Advice Request Is 360 total security good?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crypto

Level 2
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Are you kidding me ?
China's own government orders the collection and handing over of collected telemetry and customer info, and thats not just from 360, its from all Chinese Software vendors.
Not long ago, twice they were caught letting adware and other material through for cash payment.
Enjoy your security product, courtesy of China
Don't take my word for it, do your homework ;)

I have done my homework actually. Avira, avast!, Kaspersky, etc. have nearly all had some sort of shadiness in the past and some even distributing its own type of adware by enabling toolbars and other things. 360TS is not the only AV vendor that has hidden from the light.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I have done my homework actually. Avira, avast!, Kaspersky, etc. have nearly all had some sort of shadiness in the past and some even distributing its own type of adware by enabling toolbars and other things. 360TS is not the only AV vendor that has hidden from the light.
And I have vast knowledge of even more than that, but guess what ?
I am not here championing for any of them, never will.
I know what to use and steer clear of, I do my homework and don't
post BS ;) ask anyone here.

W

Wave

And I have vast knowledge of even more than that, but guess what ?
I am not championing for any of them, never will.
I know what to use and steer clear of, I do my homework and don't
post BS ;)
Kaspersky prevent adware, they don't install it. I can't find any resources regarding what he's talking about related with Kaspersky pushing toolbars onto the system.

However, even if they did something like this back in 2006 or something, that's a big time difference compared to now with Qihoo :D

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Kaspersky prevent adware, they don't install it. I can't find any resources regarding what he's talking about related with Kaspersky pushing toolbars onto the system.

However, even if they did something like this back in 2006 or something, that's a big time difference compared to now with Qihoo :D
I can see right through it, I should have not even replied to him, but I was bored :p

Crypto

Level 2
Verified
Jan 14, 2017

I was talking about Kaspersky in general about the adware deal, I was pointing that toward avast!.

Here are some articles:
Avast Antivirus Was Spying On You with Adware (Until This Week)
HTTPS scanning in Kaspersky antivirus exposed users to MITM attacks
Good news: Avira to remove Searchfree Toolbar from its products - gHacks Tech News

You can find more on other vendors if you want.

Edit: No matter what AV you use, you're introduced to some sort of intrusion.

W

Wave

I was talking about Kaspersky in general about the adware deal, I was pointing that toward avast!.

Here are some articles:
Avast Antivirus Was Spying On You with Adware (Until This Week)
HTTPS scanning in Kaspersky antivirus exposed users to MITM attacks
Good news: Avira to remove Searchfree Toolbar from its products - gHacks Tech News

You can find more on other vendors if you want.

Edit: No matter what AV you use, you're introduced to some sort of intrusion.
Yes, the famous MITM attacks.

Sorry but what else do you propose they do to scan HTTPS sites? HTTPS isn't just for safe sites you know.

The Avast stuff may be very valid however SharePrice can be disabled now at least.

And as for Avira they probably employ high school GCSE students because it seems they still haven't changed much over the years lol

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I've found Qihoo to be bundled with a lot of adware installers in the past before as well, in some AV reviews in the past you can even see the Chinese version of Qihoo get installed, and then the tester gets confused and wonders if it's the genuine one or real, even though it's always the real one LOL.

So is Google Chrome bundled with CCleaner, Avast etc. Using promotions as a tool isn't a mistake, that's how it is to be done. Also Chrome has considerable privacy issues. But still people keep using it, more than 50% of them.

The day when I know that Qihoo has used my personal info or any others in any suspicious way, or took my money from my credit card [but it's already a billion dollar company] I'll stop using their products. Just because it's Chinese doesn't require it to be untrusted.

Business is business, whether it's in China or any part of the world. No product is foolproof. People only assume it to be.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
So is Google Chrome bundled with CCleaner, Avast etc. Using promotions as a tool isn't a mistake, that's how it is to be done. Also Chrome has considerable privacy issues. But still people keep using it, more than 50% of them.

