Is antivirus dead? Startup launches first 'exploit blocking' program

Will you try ExploitShield Browser Edition ?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Only after the final version will be released.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No.

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Network World said:
Silicon Valley startup ZeroVulnerabilityLabs has made available a free program it claims stops malware from exploiting a wide range of software vulnerabilities regardless of whether these flaws are publically known or not.

Available now in a beta version for consumers and non-profits (the business version requires a license), ExploitShield Browser Edition is designed to be "install and forget," the company said.

Once installed, the software named 17 applications as being protected, including the most common and troublesome ones such as Adobe Reader and Flash, Java, Microsoft Office, various browsers and a number of video players. Others may be added in future.

Security innovations pop up from time to time and this one represents a lateral approach to what has become a major - possibly the major issue - for consumers and businesses alike; how to secure PCs when software flaws crop up on an almost daily basis.

The overwhelming majority of Windows malware attacks now hook into common flaws as a way of infecting their targets with many automated using commercial exploit kits serving attacks from compromised websites. Patching is one answer but this can be exhausting. The number of flaws has become a major overhead even for single consumers.

At the same time it has become apparent that conventional antivirus software isn't stopping all or even most of this kind of malware which raises an obvious question: what is ExploitShield doing that is different?

Read more: http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/100212-is-antivirus-dead-startup-launches-262956.html

Last edited:

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Looks interesting but for now I'm going to wait but could be an addition to my arsenal :p

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
Not the browser edition,but they claim they have a corporate edition (closed beta),which blocks exploits in applications,that would be an interesting bet.

I voted no on exploit shield browser edition because i use sandboxie and all my browsers are sandboxed and set to delete the content automatically after closure.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
if it works like thay say it would be great for the novice

i'v put Sandboxie on friend's and Family computers that i
work on and most doin't like it or understand how to work
with it :(

so if it do's work and don't interfere with a AV then it
could be very useful for a lot of people i know anyway's

:)

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
There are all kinds of security games we can play, but I am very content with TF L5 complementing Sandboxie, and using mostly HitMan Pro for on-demand scans. It is an excellent trio.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
ZeroDay said:
I tried it. I'll wait until it matures before I re-install

I also tried it and I could find any exploits that it would block since my browsers and Avast already blocked all listed on their forums and MDL.

Of coarse if my browsers and my AV start to not block exploits then I might give it a second chance if it remains to be freeware after it goes final.

Thanks.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.