Is an AntiLogger needed?

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

An Anti-Logger is not necessarily needed but certainly good to compliment other security products, if you wish to use one I highly recommend Zemana Anti-Logger (Premium IF you can) as it has more features than just an Anti-Logger like system defense and built-in cloud file reputation. :)

Overlord

Level 10
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 22, 2013
Thanks what does a Anti-Logger basically do ?
For example, Zemana AntiLogger Pro protects:

• Financial Malware Protection
  • IntelliGuard - Cloud Powered Early Response System
  • Keystroke Logging Protection
  • Screen Capture Protection
  • Webcam Hijacking Protection
  • Microphone Hijacking Protection
  • Clipboard Remote Access Protection
  • System Intrusion Protection
How It Works ?
AntiLogger works alongside with the anti-virus products, adding an essential layer of security and increasing your protection level to maximum. It is extremely efficient against ID Theft and online banking fraud.
Best part of AntiLogger is the ability to protect you even against the threats which remain undetected by any anti-virus product.
More info: Zemana AntiLogger - Identity Theft Prevention at its Best

H

hjlbx

Is a AntiLogger needed ?

This is a huge topic - so my reply below is not even the proverbial "tip of the iceberg."

It isn't absolutely required. However, adding an anti-logger to your security configuration might be a smart move. Whether or not it is needed is dependent upon the degree of risk in your day-to-day surfing, other installed softs, and whether or not you use a security soft that includes HIPS or lock-down security soft (a software restriction policy or anti-executable).

Basically - The best HIPS will detect the installation of a keylogger. The software restriction policy or anti-executable will block the installation of a keylogger. So, in theory, there should be no need for an anti-logger since the HIPS, SRP or AE blocks its installation in the first place - unless you, the user, allow it to be installed.

Generally, security soft suites and dedicated anti-loggers have limited success against the full-range of keylogging techniques.

One thing to understand about anti-loggers is that the best ones protect against most - but not all - keylogging. Despite being available for a long time, security soft and other developers have been unable (for various technical reasons) to come up with 100 % reliable anti-logger protection. It's a rather large and technically complicated topic.

Another thing to understand is that keylogging does not require the installation of a keylogger onto the physical system. There are various means to capture keystrokes in-the-browser - especially using scripts. To protect against this sort of logging, the best defense is to employ a NoScript-type browser add-on.

If you think that you could benefit from an anti-keylogger, I suggest a good start by evaluating the free versions of KeyScrambler, Zemana AntiLogger and\or SpyShelter Anti-KeyLogger.

I should add that most security soft geeks do not go out of their way to use an anti-logger. If their security solution incorporates anti-logger functionality then that's fine.

The general attitude I have seen towards anti-loggers from more advanced users is one of skepticism regarding anti-logger effectiveness and\or they just feel they do not need it because of their security config, use habits, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.