The day when I know that Qihoo has used my personal info or any others in any suspicious way, or took my money from my credit card [but it's already a billion dollar company] I'll stop using their products. Just because it's Chinese doesn't require it to be untrusted.

Business is business, whether it's in China or any part of the world. No product is foolproof. People only assume it to be.
Good luck with that, see my job is not to convince you of anything, but deliver good , honest , educated advise.
What you do with it is up to you, and you alone. ;)

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Good luck with that, see my job is not to convince you of anything, but deliver good , honest , educated advise.
What you do with it is up to you, and you alone. ;)

Thanks for the heads up. Each to their own. :) I have seen countless people with too much paranoia related to privacy and security. My message was intended to them.

Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough. :D (courtesy Mark Twain)

W

Wave

@jackuars
Qihoo have a decent product, but they're having a laugh with their adware passes and data collection

China's own government orders the collection and handing over of collected telemetry and customer info, and thats not just from 360, its from all Chinese Software vendors.
Not long ago, twice they were caught letting adware and other material through for cash payment

Each to their own indeed :)

Just because it's Chinese doesn't require it to be untrusted.
I don't trust them for many reasons, I guess them being Chinese does count as a reason. Why? Because I don't like their laws regarding data collection, copyright, etc

I look at Qihoo and I feel something is odd and naturally don't trust it, but that's my opinion. we obviously have a different opinion; you love Qihoo and can't handle someone else disliking it, and I dislike them because I don't trust them.

that doesn't mean I think they have a bad product, I even admitted they did good work

I don't need to explain myself to anyone regarding why I don't trust them, I guess that's just not my problem

deal with it

Last edited by a moderator:

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I look at Qihoo and I feel something is odd and naturally don't trust it, but that's my opinion. we obviously have a different opinion; you love Qihoo and can't handle someone else disliking it, and I dislike them because I don't trust them.
No, I don't love Qihoo, infact am using KIS right now. I dislike opinions when it touches race and communities, along with assumptions of people that everyone is the same way in that particular community. The U.S.A isn't clean, nor isn't the country where I come from [which aint' China]. So let's restrict the talks to product-wise only, the pro's and it's con's. Thank you and I do agree difference in opinions. My comment isn't personal in any way.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Not going to fan boy an a-v, but watch this and see if your opinion changes about Qihoo at all:

AWS Case Study: Qihoo 360

Does this look like a disingenuous group? It doesn't to me. I use 360 on a few computers, but, when I attempt to look beyond the surface, I see something genuine happening.

Maybe it was a mistake to activate engines for testing by default that are free to activate in a product but not on by default. Otherwise, it's easy to start talk on the internet. Verified and documented facts are important when it comes to substantiating allegations however. I'd like to see more of those and less of the talk honestly.

I wonder how many people know that Qihoo uses Amazon servers to deliver updates? From the day they started with this, there was a big financial risk for the company. It can't be cheap to update computers through a company like Amazon, but they chose this way to do things. That's a big statement by the company that they want to be legit and a serious player. They're not going to be able to do this without creating a great product or by conning anyone.

Imo, the issues raised against Qihoo are exaggerated. Honestly, enabling Bitdefender and Avira engines for a test is so bad? Also, I wonder exactly how "clean" the testing services are now that it's a topic. Kind of reminds me in a way of Putin's reaction to being kicked out of the G8. "So, you kick us out of the G8, and we will make other friends and deal with others. You can decide who is losing." I feel this is a similar situation with Qihoo. Seriously, an illegitimate company wouldn't have survived the cheating accusations. That Qihoo did, leaves me questioning the entire testing matrix and wondering who really is conning who.

On the merits of the software...360 is good imo. There are others, but it's up to the user to determine which is best for your purpose. As far as development goes, I do feel confident that 360 is getting the same backing and support as more established programs like avast, avg, Bitdefender, and Avira. Interesting to be able to say this about a relatively new product.

