Is an AV required to be safe with Windows 7 ?

Is an antivirus required to be safe with Windows 7?

• Yes

Votes: 45 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 23.7%

• Total voters
T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
Hello, all is in the title : Is an AV required to be safe with windows 7 ?
I'm asking MalwareTips because an AV uses a lot of resources.
If I don't use an antivirus, which free software can protect my pc ?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Yes you need a security solution on Win7 (unlike Win8/10)

If you dont want a resources hog solution, take a look on anti-executables like NVT ExeRadarPro or virtualization softwares like Sandboxie (free version) or TimeFreeze.

T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
@Umbra I heard that antivruses (not HIPS/firewall) are useless because detection rating isn't good and it's just comercial products... what do yout think of that ?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
@Umbra I heard that antivruses (not HIPS/firewall) are useless because detection rating isn't good and it's just comercial products... what do yout think of that ?

This is what i preach since quite a long time. Check the red sentence in my signature :p

I will never say they are useless, they have their usefulness but when you reach a certain level of expertise/knowledge , you realize that they are not necessary anymore, the signature AV model has no more value when thousands of new malwares And variants emerge everyday.

How can you protect against a threat you dont see coming...?

Now every serious AV vendors have to integrate some zero-day protection , by this they openly admit the defeat of the signature model.

T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
Ok, Thank you very much.
So how to protect your computer for free without antivirus ?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Free virtualization, sandboxes, anti-executables; but some knowledges of your system is necessary.

If your knowkedge is limited, free cloud AVs are better suited.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You need a protection as much as possible in any areas, just one sufficient AV then good to go.

Consider yourself the risk level factors that you experience where that's the time to add another layer.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello, all is in the title : Is an AV required to be safe with windows 7 ?
I ask MT for that because an AV is a lot of pain, ressources consuption.
If I don't use an antivirus wich free software can protect my pc ?
Thanks.
Antivirus software is like a car seat belt... sure you don't need it all the time, however if a car accident happens you would be really happy that you were wearing one... So yes, antivirus software is something that you should have on your computer.

If your machine specifications don't allow you to run an antivirus software, then like the other members said you could run software that basically limit how programs run on your computer.
You could run your browser and new (suspicious) programs within a sandbox (Sandboxie)

,and scan your downloads with an on-demand scanner (Malwarebytes, HitmanPro or even better upload the downloads to VirusTotal.com). You could also use an anti-executable. Also please set the User Account Control to "Always notify me".
Description

• You'll be notified before apps make changes to your PC or to Windows settings that require administrator permissions.

• When you're notified, your screen will be dimmed, and you must either approve or deny the request in the UAC dialog box before you can do anything else on your PC.
  • This is the most secure setting.

• When you're notified, you should carefully read the contents of each dialog box before allowing changes to be made to your PC.
Security impact
  • This is the most secure setting.

• When you're notified, you should carefully read the contents of each dialog box before allowing changes to be made to your PC.
Read more: What are User Account Control settings? - Windows Help

Because you have nothing installed to protect you in real-time from malware, you will have to compensate that by using common sense...First rule, do not run programs that are downloaded from a questionable source...

If you want a custom made security layer, I would start a thread in this forum - Security Configuration Wizard - and specify that you don't want to use an antivirus.

Free virtualization, sandboxes, anti-executables; but some knowledges of your system is necessary.

Hah, @Umbra beat me to it... I was going to give same answer.

Freeware:
  • Sandboxie
  • NVT ERP
  • uBlock Origin
  • LastPass
Your computing habits way more important than any software in securing your system.

Last edited:
L

LabZero

Thread author
If you use your PC without a minimum of attention to basic safety rules (keep the system well updated, use the greatest mistrust of any executable, exercise common sense!) this PC is intended to contract malware regardless of any antivirus or less.

superboy123

Level 4
Verified
May 1, 2012
in my opinion..you need antivirus if you connect with internet and download any illegal software and game...

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I vote no because common sense is the answer to everythings. Many peoples don't even used AV at all, and their PC managed to be clean at all the times. But if you feels your common sense are not always accurate then having one is not going to hurt at all.

Common sense will not help you against a properly made encrypted FUD packed into a legit soft installer with stolen certificate (even some AV will not help you against it), or a legit site exploited.

Sorry to be pessimistic but facts are here.

Common sense is one security step but cant replace a security soft by itself.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.