Is a Fingerprint scanner essential for Android Phones?

Shadowave

Level 10
Verified
Aug 10, 2012
pCS9WhR.jpg

Reactions: RicharDooM

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
The biometric system is not essential and even not so secure as we might think.
In fact, Elliot Williams of Hackaday claims it is less secure of authentication via alphanumeric password. To prove his statement he lists a series of critical issues.
Your Unhashable Fingerprints Secure Nothing
And honestly, probably just a marketing artifact
Fingerprint is more on customization rather on security side.
PIN code is still a good choice however it can be remove via factory settings unless you want to put protection too.
PIN code must be your backup security component since a fingerprint can be bypass with so many ways, by theory or actual.
Cannot agree more! It is more of a convenience than a security feature in most use cases.
It makes accessing some need-to-be-locked apps/transactions quicker via easier unlocks, especially when needed frequently.

It can be a saver if your phone is lost since easy lock patterns won't take too much time to be cracked unlike FPs (unless the FP can be reconstructed due to insufficient measures like lack of encryption/safe storage). Hardware level FP protection (like in MI phones) seem great. However FPs can be easily obtainable from real world like mentioned earlier, if the intents are not well.

While it might protect you from your peeping friends better, they (friends or parents) can access your phone through your fingerprint when you're asleep.Yes, I've tried that! :D Capacitive FP sensors are too swift.

Reactions: Winter Soldier

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
A well memorized 6-digit PIN or Pattern takes no longer, and you cannot use your Fingerprint ID to unlock the device upon a system reboot (at least on iPhone).

Yeah same on Android. I only reboot my phone once a day though.
Anyway it's just a matter of convenience. No major security differences.

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Hello,
it's not essential, but it's convenient, and it prevents from somebody to look at your pin or your pattern over your shoulder.

When I'm in a meeting with colleagues, I too often see some composing pin like 1234 or 0000.
And, on my old phone, I can see the pattern revealed on the glass because of the finger prints on the plastic.

And a very closed person always forget her pin, so she don't have security on its phone :-(
I think I will buy her a phone with a fingerprint scanner.

Reactions: Ink

Nuno

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2016
I would say it's not essential, I didn't really understood what the whole point of it was other than unlocking your phone in another way. It seemed like more of a nifty thing than an actual need.
However, since I got a phone with one, I find it especially useful, not just faster phone unlocking but also fingerprint protecting some important apps and banking apps.
It adds another layer of security on your phone and I appreciate that. I wish the banking apps I use supported a double layer of security, asking me for the pin code and fingerprint before accessing it. However they just let me pick one or the other. Bummer!

Now I do think, though, that the fingerprint scanner is a pretty nice feature to have, even to the point that I'd call it essential if you're looking for a new phone.

Reactions: Ink

ctrlz

Level 2
Verified
Mar 20, 2017
I thought it was not essential, until I bought a smartphone with fingerprint scanner, it literally increased everything (unlock, app authorization, password, ...)

Reactions: Nuno

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.