential data to Russian officials, but we never know. Until the day something is revealed, Kaspersky is a top leading security company trusted by many here at MT.

Also, consider the American companies. The US is very, very far from being a champion of privacy. In recent years, the NSA scandal has been uncovered: the US was spying world leaders; common citizens were also exposed with the cooperation of several US companies. Perhaps the likes of Microsoft, Google, Symantec have been handing our information or even allowing backdoors in their software so our privacy could be easily breached. What China does more openly, the US was doing more secretly.
If the main problem is the country where the company is based, I have the same reservations whether the company is American, Russian or Chinese, for example.
That being said, I don't trust Qihoo and it's much more about their business model and less about their country of origin.

I thought that most of the MT members distrusted AV-testing sites [from the comments I read here], but when they made a controversial decision to ban Qihoo, the finger's now point to the latter. I find that odd.
I have my reservations regarding the methods employed by AV-testing sites but honestly, what Qihoo did was dishonest. They deactivated their own QVM engine and replaced it with Bitdefender's. End users could not disable the QVM engine so the product Qihoo submitted is totally different from what they offer to customers. That is enough for me.

W

Wave

Honestly, if the problem is how governments collect data, copyright issues etc, then I wouldn't trust many software vendors.
The difference is that I don't care about the other governments, I just don't want the Chinese government to be collecting my info, especially not through a security product.

If U.S, UK, Russia or other ones do it then good for them, I just don't mind them.

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
I thought that most of the MT members distrusted AV-testing sites [from the comments I read here], but when they made a controversial decision to ban Qihoo, the finger's now point to the latter. I find that odd.
Surely you've heard the saying "the grass is greener on the other side".

In the cybersecurity world, there always has to be obvious protagonists/antagonists. Antagonists are not always malware, they are vendors as well. Otherwise, everyone's favourite security software would be "all of them" rather than a specific one. And when you have a specific favourite, you have to talk down the other vendors to convince yourself/others that your choice is the best choice. I could keep going, but I won't.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
The difference is that I don't care about the other governments, I just don't want the Chinese government to be collecting my info, especially not through a security product.
Same reason I don't and won't use Chinese Software, not until China's aggressive campaign and stance
on forcing software retailers to divulge so much directly to the Gvmt stops.
Until then I don't give a S*** who it upsets. ;)
Qihoo has a lot to learn about what it means to have "customer loyalty" and
what being a "security based" software is all about. Period.

W

Wave

Same reason I don't and won't use Chinese Software, not until China's aggressive campaign and stance
on forcing software retailers to divulge so much directly to the Gvmt stops.
Until then I don't give a S*** who it upsets. ;)
Qihoo has a lot to learn about what it means to have "customer loyalty" and
what being a "security based" software is all about. Period.
Honestly if I was them I would have registered the company within another country and assume that would work? not sure how this works but surely you can register a company from within another country and store any info on servers hosted in a country with less stricter laws to counter the chinese laws on requesting data and the such

If not if I was them I'd just move country, rather be successful and have a good image then let a government pull me down

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Honestly if I was them I would have registered the company within another country and assume that would work? not sure how this works but surely you can register a company from within another country and store any info on servers hosted in a country with less stricter laws to counter the chinese laws on requesting data and the such

If not if I was them I'd just move country, rather be successful and have a good image then let a government pull me down
Or, stand up, stand up right there in China and defend their users, it would encourage other companies to do the same
right there in China. Then maybe the Gvmt. would soften their stance for fear of loosing money.
That would be honorable, not gonna happen though ;)

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I have my reservations regarding the methods employed by AV-testing sites but honestly, what Qihoo did was dishonest. They deactivated their own QVM engine and replaced it with Bitdefender's. End users could not disable the QVM engine so the product Qihoo submitted is totally different from what they offer to customers. That is enough for me.

I thought my conversation ended at the last post. If the testing labs were concerned about what the antivirus gave to the general public, then they should have downloaded the product from their website. I don't get it, what you mean by "submitting" the product. They just download it. Honestly the way I see it, fault isn't with Qihoo's, it's with that of the labs. Nevertheless you and me know that Qihoo is still a great product and would have received good results.

I really don't get by some comments telling that if the US or Russia or any other country takes their personal data it wouldn't mean nothing to them but if the Chinese does it, it's a big sin. It's their own personal decision, and it doesn't need to be reflected in public without any proper judgement. It's probably like another hate line against the Muslims too. The product isn't the country, and vice versa. I wouldn't want anyone to judge about another in public because of their nationality, nor would anyone here. If they hate another's country of origin, let them keep it to themselves.

Think about this. I believe that Social media is a curse. Fake news and fake friends can only serve to create a fake society. Skilled users can manipulate whole segments of the population for political, religious, commercial or whatever else reason they choose. Why do you think the Chinese government restricts social media access and employs legions of minions to post on their equivalents of Facebook and Twitter? Suicide takes more teenage lives than ever, and social media may be why

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.