Question Is AdGuard Destop DNS Protection Working?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
I tried my NextDNS DoH in AdGuard DNS on AdGuard Desktop and also checked with the available Cloudflare Family, but both didn't block adult sites when I tested. Selecting AdGuard Family blocks adult sites. My NextDNS and Cloudflare blocked adult sites when added to Chrome and the network adapter. Can anyone with AdGuard Desktop check this?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It seems like your DNS settings in AdGuard Desktop might not be configured correctly. You could try rechecking the settings or contact AdGuard's support team for further assistance.

ZeroOne

Level 1
Mar 8, 2018
Replicated, Seems like a bug in Adguard Desktop.

Changed DNS to NextDNS (With Parental Control) in my Adguard home. All DNS Queries are Sent to NextDNS. (verified using dnstools.check and nextdns homepage )
Visited Adult Site, and it opened successfully, even though it is displayed as "Blocked" in NextDNS logs.

Results are inconsistent, some sites display NextDNS blocked page, some sites open (NextDNS Logs displays them as blocked)

Update: Tested both Edge and Firefox in Incognito Mode. Issues seems to be related to chromium based browsers.
All Adult Sites display NextDNS Block Page in Firefox

Last edited:

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
I tried my NextDNS DoH with Wi-Fi - Hardware Properties - DNS Assignment on Windows 11 23H2, and it didn't work either. I could access adult sites, and my NextDNS account displayed "using NextDNS with no profile". It works if I try the NextDNS IPv6 option. @ZeroOne, Can you check this out?

ZeroOne

Level 1
Mar 8, 2018
I tried my NextDNS DoH with Wi-Fi - Hardware Properties - DNS Assignment on Windows 11 23H2, and it didn't work either. I could access adult sites, and my NextDNS account displayed "using NextDNS with no profile". It works if I try the NextDNS IPv6 option. @ZeroOne, Can you check this out?
Sure, here are the results:

Edge: This device is using NextDNS with no profile.

Firefox: All good! (profile works).

Palemoon Browser: All Good (Profile works).

• Thanks
Reactions: rashmi

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I tried my NextDNS DoH in AdGuard DNS on AdGuard Desktop and also checked with the available Cloudflare Family, but both didn't block adult sites when I tested. Selecting AdGuard Family blocks adult sites. My NextDNS and Cloudflare blocked adult sites when added to Chrome and the network adapter. Can anyone with AdGuard Desktop check this?
Ensure that the following rules in setting>general>advanced setting as exactly like in the given image and then try.
2.png
1.png

• Thanks
Reactions: mlnevese and rashmi

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
capture_03312024_093805.jpg

Chromium based browsers try to use DNS by default, even when DOH is strictly set, unless you block it in the firewall. I setup DOH within each browser rather than using DHCP.
Code:
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" /v "BuiltInDnsClientEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" /v "DnsOverHttpsMode" /t REG_SZ /d "secure" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" /v "DnsOverHttpsTemplates" /t REG_SZ /d "https://family.adguard-dns.com/dns-query?" /f

capture_03312024_094414.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: rashmi and ZeroOne

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
These are Adguard Home (Self Hosted DNS Server) settings. We were testing NextDNS on Adguard Desktop (Desktop Application by Adguard).
No. These are adguard desktop settings. I have taken the image from my desktop pc. Go to settings>general>advanced and scroll down .you will get to see those settings.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
Today, when I'm trying NextDNS DoH in DNS Protection on AdGuard Desktop, it's working fine.
Also, NextDNS DoH works well when added to browsers.
And NextDNS IPv6 DoH works well when added to Windows 11.

Only NextDNS DoH IPv4 doesn't work when added to Windows 11.

Reactions: Brahman

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
That's strange. Do you have any other network drivers installed...like vpn or VMware etc?
I didn't connect to the VPN and also exited AdGuard Desktop completely and disabled the security software for testing NextDNS. Also, I noticed the same issue, NextDNS DoH IPv4 not working, on other systems with Microsoft Defender and Firewall only, as mentioned in the other thread.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Is the NextDNS app for Windows reliable? What do you suggest between the NextDNS app and YogaDNS, and why?
The nextdns app is okay if you just need Nextdns doh to work. But I suggest yogadns. It has so many customisation options and has zero dns leak. It natively supports Nextdns. If you are interested it can run as a windows system service, which makes it run even before you login. So no chance of dns leak at all. On top of that you can add as many doh dns as you wish.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
The nextdns app is okay if you just need Nextdns doh to work. But I suggest yogadns. It has so many customisation options and has zero dns leak. It natively supports Nextdns. If you are interested it can run as a windows system service, which makes it run even before you login. So no chance of dns leak at all. On top of that you can add as many doh dns as you wish.
Tried the NextDNS app, and the outcome was the same, i.e., NextDNS DoH IPv4 when added to Windows 11 didn't work.
Browsed the NextDNS forum and checked a few things.
1. NextDNS DoH IPv4, when added to Windows 11, worked with Firefox but not Chrome and Edge.
2. The suggested fix for Chrome was to disable "Async DNS resolver" in Chrome Flags, but it appears Chrome removed it. No such setting in Edge either.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Tried the NextDNS app, and the outcome was the same, i.e., NextDNS DoH IPv4 when added to Windows 11 didn't work.
Browsed the NextDNS forum and checked a few things.
1. NextDNS DoH IPv4, when added to Windows 11, worked with Firefox but not Chrome and Edge.
2. The suggested fix for Chrome was to disable "Async DNS resolver" in Chrome Flags, but it appears Chrome removed it. No such setting in Edge either.
Try yogadns see if it works for you.

Reactions: rashmi

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
Try yogadns see if it works for you.
I was interested in NextDNS because of the native DoH service in Windows 11. AdGuard DNS DoH, too, didn't work with Windows 11. I would continue the Kaspersky subscription or use the free version (which includes all core protection features) instead of installing software for the DNS-based service to work. With Kaspersky, I would get superior protection compared to installing software for the DNS-based service: many and more effective categories (including apps), protection with a VPN connected too, default adult keyword blocking, etc.

I may test the following setup: NextDNS in browsers + Google Search and YouTube set to Safe and Restricted in Windows Hosts (as backup protection).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.