Think about one thing. What is behind Qihoo? This didn't start in a garage. There is money behind this and possibly it is connected to the Chinese government in significant ways. If so, I think I would consider it mostly a foray on their part to look into what is in computer security and securing a network. Ultimately, I'm fairly certain the far east is going to go its own way with communications. I think Qihoo will be a big part of that, something of a Google of security for that part of the world maybe.

Learn to spot a good horse and he will reward you! :cool:

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Imo, the issues raised against Qihoo are exaggerated. Honestly, enabling Bitdefender and Avira engines for a test is so bad? Also, I wonder exactly how "clean" the testing services are now that it's a topic.

I thought that most of the MT members distrusted AV-testing sites [from the comments I read here], but when they made a controversial decision to ban Qihoo, the finger's now point to the latter. I find that odd.

Learn to spot a good horse and he will reward you! :cool:

This I agree with. That's the reason why I take a neutral stand in everything, be it the testing sites or Qihoo.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
For me is 360TS unnecessary because it has problem run under user account on Windows (most of features just does not work and asks admin rights). 360TS has problem with AV updates too. It is very slow. Bitdefender can use 2 days old databases.

100% legit and good facts. Thanks. It's behind BD and Avira with the defs. It still performs well, though. The BB elements are very good, and the detection is still very good. Also, the web app is underrated imo.

W

Wave

No, I don't love Qihoo, infact am using KIS right now.
I don't care if you're using Kaspersky Internet Security, it doesn't change the fact that you definitely do love Qihoo. This isn't the first time me and you have ended up in a debate regarding Qihoo due to difference in opinion, and each time it's happened it was you who was responding to an opinion of me or someone else, not the other way around. there wouldn't have been a debate in the first place if you weren't a fanboy...

I dislike opinions when it touches race and communities, along with assumptions of people that everyone is the same way in that particular community. The U.S.A isn't clean, nor isn't the country where I come from [which aint' China]. So let's restrict the talks to product-wise only, the pro's and it's con's.
Hold on a second, now you're putting words in my mouth.

I said:
I don't trust them for many reasons, I guess them being Chinese does count as a reason. Why? Because I don't like their laws regarding data collection, copyright, etc
When I said I do not trust them because they are Chinese I am not referring to it because the actual employee's are Chinese, but because I am not happy with the laws in China. In my opinion that is a very valid reason to not trust them, why on earth would I want the Chinese government (a foreign country I am not associated with in any way) to be collecting my data through a security product? (And as @_CyberGhosT_ already mentioned, they have to comply with such requests from the Chinese government).

I don't have a problem with the U.S, UK, Russian, Czech, German laws, etc... So why would I care about other vendors products from those areas?

It's my decision if I want to trust a product based on where it's origins are, and since I know that Qihoo does collect information and that they have to comply with the government if they request information, then yes it's a problem for me.

I'm sure the people behind Qihoo are very nice people and also very intelligent

This I agree with. That's the reason why I take a neutral stand in everything, be it the testing sites or Qihoo.
Qihoo have a good product but the problem is probably relating to their shady practices. They ruin their image by being regularly bundled with Adware, privacy policy is not fitting for a lot of people, they've been found to let through adware intentionally in the past and they have no paid products but have enough money to fund everything - this raises more questions. Money doesn't grow on tree's. It is what it is

You like Qihoo, I don't trust them. oh well, it's not the end of the world

Like I said, it's just not my problem if you like it or not, deal with it.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Qihoo have a good product but the problem is probably relating to their shady practices.

1. They ruin their image by being regularly bundled with Adware = Google Chrome [Avast, CCleaner]
2. privacy policy is not fitting for a lot of people = Google
3. they've been found to let through adware intentionally in the past = Google
4. they have no paid products but have enough money to fund everything - this raises more questions. Money doesn't grow on tree's. It is what it is = Google Chrome [90% of their revenue comes from advertising, so does Qihoo. Selling products isn't the only way to make money]

But you do love Google Chrome [post] Now you can comment on that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.